700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys just found this thread and don't mean to hijack the OPs post, but I was looking for some assistance. My car is 3 and a half years old with 24,900 miles on it. I usually drive the car once a week. Before this morning last time I drove it was about 5 days ago. Came out this morning to the car being completely dead. I jumped it with one of my other cars and as soon as I put the jumper cables on it, the DRLs came on and the panic alarm went off. Car turned off but struggled for about a second before it did. Went and had it tested and they said it is at 50%. They said they could charge it, but I opted to drive it for about a half hour to see if the alternator would charge it. I've had it turned off for a few hours to see what it will do, but my voltage was about 14.3 once I got it running and 13.7 during the entirety of my drive. Normally it's in the 13's when I drive. Should I let them charge the battery or just replace it? Can't figure out why it died as everything was turned off. Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GT Pony

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thoughts?
If it was mine, I'd just replace the battery. I bought he AC Delco (Professional Series) battery, part number 96RPS, and it's working very well. I researched a lot of batteries and glad I went with the AC Delco. Even has a built in handle in the top which makes it much easier to install and remove from the battery box.

I don't really trust the battery testers. My OEM battery was definitely flaky and the 'load test' said it was fine. But one thing the battery tester at the local auto parts store doesn't do is test for internal resistance, which is what I think was the problem with my OEM battery.

stang9779

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
AC Delco is a GM product. You know GM is Chevy?

OP
OP
GT Pony

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AC Delco is a GM product. You know GM is Chevy?
Of course, I had a Z06 for 13 years. AC Delco batteries are better than Motorcraft. The OEM batteries are junk in the S550s.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GT Pony

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
where did you buy this AC Delco battery? Thanks.
Local Chevy dealership. The built in folding handle on the AC Delco is great for installing or removing the battery. Perfect fit and mounts just like the stock battery. I gave the model and battery number in Post #17 above.

hemanmech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hemanth
Vehicle(s)
15 Beest Eco/Prem./PP
Hey guys, any idea on the Champion brand battery for 2015 eco boost. It’s sold in pep boys and has a 25% off going on now. I am trying to find reviews online but in vain.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I'd watch this and make up your mind. Honestly the Walmart's Everstart Maxx and Autozone's Duralast Gold would be my choice, but the others in the vid aren't too bad either.

If you want to save some weight, you can look into lithium battery, but be prepared to spend a few hundred.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Spend a few more bucks and get an AGM. Bought mine at Advanced Auto, and it's the stock 96R size.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
advance auto has a 20% off coupon code of online orders for diehard batteries.. you can order online and pickup in store. use code DH20

not sure how long it will last, but there are usually 20%-25% off codes every weekend or so

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Walmart wins, a victory for us consumers. The cheapest battery outperforms to most expensive models..Does Johnson Controls have a working monopoly on the battery industry??

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I bought an AGM identical to OEM at Advanced Auto. Not many 96R AGM available, and that was the cheapest by far.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Looking for a good quality battery that will last longer than the OEM. Looks like the battery group size is a 96R, and has 590 CCA.

I've had good luck with Interstate and AC Delco (Professional series) batteries in the past.

I've read a lot of guys here have had battery problem, so did you go with something other than a Motorcraft battery ... if so what?
Costco Interstate Battery is my go to
Sponsored