Thinkware Dashcam

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I have narrowed my front/rear dashcam search to: Thinkware Q800 Pro and the BlackVue DR750S-2CH. I've seen the Thinkware mentioned here in the forums, but reading the buyer reviews, the common complaint is that it runs the car battery down past the user setting when in "Parking" mode, and the the 2K video is choppy/noisy and reading license plates did not provide a clear image as advertised.

For those that have either the Q800 Pro or the DR705S, what are your reviews?

Thank you
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have a Thinkware Q800. My car is on battery tender when it's in the garage. Since I have experience with it draining the battery I will recommend you unplug it when it's in the garage. Just make it a habit that you plug it in when you start the car. You can leave it running at the office and etc but I suggest you unplug it during the time it's in the garage.

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I have a Thinkware Q800. My car is on battery tender when it's in the garage. Since I have experience with it draining the battery I will recommend you unplug it when it's in the garage. Just make it a habit that you plug it in when you start the car. You can leave it running at the office and etc but I suggest you unplug it during the time it's in the garage.
Thank you. I was thinking of buying an extra battery for the dash cam, since I want to use the parking mode to capture impacts, but since it takes 45min to recharge it the aux battery, that might not be the way to go. What is the Q800 video quality trying to view license plates on passing or coming from cross traffic? Is the video smooth or pixelated?

Thanks for replying.

20CanadianBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang BULLITT L1667
I have a Thinkware 800 in my Cadillac XT5 and the vehicle sometimes sits for weeks. I have never had a battery issue. When my 2020 GT arrives, I am taking it straight over for an 800 install.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
I have the f800 and i bought the external battery celllink neo, it recharges in 15 mins if you hard wire it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Last week I emailed Thinkware with some pre-sales questions. I have not heard anything from them. If this is how they treat a prospective customer, I'd hate to see what a customer would endure when requesting technical support.

HN401A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I've had the Blackvue 750-2CH and Power Magic Pro for a couple of months now and have no complaints! No battery issues, videos are crisp, app updates frequently and is easy to connect to your phone on demand.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Last week I emailed Thinkware with some pre-sales questions. I have not heard anything from them. If this is how they treat a prospective customer, I'd hate to see what a customer would endure when requesting technical support.
Contact a Thinkware vendor such as BlackBoxMyCar, I bought my Thinkware camera from them. I contacted their Support twice via email with questions, prompt replies both times.

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Contact a Thinkware vendor such as BlackBoxMyCar, I bought my Thinkware camera from them. I contacted their Support twice via email with questions, prompt replies both times.
My email was to BlackBoxMyCar, as was a follow-up email a couple of days ago. I get the automated reply, but nothing more.