Tie rod removal tips

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I'm currently in the middle of installing Steeda's bumpsteer kit, but I'm having trouble getting the tie rod to break free. I've tried hammering the crap out of it and basically soaked it in PB blaster, but still nothing. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
If you can't get it free with a brass hammer, the blue wrench & pickle fork should do it.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Got a 2lb hammer and hit the shit out of it from the top and it came out.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I slipped a socket over the top nut and banged on the socket (to prevent damage to the nut), and also gave it some love taps from the side with a 2lb sledge.

My mechanic was not impressed with my 'technique', but it popped free pretty quickly.

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Personally, I never use heat on suspension parts because I worry about changing metal properties with heat on critical components. I never use heat on aluminum because strength drops off dramatically at fairly low temps sub 500F.

I always use the right tools on suspension. I must have 30 hammers for all sorts of jobs but rarely is beating suspension parts with a hammer the smart ploy regardless of how many YouTube videos show pros doing it. I also never use a pickle fork if I have alternatives.

What you need to do the removal job right with no damage and no use of force are tie rod and ball joint removers designed for this purpose. Even this cheap set from Harbor Freight or available all over the web will last forever. Many local autoparts stores will rent them for FREE!
Screenshot_2020-10-08 5pc Ball Joint Separator Tie Rod End Remover Pitman Arm Puller, Blue C.png

40038_2015_7_Fig9_HTML.png

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I'm currently in the middle of installing Steeda's bumpsteer kit, but I'm having trouble getting the tie rod to break free. I've tried hammering the crap out of it and basically soaked it in PB blaster, but still nothing. Any suggestions?
Try using some KROIL, it's a-lot better than PB blaster. Just don't spill it on your driveway or it will forever stain it.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I actually went and bought the unicorn Ford tool to remove the tension link ball joint - the studs in these are too long for any conventional tool to fit. There is couple of threads here about it...
(bought it since I have some more work to do, not only on my car).

Also post above - Kroil is the shit. Company I work for that happens to be making aircraft engines, specifies is for use in all of the service manuals. This thing works.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
For anyone that loves kroll but has none on had - acetone and transmission fluid mixed will substitute.

As good or better.
That's what I have used for decades

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can pop tie rod ends free with one simple trick I learned years ago. Hit the top side and the bottom stud (with nut at the base) at the exact same time with different hammers. Never fails.
Sponsored