Sponsored

Did you remove the neck off your Shiftek X-Pipe?

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello all,

I'm not sure if anyone read their instructions before installing but if you had there were a couple cool factoids about the whole process.

Stock CFM of Airflow through the 28" section of Exhaust that contains the x-pipe - measured @ 15" WC (~0.55psi):
Stock - 729cfm - Due to factory X meeting at a 90 degree angle and having significant restriction at the X
Shiftek w/neck down - 747cfm - Smoother transition at the X meeting and less pipe restriction
Shiftek without neck down - 882 cfm - Maximum pipe area for airflow and louder sound

Did anyone remove it? Did anyone do a before and after test? DB readings?

Thanks
Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I removed mine. No testing. More is better.

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
Did not remove mine - it changes the tone. Makes it more raspy. Glad I didn't remove mine, the sound is absolutely perfect.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I removed the neck down, but also had to shorten the Shiftek pipe by 7 inches because I modified the factory pipes in the rear to except a good 2 1/2 inch barrel clamp. Now I can swap out my factory resonator or the X pipe in about five minutes. . . . whatever I'm in the mood for and the system is more stable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So I took it off and at 0ft with an iPhone the highest DB was measured at 127 db. I know motortrend was roughly 10ft away when they got the pass at 114 db so may be close. Either way, it sounds pretty bad ass with the neck off and I'm not disappointed. LOL my installers didn't listen to me and ego'd me with the lines "we do this all the time, we don't need instructions..."

Well... they cut the shiftek pipe a bit too short. Then they were blaming the vendor. That's when I whipped out the instructions, once more, and said "it said you're supposed to do this. See the rattle went away but you decided to cut it more than it needed to be..."

Anyhow they fixed it using some of OEM SS pipe that was cut off. They didn't use the clamps and welded everything on the rear so that was good as I didn't want the clamps to loosen up. Just hope the welds hold up. They looked pretty good to me.

Long story short, the neck off sounds great. I actually don't need to lower the windows down anymore as the cabin sounds great with the exhaust on sport mode. Windows down is even a greater experience but definitely the best exhaust system ever and a reminder of why I bought the GT350.

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
So I took it off and at 0ft with an iPhone the highest DB was measured at 127 db. I know motortrend was roughly 10ft away when they got the pass at 114 db so may be close. Either way, it sounds pretty bad ass with the neck off and I'm not disappointed. LOL my installers didn't listen to me and ego'd me with the lines "we do this all the time, we don't need instructions..."

Well... they cut the shiftek pipe a bit too short. Then they were blaming the vendor. That's when I whipped out the instructions, once more, and said "it said you're supposed to do this. See the rattle went away but you decided to cut it more than it needed to be..."

Anyhow they fixed it using some of OEM SS pipe that was cut off. They didn't use the clamps and welded everything on the rear so that was good as I didn't want the clamps to loosen up. Just hope the welds hold up. They looked pretty good to me.

Long story short, the neck off sounds great. I actually don't need to lower the windows down anymore as the cabin sounds great with the exhaust on sport mode. Windows down is even a greater experience but definitely the best exhaust system ever and a reminder of why I bought the GT350.
I have my neck down portion in tacked and I too love the sound like that , however you are making me think if cutting it would of been even better.
Anyways can you let me know what app you used to measure the decibels. That way I can do mine and give the original poster an idea of what mine reads with the neck portion still on.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I used Decibel X (free version) on the iPhone app. However, any app called Decibel will probably do the job. I had the iPhone with the screen facing up on the ground next to the exhaust. A little behind the exhaust. Yeah, it would be curious to hear of your results. Just really happy I finally pulled the trigger on the delete.

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
I used Decibel X (free version) on the iPhone app. However, any app called Decibel will probably do the job. I had the iPhone with the screen facing up on the ground next to the exhaust. A little behind the exhaust. Yeah, it would be curious to hear of your results. Just really happy I finally pulled the trigger on the delete.
Cool man - thanks. Yea going to do it soon and post back.
I too I'm happy as hell I finally did the delete. I was seriously on the fence and back and forth for months because I liked the stock sport mode so much. Love the shifteck X though, was a great mod for sure. Just wondering if I should go back and get the neck down cut off.
With the neck down in the tone is great , really just made the stock resonator sound more intense but its pretty much the same exact sound only louder. Is yours annoyingly raspy without the neck cause I would not want that.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Honestly, it's tough to say. I'm pleased with the results... worst case scenario you do it and then decide you want the neck down back on and they reweld it. just make sure when you get it done you keep everything they remove.

Sponsored

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, it's tough to say. I'm pleased with the results... worst case scenario you do it and then decide you want the neck down back on and they reweld it. just make sure when you get it done you keep everything they remove.
True true - not a bad idea.

On another note I will post my decibels soon, just downloaded an app. Just can't do it now. Maybe tomorrow if I have time.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Neck down section removed. 4 clamps holding everything together. I too can swap to my factory resonator x-pipe in about 10 minutes.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Some statistics for everyone.
Shiftek with the neck removed at 0 ft away the db reading max was 127 db.

WIndows up the wife says we can't have a conversation unless were in 6th gear or in quiet mode. hahah

Future issues: the track violations... but I think they measure at 40 ft away?
Sponsored