Sponsored

Tire Air Valve cap keeps coming off!

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have one wheel that keeps losing the valve cap. I know there isn't anyone messing with it, as a couple of days ago I put a new cap on and drove for 5 miles and it was gone again. I am guessing I could put a piece of clear tape over it or get Discount Tire to change out the valve stem.
Sponsored

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Wrap some teflon tape on the thread first then cap it?
Teflon Tape is super slick and is made to make threads more slick so you can tighten the connection further without damaging the pipe to prevent leaks. Doubt he could tighten the cap beyond what he already is. Would probably just cause it to unscrew easier.

A little tiny dab of silicon adhesive on valve thread near the bottom will hold it on and allow removing later.

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Thanks, guys I am off to buy some more caps. Already removed 2 from my summer wheels and lost them on this wheel. I will try the adhesive idea, as I have some around somewhere in the garage.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Thanks, guys I am off to buy some more caps. Already removed 2 from my summer wheels and lost them on this wheel. I will try the adhesive idea, as I have some around somewhere in the garage.
Maybe get the wife or GF to screw it on tighter for you :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Put a dab of black RTV sealant in one spot on the thread and then install the cap. That should hold it and if you need to get it off, it won’t be super difficult.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I had this issue with some aftermarket wheels. The cause was that the stem wasn’t installed properly so when the wheel would spin the stem would wobble. Have you had your wheels replaced? If not maybe the treads were damaged

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. These are on my latest set of Velgens. Discount installed the TPMS, stems, and tires. I am sure I could go to them and they would replace. There is only one in town and they stay busy. I hate to wait for hours lol. It isn't losing any air, so will do the quick glue whatever fix and then when it warms up here and I put my summer wheels and tires back on, I'll take them to replace the valve stem.

I had this issue with some aftermarket wheels. The cause was that the stem wasn’t installed properly so when the wheel would spin the stem would wobble. Have you had your wheels replaced? If not maybe the treads were damaged

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
I have one wheel that keeps losing the valve cap. I know there isn't anyone messing with it, as a couple of days ago I put a new cap on and drove for 5 miles and it was gone again. I am guessing I could put a piece of clear tape over it or get Discount Tire to change out the valve stem.
We would be happy to swap the valve out for you. Although this is extremely odd, its possible the valve threads are damaged allowing the cap to come off. As long as the tire is not leaking its certainly not a safety issue, however a nuisance.

PM on the way.

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. RTV it is until I can get to have the valve stem replaced. It's definitely stripped as the caps don't grip at all.
Sponsored