Sponsored

throttle body/throttle position sensor problem

socalheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I posted this on reddit as well, but thought I'd get more feedback in an actual forum.

I bought my 2016 Mustang GT Premium in Oct 2015. I installed a K&N Cold Air Intake (63-2590) in Nov 2015 and everything was awesome.

April 2017, I was pulling into work and my car just kinda lost all power (engine still running though), I wasn't able to give it any gas, it would just be idling. Took it to the Ford and they replaced the throttle body, no questions and he knew exactly what the problem was when I told him the symptoms.

Sep 2017 I was on my way home and then it happened again ... I was able to turn into the turning lane, power off/on my car and then get home that way. I took it to Ford, explained the exact symptoms, they said I needed a valve cover gasket replaced and the throttle body was fine (the valve cover gasket replacement was legitimate ... I could smell the oil burning) ... so they replaced the gasket. And said if I experience the power problems again, bring it back.

Feb 2018 I was on my way to work on the interstate, far left lane going with traffic and damnit, it happens again. My car just idles and I lose power. I manage to get onto the far right shoulder and power on/off the car and made it to work.

My car is at the shop now and explained the exact same symptoms as the first time. Ford pulled the error code P-2135 (throttle position sensor) and is now insisting that the cold air intake that I installed when I first got the car is the culprit. I called K&N and the gentleman I spoke to (Joel) was awesome! He is very adamant and convinced the wiring harness Ford is pointing their finger at is not the problem.

I guess my question is, has anyone had similar issues with their Mustang? I called Ford HQ last night and told them I no longer wanted this death trap and now I am waiting for a call from the Regional Customer Service Manager to talk over options or whatever he/she wants to talk to me about.
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I think all you need is a new throttle body?

Have you re-oiled your filter anytime recently? Oiled filters can cause all sorts of problems in the air intake system. Mostly in the MAF but if you over-oiled the filter, it can cause a tremendous amount of crud to be built up in the intake and manifold, valves, etc.

OP
OP

socalheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I think all you need is a new throttle body?

Have you re-oiled your filter anytime recently? Oiled filters can cause all sorts of problems in the air intake system. Mostly in the MAF but if you over-oiled the filter, it can cause a tremendous amount of crud to be built up in the intake and manifold, valves, etc.

thanks man ... no, haven’t touched the oil filter at all. only had ford do the maintenance.

thank you for the feedback.

FISH_L3G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT pp in Competition Orange, 86 Corvette, 2012 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2015 GT and have the same issues. It will be fine for weeks on end but randomly the accelerator pedal will quit working and the car will go into "limp mode" and only idle. Once i pull over to the shoulder and cycle the car on and off the issue seems to go away. I have pulled the trouble codes on the side of the road when it happens and consistently get two error codes.

Error codes:
1. Throttle body stuck open
2. Throttle body stuck closed

Sometimes this happens 5 or 6 times a day commuting to work (under 2500rpm), and the other times it will work flawlessly for months on end....My assumption is my throttle body has crapped out and needs replacement, but I hate to throw parts at the car without certainty.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What are the actual codes you are getting, can you post them up?

There is a Ford FSA notification on throttle bodies, but only applies to a small group of the 2018 GT’s and letters were sent it inward based on VIN number affected. Apparently the TB was misbuilt, something about it internally and the fix is a new replacement TB.

The earlier GT’s were affected by TB issues as well as IMRC issues - both problems cause such drivability concerns that you are experiencing. I can’t find a TSB for earlier Mustangs, but if you were to search “throttle body” as well as “IMRC” on this site, you’ll get a lot of hits in the GT 5.0 subforum.

Sponsored

FISH_L3G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What are the actual codes you are getting, can you post them up?

There is a Ford FSA notification on throttle bodies, but only applies to a small group of the 2018 GT’s and letters were sent it inward based on VIN number affected. Apparently the TB was misbuilt, something about it internally and the fix is a new replacement TB.

The earlier GT’s were affected by TB issues as well as IMRC issues - both problems cause such drivability concerns that you are experiencing. I can’t find a TSB for earlier Mustangs, but if you were to search “throttle body” as well as “IMRC” on this site, you’ll get a lot of hits in the GT 5.0 subforum.

thanks for the lead ill look into it.

Codes are p2112 & p0507 &

FISH_L3G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update - I installed a new Ford throttle body and it fixed my issue.

Ogs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
Update - I installed a new Ford throttle body and it fixed my issue.
So I have a code as well for that along with 5 other codes that has to do with the a/b voltage correlation and intake manifold runner control circuit. Do you remember having any of those codes as well? Maybe I might need to change the throttle body out as well. I have a 2015 GT running a 2018 GT manifold and 2018 throttle body
Sponsored