Throttle body clicking

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
I've searched everywhere and it seems a couple others have had this issue, but never really update on a fix. Ive posted about this before, but noticed something new. My car has a rhythmic surge at idle, you can hear it change in the exhaust note. Just yesterday I noticed a loud clicking noise in the engine, which initiates the surge. The sounds is coming from the throttle body itself. At first I thought it was the purge valve, but I peeled the intake coupler back just enough to see inside and visually saw the valve in the tb move with the tick.

My question is, is this tick normal? I can order a new tb for $180, and leaning toward it unless somebody can confirm theirs does this as well, or that its normal operation. It does it every 8-10 seconds. The exhaust note changes, and the vacuum gauge slightly moves. AFR is anywhere from 9.2-10.2 and goes up and down in rhythm as well. (e85, and yes I tested it). I put it back to factory with the factory airbox and 93 fuel and it is still present. Already cleaned the MAF and changed the plugs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
It's not normal and requires replacement.
Just ordered the replacement, crossing my fingers hoping that this helps.

Thanks

Sponsored

Nconsalo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My car does both as well, you can hear a slight change in exhaust note but I just want that clicking gone

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
who is your tuner and do you have an 18 manifold installed?

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
who is your tuner and do you have an 18 manifold installed?
Stock manifold. Unleashed tuning. I put the stock air box back on and flashed to stock tune and it still had the up and down exhaust note change. The afr moves when it does this. The clicking in the throttle body must have been coincidence because i replaced it and it stopped clicking but still hasn’t fixed the idle.

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
My car does both as well, you can hear a slight change in exhaust note but I just want that clicking gone
When I took the old one off I noticed a slight rattle inside the actuator itself. New one did not rattle.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Stock manifold. Unleashed tuning. I put the stock air box back on and flashed to stock tune and it still had the up and down exhaust note change. The afr moves when it does this. The clicking in the throttle body must have been coincidence because i replaced it and it stopped clicking but still hasn’t fixed the idle.
Have you tested it with the ac on and off ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
Have you tested it with the ac on and off ?
Sure have. It does seem like an accessory drawing power. Replaced the battery. Disconnected the smart charge system. Nothing has worked yet. I’m running out of ideas.

I tested the alternator, which read bad with the smart charge connected, and read good without the smart charge connected. Tested multiple times both ways to make sure

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
did you replace it with a stock replacement or did you upgrade?
Stock. I ordered the GT350 manifold from American muscle and while it was on the way both Bama and Unleashed tuning said it doesn't work well with the car and has hesitation issues so I ordered the Ford oem. (I use unleashed, I just wanted bama to run the ghost cam tune for fun).

Do you run E85? It seems to be much worse on e85 and im wondering if the injectors should in fact be upgraded. I know a lot of people say on the 17s as long as you don't change the intake manifold they are fine, but it just makes me wonder if they aren't able to keep up with consumption on e85.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
When I took the old one off I noticed a slight rattle inside the actuator itself. New one did not rattle.
This is great information. I had the same issue with my stock tb before going with a PP2 kit. Yesterday I was contemplating going back to stock and was looking at my old throttle body and noticed it rattles inside as well.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Sure have. It does seem like an accessory drawing power. Replaced the battery. Disconnected the smart charge system. Nothing has worked yet. I’m running out of ideas.

I tested the alternator, which read bad with the smart charge connected, and read good without the smart charge connected. Tested multiple times both ways to make sure
I've noticed the ticking in my TB for sometime, just haven't gotten around to replacing it. I do see the surging at idle on e85 im sure it happens on 93 but seems more prevalent on e85.. The afr and short term fuel trims pretty much go up for a brief moment then comes back down.

I have the 18 manifold and lu 47s on my car.

Just curious how many miles does your car have?
Sponsored

Last edited: