Sponsored

Tire Pressure Gauge

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
My 13 year old Intercomp 360060 does not seem to be reading accurately anymore and they claim it can not be re-calibrated. Any recommendations for a replacement gauge?
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What about your onboard monitor?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a longacre 52001 that I absolutely adore.

Edit: mine might not be a 52001 but it's a longacre and I like it.

OP
OP
tom_sprecher

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about your onboard monitor?
The YJ, FXSTB, XR250, and F250 do not have one. Besides, while searching for "tire pressure gauge" on here, the TPMS can be notoriously inaccurate according to some posts.

Proper wheel alignment and tire pressure are essential to long tire life. I have 23k miles on the P Zeroes that came with the car and they still have about 5/32" left. The first set of BFG AT's on the F250 went over over 100k miles.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Just checked my tire pressure with a digital accutire gauge, vs my onboard monitor. Both were 32psi.
and accuracy is subjective. 32.1psi reading would be 10x more accurate, 32.12 would be 100x more etc., etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
tom_sprecher

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, but using your TPMS to check for the proper pressure while adding air to all four tires is a huge PITA. Wait, did you just mention a tire pressure gauge? ;)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
ya a accutire digital gauge. I use it when I put on the bias plys. It's pretty good. 20 bucks iirc.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I use the Accutire digital gauge as well. Very accurate for digital. It's lasted for years too.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I use one of these for normal and autocross. Works well and is consistent/identical with my other gauges which all read slightly lower than the TPMS sensors in the current set of autocross wheels.

http://www.soloperformance.com/Joes-Racing-Pro-Tire-Gauge-0-60psi--32317_p_13225.html

I tried a Joes digital gauge and simply prefer the analog type for quick easy accurate use during an autocross. Racer reviews of higher price gauges both digital and analog all have similar comments and preferences. The biggest concern with an analog gauge is damage from dropping. Been there done that.

A couple of nice features about this Joes gauge is that the angled head swivels easily and the hose is relative long and flexible. Both are important when doing quick pressure checks and pressure bleeds between autocross runs.

OP
OP
tom_sprecher

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whichever one I get needs a swivel head, long hose and a bleed valve. The Intercomp 360060 was left over from my racing days and took a lot of abuse which is probably why it is no longer accurate across the entire range.

Once you have used a good tire gauge you'll never go back.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whichever one I get needs a swivel head, long hose and a bleed valve. The Intercomp 360060 was left over from my racing days and took a lot of abuse which is probably why it is no longer accurate across the entire range.

Once you have used a good tire gauge you'll never go back.
Yep! Both the analog and digital Joes gauges I have meet your criteria. What I didn't like about the digital gauge was in my preferred holding position based on decades of use with similar analog gauges the digital numbers were upside down. Also it somehow didn't seem as easy to sneak up on the target pressure when bleeding pressure. Maybe the lack of precision of a needle versus a digit?

I always carry two gauges which read the same (or a known difference such as 1 lb) in case one dies. Back in our formula car days we had two identical gauges. One for me and one for my wife so either of us could set the pressures accurately/consistently. Unfortunately gravity worked too many times. :doh:

OP
OP
tom_sprecher

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formula car? Before racing IT7, I was crew chief of a FC team running SCCA. Those Hoosier bias-ply slicks took some serious tire management if you didn't what to spend your mortgage payment every month on tires.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formula car? Before racing IT7, I was crew chief of a FC team running SCCA. Those Hoosier bias-ply slicks took some serious tire management if you didn't what to spend your mortgage payment every month on tires.
Autocross FF in CM for 20 years. 2 sets in "serious" years simply for freshness since they never wore out. Towed long distances on an open trailer so wind and sun were concerns.
Sponsored