Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I'll tell you right now, the paddle flipping isn't fun if you are trying to do it fully manual. There's a delay in the shift that forces you to hit the paddle way earlier than you think is right. It's not like a DCT, where it just gives you a gear immediately. I use them to "correct" the transmission. If it hangs out too high/low, or if I want to drop gears quick I'll hit the paddles. Unless they REALLY revised the shift logic, it is better to let the computer do its thing. Kinda like how I don't have to pump the brakes anymore to prevent lock. I still have control over braking force, but the computer can regulate each wheel individually.
That's exactly what I want to try to determine if I am ready for that kind of driving experience. Thank you for sharing your observations. I am going to be really curious now about how the Mach 1 might be different.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Hopefully they won't bring this one to the UK, or at least give us the option of the performance/handling pack version - it looks so much better.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hopefully they won't bring this one to the UK, or at least give us the option of the performance/handling pack version - it looks so much better.
Knowing Ford........we'll only get the non-Handling Pack. But a set of wider wheels, a front lip and a tail spoiler and you have the handling pack (but I agree, the HP just finishes off the looks perfectly)

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I don't care about the splitter and rear spoiler, but the wheels are much better on the Handling package. The base wheels look way too small and too retro for the rest of the car. I don't why it the wheels have a polished outline when the car has no other chrome accents at all

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Having watched the videos and read the releases closely, my understanding of the Appearance Pack availability is this: It's available on all Mach 1's and all colors. On Fighter Jet Gray cars it is mandatory.....and only Fighter Jet Gray cars have the orange accents (including calipers). On colors other than Fighter Jet Gray, the stripe accents are red or white. On non-Fighter Jet Gray Appearance Pack cars the calipers are red. On non-Appearance Pack cars the calipers are black.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Having watched the videos and read the releases closely, my understanding of the Appearance Pack availability is this: It's available on all Mach 1's and all colors. On Fighter Jet Gray cars it is mandatory.....and only Fighter Jet Gray cars have the orange accents (including calipers). On colors other than Fighter Jet Gray, the stripe accents are red or white. On non-Fighter Jet Gray Appearance Pack cars the calipers are red. On non-Appearance Pack cars the calipers are black.
My guess AP will likely show as a $475 option just like current 'stripe' option, and FJ will be a $395-495 option just Rapid Red or Twister Orange colors are today. So a FJ car would be a $1000 bump over non-AP.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Appearance Package could be had with all colours with black or white stripes however only with FJG colour the stripes could be Orange. Not sure if FJG colour will be available outside of Appearance Package though.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
This is cut & paste directly from the Press Release (bold and color are my edits).

The Handling Package – exclusively available with the Tremec™ 3160 6-speed manual transmission – also includes a larger unique higher downforce front splitter, new front wheel lip moldings, and a low-gloss Magnetic swing spoiler with a Gurney flap and rear tire spats from Shelby GT500. Satin Black side and hood stripes are included with reflective accent stripes in any of three colors: Red, White and Orange (Appearance Package only). Exterior color options include the Mach 1 exclusive Fighter Jet Gray (Appearance Package only), as well as Iconic Silver, Shadow Black, Oxford White, Velocity Blue, Twister Orange, Race Red and Grabber Yellow.

Couldn't be more confusing, but the way I interpret is
  • Depending on car color, you will get white or red accent stripes. If you order the Appearance Package, the accent stripes will be orange
  • You can choose from a variety of colors. If you order the Appearance Package the car will be FJG

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Couldn't be more confusing, but the way I interpret is
  • Depending on car color, you will get white or red accent stripes. If you order the Appearance Package, the accent stripes will be orange
  • You can choose from a variety of colors. If you order the Appearance Package the car will be FJG
Yep, that's exactly how I understand it. Certainly Ford's press release was very confusingly written!

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can choose from a variety of colors. If you order the Appearance Package the car will be FJG
actually I interpret it as If you choose FJG the appearance package is auto-selected for you. Think of it like GM does things: if you want bright colored calipers it's a $500 upcharge. So if you order a Blue or Silver car you CAN add the AP to get orange highlights and orange calipers. If you choose FJG you are FORCED to take the AP.
Like other combos on the current GT, the orange doesn't work on Red/Yellow/Orange cars so AP will probably be denied on those. Or perhaps they'll allow the AP were it concerns the calipers, but will deny you the orange pin stripes.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
actually I interpret it as If you choose FJG the appearance package is auto-selected for you. Think of it like GM does things: if you want bright colored calipers it's a $500 upcharge. So if you order a Blue or Silver car you CAN add the AP to get orange highlights and orange calipers. If you choose FJG you are FORCED to take the AP.
Like other combos on the current GT, the orange doesn't work on Red/Yellow/Orange cars so AP will probably be denied on those.
I'm pretty sure FJG is the Appearance Package.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure FJG is the Appearance Package.
could be, but why deny yourself the opportunity to skin the consumer of more of his money? Maybe the AP is $1000 package (upcharge for FJG and orange bits) or if it's more like $500 you can triple or more the 'take' by letting people with a hankering for the other colors.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, that's how I read it (after re-RE-reading it ...), FJG automatically comes with the appearance package, and you can't order the AP on any other color, i.e., FJG == AP

I get what @shogun32 is saying about sales opportunity, but it seems like recently Ford has been about color specific options / model variants.
Sponsored