Tires for “Road and Track”

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My car is not a daily driver and the Pirelli’s are wearing out so I’m looking at new tires that are street legal but excellent road course tires. I know everyone says Michelin Pilot Sport but anyone with track experience found anything better? Summer tires are fine I’m retiring to southern AZ so they’ll never see wet pavement but plenty of open road and the track in Chandler.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My car is not a daily driver and the Pirelli’s are wearing out so I’m looking at new tires that are street legal but excellent road course tires. I know everyone says Michelin Pilot Sport but anyone with track experience found anything better? Summer tires are fine I’m retiring to southern AZ so they’ll never see wet pavement but plenty of open road and the track in Chandler.
Hankook R-S4. More track durable than the PS4S or PSS and faster.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hankook R-S4. More track durable than the PS4S or PSS and faster.
Right. RS4s are a good choice for dry warm conditions and will outlast many others at the track. Our heavy cars are hard on tires and the RS4s should actually hold up pretty well. The only downsides to those tires is they aren't the best in the wet (not a prob in AZ) and if you're doing double duty street/track they're going to heatcycle quickly and get pretty hard.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If the car is not a daily driver, just go straight to a Nitto NT01, Toyo R888R or the new Nankang AR-1. There is not anything else stickier other than going to a Hoosier or full race slick.

Next would be the Michelin Sport Cup 2. It would last a little longer than the other ones mentioned, but you would give up some grip.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
My 17 GT PP on an upgraded coilover suspension would slide easily with the P-Zeros, front and rear, most likely because of the weight of the car. ( My wife’s Camry S with P-Zeros sticks like glue).
I have since used 2 other tires from Nitto that stick really well, the NT05 is awesome, performs excellently on the street or performance driving, but if it’s cold of wet stay home! Lol!
The other Nitto tire that is a really nice compromise is the INVO, sticky and still reasonably safe in the rain.
The other tires mentioned previously by others are also excellent choices and I’ve used most of them on other lighter vehicles, just not on my 17 GT yet.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My 17 GT PP on an upgraded coilover suspension would slide easily with the P-Zeros, front and rear, most likely because of the weight of the car. ( My wife’s Camry S with P-Zeros sticks like glue).
I have since used 2 other tires from Nitto that stick really well, the NT05 is awesome, performs excellently on the street or performance driving, but if it’s cold of wet stay home! Lol!
The other Nitto tire that is a really nice compromise is the INVO, sticky and still reasonably safe in the rain.
The other tires mentioned previously by others are also excellent choices and I’ve used most of them on other lighter vehicles, just not on my 17 GT yet.
NT05 aren't very good compared with a huge selection of other tires. It's extremely old tech and not worth saving a couple hundred bucks (if that).

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have a few questions my rear PZero's are running out 275/40/19. I have PP car so staggered with 255/40/19. I have hard time finding PS4s but I want a better tires for track use.
I see FPRS Mustangs use 285/35/19 all around on the PP wheels but my question is how ?
Also If I decide to go with 275/35/19 on the back what I should run on the front as I assume 255/40/19 will not be smart ?
I'm looking into a way to fit Continental SportContact 6 as this are available but the back size is 275/35 ?
Please advice I want to get new tires in the next few weeks preferably before months end.

My options are ether buy rear PZero's (which I hate). Or go with a new set of 4 tires all around. I'm looking into options for the stock PP wheels. The car will see track duties as well so this should be suitable for track use.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have a few questions my rear PZero's are running out 275/40/19. I have PP car so staggered with 255/40/19. I have hard time finding PS4s but I want a better tires for track use.
I see FPRS Mustangs use 285/35/19 all around on the PP wheels but my question is how ?
Also If I decide to go with 275/35/19 on the back what I should run on the front as I assume 255/40/19 will not be smart ?
I'm looking into a way to fit Continental SportContact 6 as this are available but the back size is 275/35 ?
Please advice I want to get new tires in the next few weeks preferably before months end.

My options are ether buy rear PZero's (which I hate). Or go with a new set of 4 tires all around. I'm looking into options for the stock PP wheels. The car will see track duties as well so this should be suitable for track use.

Instead of looking for a tire with the same width, look for a tire that is a a size a two wider with the same aspect ratio.

So an option would be 265/40/10 front and 285/40/19 or 275/35/19 and 295/35/19. This may open up a few more options.

One thing that needs clarity is what is meant for tires for both "road and track". Do you want a street tire that is good on the track? Or do you want a track tire that is good on the street? The Michelin PS4 is a great street tire that is decent on the track. If your care is a daily drive than stick with that. You could get away with a Michelin Cup 2 as they are standard equipment on a lot of OEM cars and its good on the track.

If your car is not a daily, then go straight to an NT01 or R888R.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Instead of looking for a tire with the same width, look for a tire that is a a size a two wider with the same aspect ratio.

So an option would be 265/40/10 front and 285/40/19 or 275/35/19 and 295/35/19. This may open up a few more options.

One thing that needs clarity is what is meant for tires for both "road and track". Do you want a street tire that is good on the track? Or do you want a track tire that is good on the street? The Michelin PS4 is a great street tire that is decent on the track. If your care is a daily drive than stick with that. You could get away with a Michelin Cup 2 as they are standard equipment on a lot of OEM cars and its good on the track.

If your car is not a daily, then go straight to an NT01 or R888R.
I was wondering how Ford are fitting 285/35/19 all around on what appears to be PP wheels:
http://fordperformanceracingschool.com/en/more/fprs-vehicles/142-2015-fprs-mustang-gt.html#!QA1O1212

And also what are my current options if I don't want to change the wheels. Ideal will be PS4s with the factory sizes but in Europe they are not available at the moment (probably will be available next spring).

I plan to put the car away for winter which in my country start around November and last till April. So I basically need a tires till November will probably just buy rear PZero's and buy full set of PS4s in Spring.

But I guess I will buy second set of wheels and tires for track eventually.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering how Ford are fitting 285/35/19 all around on what appears to be PP wheels:
http://fordperformanceracingschool.com/en/more/fprs-vehicles/142-2015-fprs-mustang-gt.html#!QA1O1212

And also what are my current options if I don't want to change the wheels. Ideal will be PS4s with the factory sizes but in Europe they are not available at the moment (probably will be available next spring).

I plan to put the car away for winter which in my country start around November and last till April. So I basically need a tires till November will probably just buy rear PZero's and buy full set of PS4s in Spring.

But I guess I will buy second set of wheels and tires for track eventually.
Those FPRS cars are not running PP wheels, they are 9.5" or 10" wide I believe. You /can/ squeeze a 285/35R19 on a 9" wheel, but nobody really recommends it except as a last resort.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those FPRS cars are not running PP wheels, they are 9.5" or 10" wide I believe. You /can/ squeeze a 285/35R19 on a 9" wheel, but nobody really recommends it except as a last resort.
The rims sure looks like the PP wheels my guess is since the rear are 9.5" that they are using spacers and putting the 9.5" at the front.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Love my R888R’s. They’re a little noisy, but man they are sticky.

285/35R19 fronts
325/30R19 rears
DBDE1354-73A6-4ABE-97AC-93A153D607DC.png

BLSTOIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
NT05 aren't very good compared with a huge selection of other tires. It's extremely old tech and not worth saving a couple hundred bucks (if that).
Mine have an insane amount of grip
Sponsored