Sponsored

Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
To be honest I enjoyed my brz just as much, if not more than my GT. It was so damn fun and got 30+ mpg no matter how hard you beat on it, and everything was cheap AF. I think everyone gets caught up with hp and the car clubs you always see people adding parts and get swept up in it.
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
To be honest I enjoyed my brz just as much, if not more than my GT. It was so damn fun and got 30+ mpg no matter how hard you beat on it, and everything was cheap AF. I think everyone gets caught up with hp and the car clubs you always see people adding parts and get swept up in it.
And you get way more for your money with the Ecoboost vs. the BRZ or Toyota 86. Hence why the Ecoboost 'stang far outsells it here :cheers:

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
I understand you. I have an 03 Evo and a 2015 GT. I have redlined gears and gone all out on the Evo, but I haven't even come close to driving that way on my Mustang, although my brother has.
As far as the saying " it's better to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow ", eh I don't know about that. I'd enjoy cruising in my Mustang than I would flooring it on a Subaru Crosstrek. Not to mention I actually enjoy cruising in the Mustang, top down, than going all out in the Evo, and the Evo isn't slow, maybe slow compared to the Mustang.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
And you get way more for your money with the Ecoboost vs. the BRZ or Toyota 86. Hence why the Ecoboost 'stang far outsells it here :cheers:
Not really. Without modding even the PP suspension the mustang feels like a vague, wet, limp noodle compared to an 86. The 86 is a better sports car in almost every way that matters. The only thing an EB mustang has over an 86 is it's a better DD and has more power.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
You can order it with the base interior and the performance package for under $30 grand...that's exactly what I did.
It's a good deal but if I sold the GT, I would want something much smaller and lighter.
Plus I paid barely over 31K for my 15 GT PP w/Recaros, Whipple, exhaust, suspension..etc (<6k mi). I wouldn't ditch it to get a new EB for the same coin.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I do understand. When I had my '14 GT500 my DD was a 5MT Focus SE, and I think I had more fun with the Focus than I did the 500. With the 500 if I had any fun at all I was immediately in triple digits, but I could flog the Focus like an F1 driver and not worry about the speed.

I'm actually glad that the GT350 is slower than the GT500 was. It's a better DD and I enjoy it more on the street.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Maybe just hash it over for the summer. I think by fall you'll figure it out.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Don't get me wrong. I love my boosted GT. I like the torque and rumble of the V8. And the power of course.
The problem really is I'm sick of driving around half throttle most of the time. If I wring this car out a bit, I quickly end up 30+ over the speed limit. Is it fun? Sure. But it's also pretty reckless. And I hate always looking for cops (yes, I use Waze). I know some think just cruising around in a V8 Mustang is great in itself. I'm really not one of them.

And yes, I know I'll be called nuts as to what I'm about to say. But I actually miss just flogging my '14 Fiesta SE manual all over the place and still going somewhat sane speeds. Something I simply cannot do in the Mustang 90% of the time. I feel like I got to use ALL of that car and in the Mustang I feel like I get to use 30%.

I'm considering going back to a true minimalist car that I can wring out on the streets and not care much if it gets dinged here and there...etc. I'm considering going back to a Fiesta SE. I drove the Fiesta ST. It's got much better power/handling but the ride quality/tire noise IMO was pretty horrible. And I'm thinking of going even cheaper.

I haven't committed to doing this. But I am thinking about it. One reason I may not is that my g/f probably won't ride in my car. She thinks small cars are not safe and only likes riding in big ones (like her Charger or the Mustang. Albeit she doesn't like riding much in the Mustang either b/c it's loud and has a firm ride compared to what she's used to, lol.)
Was wondering if anyone else has had similar sentiments?
Guessing not, so flame away! lol
Due to where I live, this is why I purchased the ecoboost. Test drove a couple of GTs and returned to the eco. :eek:

You will look cool driving into your trailer park in a Fiesta... you should go for it. :thumbsup:

Not everyone needs a GT. :)

Bonus is you might be able to load more guns into the Fiesta... not sure though.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
It's a good deal but if I sold the GT, I would want something much smaller and lighter.
Plus I paid barely over 31K for my 15 GT PP w/Recaros, Whipple, exhaust, suspension..etc (<6k mi). I wouldn't ditch it to get a new EB for the same coin.
Same size. The Ecoboost is 200 lbs. lighter than the GT. If you've ever driven both, you know that the Ecoboost feels much more sprighty through corners because there's less weight up front...it feels like a much smaller car than what it is.

Pulpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black GT
I also say buy an ecoboost with pp1 for you and magneride and active exhaust for the girlfriend.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I kinda get it. I learned quickly that you can’t punch it 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If you punch all the way in 3rd you get a ticket. I got 78 in a 55 mph ticket the 1st month I had my GT but ...

It’s so much fun punching it in 1st and 2nd. I’d never put a blower in mine as a DD. Way to fast. My car is fast enough the way it is YMMV.

But NO I wouldn’t get a slower more anemic car. I love my Hot Rod to much.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
BEEN THERE! Recently, actually...

2015 GT, MT82 bit the dust @ 66,000 miles....commuter car, no burnouts, nothing, dead.

Decided to go with a MAGNUM XL, Mcleod RXT, 4.30 gears, tune, etc.

Initially, this was going to be a new MT82...it snowballed into what it became. Every single thing that could go wrong went wrong, from shipping not happening, wrong parts arriving, car not being right over and over and over...all total turned into an $8,000+ dollar deal...not good. I wasn't happy, wife wasn't happy, and it was about to be 10 grand real quick to HOPEFULLY have things sorted....with the way it all had gone so far, I had NO faith in anything, and no desire to go any farther.

Additionally, all of this made the car pretty unfriendly in heavy traffic/as a DD, and it really needed either a SC/TURBO or something like 4.56+ gears....Even with 4.09, it was difficult to get it going from a stop...

The car absolutely SCREAMED once it was going...

My wife hated it, scared her, was upsetting, she didn't like the fact that it was a money pit...

So, instead of continuing to stress-test my marriage (and my own sanity, I wasn't happy with it either)

So after all of that bullshit, I traded the car in, three weeks ago, for a 2018 Ford Escape SEL with a 1.5 Ecoboost....to be fair I was compensated on trade for my recent spending....mostly.

I love the escape, my wife loves it, it's just great!!!! Keep in mind, I'm about as burned out as possible after two V6 Mustangs, Two GT Mustangs, THREE 4.6 Thunderbirds, and one heavily modded Coyote F150...I've had enough.

Aside the easy to live with factor of the escape, it's a really great vehicle...it's NOT fast at all...it's comfortable, surprisingly fun in it's way, nice to drive, easy on gas, just plain easy to live with...

that said, qualifies for "MEH CAR MONDAY"

But a nice break from the "car guy" world...
Got my wife a 18' Escape 1.5 Eco a month ago.

Nice day to day...

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow! I drive the crap out of my car and love the predictability of it. Not saying I wouldn't ever go FI but as long as I'm driving it 7k+ miles a year I'm staying NA. I think my set up is absolutely perfect right now. I can go to the strip and run 11's , enjoy some spiriting driving or cruise all the way to the finger lakes with the wife and no complaints. Still loving my stang 3+ years in but I still wish ford would of made the new IRS setup geared more to performance than how it came from factory. I'm sure the ford boys will jump all over me but the IRS set up from factory is lame. After taking care of that with some aftermarket parts I think the car is perfect! Check out my build thread for more info. Still loving my 5.slow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
The one thing I do enjoy about the Whipple is the low end grunt. It has noticeably more than NA.

my03mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru BRZ, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Have you thought about getting a new Fiesta ST and upgrading to better riding shocks? I love mine, I get why you would want to switch. The car is fun enough that I decided to get it over compromising on a GT that wasn't optioned exactly the way I wanted. That and it was significantly cheaper.

If there's anything I miss from my Mach 1, it was the sound. You can't replicate that noise in a Fiesta unfortunately!
Sponsored