tire question

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
With 15,000 miles on my car, it's time for new rear tires. I know there has been a lot of discussion on tires here already.. but not sure if this has been discussed before.

I replaced my fronts due to improper alignment and showing the cords around 11,000 miles. Now that the rears are needing to be replaced, I'm wondering about running a different brand in the rear. Do people do this? Obviously a perfect scenario would be all 4 needing replacing but this won't happen.

I'm currently running the Michelin SuperSports (4s I think) on all 4.

Wanted to try the conti sport 2. Are there issues with running 2 different brands performance wise? I'm assuming not but just wanted to confirm as I'm not a tire expert.
Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I'd highly recommend the Pilot Sport 4s. I've gone thorough 4 sets and am never running a different tire. The ability to drive to work during the week and then take it to the track and perform well is unbeatable. A friend has the conti sport and likes them but always wishes he had my tires.

OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'd highly recommend the Pilot Sport 4s. I've gone thorough 4 sets and am never running a different tire. The ability to drive to work during the week and then take it to the track and perform well is unbeatable. A friend has the conti sport and likes them but always wishes he had my tires.
I believe the 4s is discontinued. Only ones available are the Super Sport or Cup 2 which I don't ever track. Just highway and back roads.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I believe the 4s is discontinued. Only ones available are the Super Sport or Cup 2 which I don't ever track. Just highway and back roads.
Oh man :( If that's the case the conti is pretty good. I'd pick the cup 2 over the super sport as its newer. Cup 2 has my vote for mountain roads, but it can be worn out pretty easily if your spinning your wheels a lot.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its typically a bad idea to mix and match different types of tires, esp on a sports car. The grip available (or lack of) can surprise you when the different tires respond differently to wet, cold, or hot conditions. Same tires will respond consistently.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Backwards. Super sports are discontinued (but still availible in a few sizes) the MP4S is the newer replacement.

OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yes, of course I am because that's the stock size on the gt350. I've checked four different websites and they only seem to make it in a 305/30-19, not a 305/35-19.

So this brings me back to my original question since I can't get the 4s. Go with the Supersport (I can still get them) or try the conti on the rear

you’re looking at one soecific size, and jts one of the few they haven’t upgraded to the 4S line. The MPSS is old, the 4S is new.

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
Correct Michelin PS4s is the newest performance sport tire from Michelin.

And as stated above mixing compounds and tread designs is not recommended for predictability reasons.

Sport Cup 2 is avalible in multiple speed ratings

Michelin products

PS4S
Available in 305/30 & 315/30. But that’s a shorter rear tire.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
It all depends on what you want to accomplish with said tires. If it’s going to be a daily with maybe some spirited driving peppered in Pirelli Pzero, Good year F1 Supercar, Michelins PS4s, even Contis extreme contact 02.

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
I just put new shoes on my 350. I put the OEM MPSS in the OEM sizes and Costco had them in about 2 weeks. I track the car 4-6 times per year and its my daily driver in good weather. I am sure the Cup 2's are better on the track, but I did not want to run those on the street where I am driving the most.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For some reason the PS4s come in the front OEM size but do not come in the OEM rear tire size and never have (305/35/19). You can get them in 295/30/19 and 305/30/19 to have the same tire all around and many do but your car is lower and to some of us the car is already low enough! So if you stick with Michelins and 35 the rears will be either super sports or cup 2s and unless you track or drive very extreme the super sports are fine. I do not have the knowledge to comment on mix and match brands but believe those who say it isn't a good idea.
That being said, I have had PS4s on the front and super sports on the rear for many miles, no track, and have had zero problems with that set up. Although the mileage stated for the super sports and the 4s is supposed to be the same, and perhaps it is my driving habits, the 4s last a lot longer on the front than the super sports.
So I would put super sports on the rears and when it's time to replace fronts or rears next then would be the time to switch brands and get all four at once if you want out of the Michelin market.

OP
OP
Blwnsmoke

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. I just ordered 2 Pilot SS from BB wheels for $372 each so I'll just stick with the originals for one more round. Hopefully the front and rears will be close to changing together next time.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. I just ordered 2 Pilot SS from BB wheels for $372 each so I'll just stick with the originals for one more round. Hopefully the front and rears will be close to changing together next time.
You'll have a great experience with the SS. Its a good everyday tire!
Sponsored