Sponsored

Thoughts on best boost (50 state legal) for 2020 PP2 with 3.73 axlwe ratio?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
thats all fine and dandy, just telling him to be carefulwhat To believe. People love to just parrot what they’ve heard or read. For example I am guessing youdont Have a Whipple on Whipples tune or have ever tried to pass an emissions test with that setup. Have you? Can you provide a picture of your emissions monitors readines on your boosted S550?
Whipple is based in California and they provide an EO sticker because the setup is CARB compliant. Not sure why that’s such a foreign concept to you, and yes, all of the monitors are green.

606A5718-5E29-4C95-B3A1-F2E4A9843848.jpeg
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
thats all fine and dandy, just telling him to be carefulwhat To believe. People love to just parrot what they’ve heard or read. For example I am guessing youdont Have a Whipple on Whipples tune or have ever tried to pass an emissions test with that setup. Have you? Can you provide a picture of your emissions monitors readines on your boosted S550?

oops I see you do have a carb Whipple setup. Have you tried passing emissions with it yet? What state are your monitors at right now, specifically O2 and HO2?

I don't have to do a smog inspection for another 7 years. I'm on the Whipple tune and that tune is California C.A.R.B compliant as well as the supercharger unit.

I don't give a poop of what my readiness monitors show at the present time, since I don't have cats at the moment. When the time comes to do an inspection, I'll just reinstall the cats and get it inspected. I don't have the slightest bit of concern of it not passing.

I don't know why you are so concerned. All of the CA C.A.R.B compliant systems have a CA EO number and having that has passed all of the requirements (jumping through hoops) to make them legal in CA. If it'll pass in CA, basically it'll pass anywhere in the US.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Loved my 2016 6R80 3.15 axle ratio with a whipple. Recently bought a 2020 PP2 (3.73 axle ratio) and am looking at boost options. Unfortunately, I am headed to CA soon so I need a 50 state legal kit and will be octane limited. I haven't driven a boosted manual car. My only planned mods are PS4 tires and the blower kit. Not looking for huge HP numbers. Not looking for a straight line beast, went with the PP2 and magnaride for the fun of driving it.

Questions:
1- Will traction with a PD blower be even harder to get with a manual 3.73 versus my 6R80 3.15? Will it be easier or harder to manage the traction with a manual?
2- Will a centri provide any low end power? Never driven one, just heard the power comes on later than a PD. Under 3,500 rpm's, will it be stock power level? How good of a match is a centri with a 3.73 manual? The gearing feels like it lacks torque in 1st as is. I was expecting it to feel stronger off the line...
3- I'll probably keep the canned tune from the blower company. Or, will need a tune I can easily switch back and forth when I need to get it smogged. Loved whipple's simplicity of flashing a tune.
4- 91 octane and no e85 close by. Is a centri or PD better for us guys with an octane handicap?

Anything else I should consider? Thanks in advacne for any feedback!
With your gear ratios 3.73 is fine. Also my opinion would be get the gen 5 stage 2 Whipple kit and if you wanna stick to straight 91 you can drop down to the 4in blower pulley for less boost. I put some Boostane in every fill up of 91 just to be safe.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you are looking for specific advice on passing smog test with a FI system I suggest verifying anybody giving advice has actually passed an emissions test with the system they are suggesting. If they have an Ngauge they can easily provide a picture of their IM monitors readiness on the gauge, don’t think you will find many passing O2 & HO2 (which are required to pass the test).
I live in California and have no problem with smog test. also I use 91 and make almost 900whp. Water/meth works.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
900 wheel on CA “91” that’s a ticking time bomb 😵. My tuner put me at like 600 wheel spraying meth with 91. E85 now and still spraying meth but I’m not tuned for both meth and E85.

Sponsored

5.0_sittinlow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I live in California and have no problem with smog test. also I use 91 and make almost 900whp. Water/meth works.
DAMN! What do you have on it to get that hp and be carb legal? I get the gen 5 whipple with the turn does a majority of that but pushing 900?! Good for you. I'll be going the carb legal whipple route as well but theres a bunch of things on backorder 🤦‍♂️

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1 Hellion TT
DAMN! What do you have on it to get that hp and be carb legal? I get the gen 5 whipple with the turn does a majority of that but pushing 900?! Good for you. I'll be going the carb legal whipple route as well but theres a bunch of things on backorder 🤦‍♂️
That guy will probably not be answering you. See yesterday's drama thread.

He said water meth injection; that is adding a second fuel source and raising up the octane. 91 octane with water/meth injection might be as high as 110 octane. The octane only matters when its in boost and that is when the water/meth is injected.

Last edited:

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
It's a 2020.
i ha ve a 18 with mt82 and a paxton with a 3.6 pulley... Im adding gears to it..lets put it that way lol. car below 4k rpm in 3rd is a dog... heck 3rd gear is a dog with the D4 tranny.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just to throw it out there, VMP just got a CARB cert on their LOKI kit as well.

Sponsored

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
50 state legal… can’t beat the whipple.

as soon as you tune it all that goes out the window.

you will most likely tune it, ask me how I know

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
on a 3.73 gear, a procharger or vortech would get my vote, and a TVS or Whipple on 3.73s would be a lot to handle on the street or the track. Most people who run a TVS or Whipple aim for a lower gear ratio and people running centri blowers want to get them up in the rev range as quickly as possible because that's where the power is at. You can use a PD-style blower with those gears but traction may be more difficult to find depending on the setup.

And if looking for a CARB 50 state legal kit both vortech and procharger have one. If you need help picking out a kit, please let us know!
Sponsored