Sponsored

Thoughts on Ford fixing Coyote engine tick for 2019?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Engine tick has been around since the beginning of the Coyote. nothing is going to change, it's just inherent with the engine

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What is the tick? I hear a very slight clackety clack clack when the engine is cold, right after start up- is that the ticking noise? After that when warmed up, the engine is quiet as can be, no ticks.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What is the tick? I hear a very slight clackety clack clack when the engine is cold, right after start up- is that the ticking noise? After that when warmed up, the engine is quiet as can be, no ticks.
Yep, it's just a bit of ticking, somewhat inconsistent, but doesn't really sound metallicy

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Engine tick has been around since the beginning of the Coyote. nothing is going to change, it's just inherent with the engine
Thanks ... this site is being over run with Coyote “tick” threads everywhere... resulting in too many Chicken Littles getting paranoia and anxiety by reading into those threads...

Sure there have been some LEGIT catastrophic engine failures - and it’s facts that some of those failures were caused by dropped valves. There have also been excessive oil consumption or smoke related issues, but again it’s been confirmed by facts those concerns were related to bad valve seals.

With that said, there’s some members who posted very valuable tech info and findings with pics and possible helpful solution for “ticking” in the TSB/Issues forum - in this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-another-attempt-to-understand.108944/

Either read it from the beginning or start at page 4 where it gets into the possible solution that seems to have helped owners in some situations.

THAT thread should be made into a sticky, because it contains the best info to date.

————

What some people don’t realize is this:
If you’re complaining about the “tick” to your Dealership and Ford determines your engine falls within their parameters for a warranty repair and resolve your claim via an engine replacement - the replacement engine is NO DIFFERENT from the original! It’s going to be the same engine with absolutely NO revisions to it externally or internally!

There’s no proof (yet) that Ford has redesigned, fixed or is using superseded parts in any replacement Coyote 5.0 engine.

Last edited:

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my 2017 GT returned to Ford from me hearing the alleged "BBQ tick". Dealer subsequently determined to be a snapped rod. No loss of power or anything, just heard a weird tick. Options from Ford were to wait on a short block (on back order), Ford buy it back, or replacement Ford vehicle.
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks ... this site is being over run with Coyote “tick” threads everywhere... resulting in too many Chicken Littles getting paranoia and anxiety by reside those threads...
Just had my 2017 GT returned to Ford from me hearing the alleged "BBQ tick". Dealer subsequently determined to be a snapped rod. No loss of power or anything, just heard a weird tick. Options from Ford were to wait on a short block (on back order), Ford buy it back, or replacement Ford vehicle.
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
I love how people keep saying "There's nothing wrong", yet people still keep on experiencing different failures related to engine ticks.

BTW....bad seals DO NOT cause rods to snap. So I guess the "factual proof" just got disproved. :facepalm:

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Snapped rod- wow, that sounds horrible. If they will buy it back that would be my option rather than wait for a block on back order. I read about the failures in the forums for both Camaros and Mustangs. They are not on every car but a few have had catastrophic failure of the engine, transmission, rear end, etc. I experienced major problems with my Camaro so I sure hope my Mustang is a good one. It really is the luck of the draw on your particular car......

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I love how people keep saying "There's nothing wrong", yet people still keep on experiencing different failures related to engine ticks.

BTW....bad seals DO NOT cause rods to snap. So I guess the "factual proof" just got disproved. :facepalm:
Snapped rod- wow, that sounds horrible. If they will buy it back that would be my option rather than wait for a block on back order. I read about the failures in the forums for both Camaros and Mustangs. They are not on every car but a few have had catastrophic failure of the engine, transmission, rear end, etc. I experienced major problems with my Camaro so I sure hope my Mustang is a good one. It really is the luck of the draw on your particular car......
I just finished up the RAV process with Ford. I now have an 18 GT. The day I turned my 17 over to Ford and I had to retrieve something from the car, a crate with my name on it and all the parts required to fix it were sitting beside the car.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Did it just get disproved by one guy posting a picture of a broken rod on the interwebs??? Over dramatic much? What exactly is the percentage of failures in the coyote compared to other mass produced cars? That would be factual proof that there is a problem relative to the rest of the industry. :headbang: A single post on a forum. Doesn't exactly provide factual proof that theses engines are failing at a greater rate than any other manufacture on the planet. That also experience failures.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Did it just get disproved by one guy posting a picture of a broken rod on the interwebs??? Over dramatic much? What exactly is the percentage of failures in the coyote compared to other mass produced cars? That would be factual proof that there is a problem relative to the rest of the industry. :headbang:Not a post on a forum.
Allow me to clarify:

There have been multiple failures, with multiple causes, when it comes to the '18 GT's. Then you get a guy who says, "Factually these have been solved by bad valve seals". Who "factually" said that? Because I haven't seen it, and I HAVE seen a lot of issues that would not be caused by bad valve seals. A snapped rod being one of them.

Nobody but Ford knows the actual percentage of failures on the Coyote...and you KNOW they are NEVER going to release that figure. So you ask an impossible question on that one.

Do I know what the problem is? No. And I don't claim to. But I do know that bad valve seals do NOT cause snapped rods, piston wall scoring, etc. There is something more going on here. If you don't want to acknowledge that and want to see everyone with issues as "whiners" and stick your head in the sand and tell yourself "there's nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong" then be my guest.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If I ask an impossible question. Then maybe all the whining and crying about engine failures is just that. We can all sit here and say a new engine should NEVER fail. But that is just naive! without knowing if the Coyote is failing at a greater rate than other manufactures. How do you really know there is an issue???? I've found that unhappy people make the most noise. But the vast majority who don't have an issue with their cars. are far less likely to make terrifying post. That seam to rile people up. These cars come with full factory warranties. Take advantage of it if your one of the few that has any type of problem with your car.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If I ask an impossible question. Then maybe all the whining and crying about engine failures is just that. We can all sit here and say a new engine should NEVER fail. But that is just naive! without knowing if the Coyote is failing at a greater rate than other manufactures. How do you really know there is an issue???? I've found that unhappy people make the most noise. But the vast majority who don't have an issue with their cars. are far less likely to make terrifying post. That seam to rile people up. These cars come with full factory warranties. Take advantage of it if your one of the few that has any type of problem with your car.
With all due respect, and I mean that, ignoring issues that you "think" could be problems until you "know" it's a problem is a truly bad way to approach a situation. Fixing cars is a lot like curing diseases: if you bring the symptoms up earlier, there's a chance that you can get it cured quickly. If you choose to just say "I have a warranty, so whatever" and you drive with an issue until your block goes boom, you get to prove that it wasn't neglect.

I've seen first hand how these things play out and you can BET one of the first questions from Ford will be, "You mean you didn't hear any noises before this happened? Nothing erratic, out of the norm?" And as soon as you say, "I heard it but I chose to just drive it since it's warrantied" then you are SOL. Of course, you could lie and say "No, everything was running fine." I get that A LOT from my customers at my shop. But a competent mechanic can trace down the issue and tell whether or not it was letting you know there was a problem and you ignored it, or if it really wasn't indicating an issue.

When someone is complaining about an engine failure, I hardly consider it to be "whining and crying". Sure, engines can fail. Any manufacturer who says they've never had a failure is lying to you. But there is a pattern on the '18's. Too much evidence is pointing to it.

You also have to be careful when saying, "the unhappy people make the most noise" in the particular case of automotive forums. MOST people are not gear heads and aren't going to join a car forum, whether they have an issue or not. So what you get with the forum is a group of enthusiasts who know cars and who pay attention to things closer than your average person will. It's again much like medicine. Sure, you can ask Joe Random on the street if your slight cough is serious. But you should feel better about the answer you get from a doctor as they are "in the know" and have experience closely monitoring these things.

I'm on something like my 20th Mustang.....and I'm sure there are many people here who have owned multiple ones as well. I've come to know the car inside and out, as again I'm sure others have too. When something isn't right, it isn't right. Just because the car doesn't shoot a rod through the hood or have another easily identifiable mechanical failure does not mean there's no issues. Let's remember the LS7 motor with it's valve-dropping issues. There were, literally, NO symptoms until the valves dropped. And what did GM say immediately when that happened? "Prove you weren't tracking it", "It's a Z06. Prove it wasn't abused." You can not just stroll into a Ford dealer with your GT on a flat bed, tell them it blew up, and expect them to go "Oh, OK we are so sorry! Here, let us slap a new motor in no questions asked for you!" It doesn't work that way.

TL;DR: People are right to be paying attention to the early signs of a potential issue. It's not overblown or "whining" to ask about a noise or take the car in for inspection due to an odd sound. Literally, the whole reason automotive forums exist is for people to help each other. Not to be advertisement boards where people come to say, "OMG my car is perfect, there are no issues, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar."

Like I said, if you don't think there's an issue then don't worry about it. But for those of us who own these 2018 models and who have concerns, your posts telling us that it's "All hype" while we are going through Ford buybacks, engine replacements, etc. is not needed or helpful in any way.

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had my oil changed and two days later the tick appeared. I park in the garage so I immediately heard it and knew something was not right. Made an appointment with the dealer and had a video of the sound if it did not appear again. Dealer noticed the sound right away and I was turned away to bring it back the following week to drop it off. They said it was okay to drive since it was my daily. Could have made the car worse but not sure. I just wanted to post what I went through. Car will be fixed and reappear later on in someone else's driveway and may never have issues again.
Sponsored