Sponsored

TINTING windows?!????... how do you stop window from going up to seal that 1/4 inch...

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The tint installer specifically states don't roll windows down for 3 to 5 days after tinting...
But, our cars w frame less windows have this auto movement sealing feature that moves windows up and down when opening the door.
How will the tint guy stop that movement from happening? Maybe pull the fuse? So the windows don't move at all.
If he leaves 1/8”edge between the top of the glass and the cut edge like he supposed to, it’s no big deal. Most tints will start to stick pretty well within 30 minutes.

Stop being paranoid.
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
What year is your stang? Mine is a 2021 and when u open door, the window moves up and down 1/4-1/2 inch to seal properly automatically. If you have fresh tint on and not supposed to open windows, how do you stop that feature from happening?
I also have a 2021 you can’t stop that window roll down when opening the door. Your tint guy needs to use a heat gun to speed up the adhesion in that area. If you prevent the window from rolling down when opening the door you will damage the seal

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
The tint installer specifically states don't roll windows down for 3 to 5 days after tinting...
But, our cars w frame less windows have this auto movement sealing feature that moves windows up and down when opening the door.
How will the tint guy stop that movement from happening? Maybe pull the fuse? So the windows don't move at all.
That they do—and that our cars do. At like 1/8" of movement, though, it really isn't a huge deal. They told me not to roll them down for at least 48 hours, and nothing more. They most definitely did not yank a fuse and tell me to put it back in in a couple days.

I think you may be overthinking this a tad, and conflating the minimal movement the windows automatically do with rolling them down into the door. Don't worry about it. The autoscroll is not going to yank correctly applied tint off.

EDIT: And yes, as Soulja points out, preventing the window rolling down risks damaging the window or the door seal. Don't be paranoid, it will cause more damage in the long run. :like:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'm curious why the OP doesn't bring this concern up with the tint installer he is going to use?
Our cars aren't the only ones that do the window drop thing. Lots of cars do it to eliminate the pressure bump when the doors shut.
I can't imagine that the installer hasn't come across this yet. And if they can't answer the question you might want to consider a different installer..
Oh, and the convertibles do it too.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Ding ding.
This. My tint guy does the same thing. Not a problem, although I did leave outside for a few days to dry out any remaining water bubbles just in case.

Sponsored

Delusioned

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
As everyone else has said, practically speaking the movement of the window up and down that little bit won't hurt anything.

With that said, if you are hell-bent on disabling it, I'm fairly sure it can be done through FORScan.

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Personally, I have never seen a good DIY job for tinting. I usually cringe when I see peoples home made jobs. IMHO you should get it professionally done.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Personally, I have never seen a good DIY job for tinting. I usually cringe when I see peoples home made jobs. IMHO you should get it professionally done.
He’s not doing it himself. His installer is talking about not moving the entire window up and down not the 1/4” drop to protect the seal.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The slight drop from opening and closing the doors is not going to harm any tint that was installed correctly. OP have you noticed how most of us have tints? How many have you heard say something went wrong by getting in and out of the car? You will be fine.
Sponsored