Sponsored

Things you can do without any risk something might go wrong.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
With the internet making it so easy to hear about any and all things that go wrong, I was thinking is this really news when a percentage of something built by us has a failure. And it looks like we didn't learn from the past, are we really surprised about this? How about waiting to see if the new engine problems are again a relative small percentage, just like other brands have had to deal with.
The percentages are better than lots of other stuff we sign up for.
I have 2019 and if the engine goes I promise to put on my big boy pants and have it replaced.
Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Agree Frank. It's okay to vent, shake your fist at the stars for getting shafted, and post high complaints on the interweb...

... but then move on as best you can. And big credit to the owners here who have done just that. A great community here.

Ford seems to take care of the engine replacements - as they should. For the 1% of 1% who gets shafted (bad engine, and then bad treatment by Ford), we definitely want it to be visible and public. But we also have to keep in mind that we probably will never see the full picture as Forums are notoriously 1-sided (no Factory rep) and polarized. My 2 cents. YMMV

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
bUt vOoDoo eNgiNe bAd. fOrd faUlt. bAd.

Internet is a whine fest for people that think they're owed something. The extremely low failure rate is to be expected from anything mass produced. If someone wants an even better statistical chance of mechanical security, buy something thats slowly hand-built, like a Ferrari. its that simple; nothing is perfect.

Deleted member 37397

They built this car for 6 years now. We keep buying them. Facebook groups are by far worse

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Crap happens. Go on the Corvette websites and look at the auto tranny failures. Lots of moving parts and different vendors. Sometimes things go Boom. It breaks, get it fixed. Plan on keeping it, get an extended warranty.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
In the spirit of the title of the thread...I seriously can't think of one thing I could do without risking that something might go wrong! But, that was bred into me from my Navy days when we planned ops and looked at all the risks that might be associated with them.

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
So... I have owned two other high performance cars known for engine problems:

- 2002 M3
- 2015 Porsche GT3

So I have some experience on the subject. First, I had my eyes wide open when I bought my R. Both my M3 and my GT3 never had a problem so this is the first time I have ever had an engine failure happen to me. So far Ford has been treating me well, but it is still to be finally resolved.

As far as the internet causing a distortion to reality, I think while it may be true, in both my previous cars the Internet forums actually resulted in positive outcomes for all owners. For those not familiar here's how it played out:

M3- BMW actually denied customer claims for warranty failures of the first few failures. Much screaming on the internet. As more failures occurred, a user on M3 Post began a database of the failures. This collection of information eventually pushed BMW to stop denying claims, but more importantly own up to the problems with a recall on the rod bearings (twice). And, again due to the publicity of the failures, BMW eventually gave every owner an extended 6 yr (IIRC) 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

GT3- A little different since the failures led to a stop production of 2014 and 2015 models. But failures after that with owners of the new and improved motors were troubling. So in 2018 a group of owners organized by Rennlist forums met with Porsche in Atlanta. Porsche took this seriously and sent the head of Engineering to that meeting. Much explaining of the fix to the new motors, but also a concession in the form of an extended powertrain warranty for all owners, 7 year 100,000 miles.

So you see that while it is disconcerting to see these failures happen here in this forum, the visibility it gives can result in good things. To those that think Ford is not reading these forums or not impacted by them, I think you are incorrect. My two examples above show that the manufacturers are clearly clued into these enthusiast sites.

I think it would be could to start a thread on the engine failures and build a database. I'm new here so maybe one already exists I don't know. Please chime in if such a thread exists and I will help move it forward. Otherwise, I think we should build such a thread and make it a sticky to track all the failures.

Thoughts?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
It's okay to vent, shake your fist at the stars for getting shafted, and post high complaints on the interweb...
I remember growing up in Kansas City Missouri that the best in FM rock radio was KY102 in the 70’s and listening to DJ Max Floyd (RIP) and his rock-n-roll army. He would have callers phone in throughout his show and occasionally he would get an irate caller fuming about something. Eventually Max would respond with a catchy saying to rock-n-roll on because life is too short and there’s not enough time to enjoy all the music. For myself, being a car enthusiast is not my only hobby, and the times that I have had various products DOA or KIA, I could spend a lifetime shaking my fist at the stars. I just reflect on Max as well as other people who have influenced my life experiences. At the end of the day, it is all going to turn to rust or dust, but the only thing that remains permanent (good health willing) is my memories and experiences. I enjoy these forums as it is another outlet to soak up some more memories and experiences. So I will take to heart Max when he said to rock-n-roll on!!!

All the best!!!

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
I bought my 16 from a buddy and he popped the engine at Laguna Seca. Ford replaced it immediately. Well within two months. When I picked the car up I was in the mind set, well I know I have a new engine that hasn’t been abused yet. Since I’ve owned it, I’ve had zero oil consumption, about 4-6K track miles and no issues whatsoever. Shit happens and move on. It’s unfortunate since we do pay a decent amount for our cars but it happens to all makes and models.

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
So... I have owned two other high performance cars known for engine problems:

- 2002 M3
- 2015 Porsche GT3

So I have some experience on the subject. First, I had my eyes wide open when I bought my R. Both my M3 and my GT3 never had a problem so this is the first time I have ever had an engine failure happen to me. So far Ford has been treating me well, but it is still to be finally resolved.

As far as the internet causing a distortion to reality, I think while it may be true, in both my previous cars the Internet forums actually resulted in positive outcomes for all owners. For those not familiar here's how it played out:

M3- BMW actually denied customer claims for warranty failures of the first few failures. Much screaming on the internet. As more failures occurred, a user on M3 Post began a database of the failures. This collection of information eventually pushed BMW to stop denying claims, but more importantly own up to the problems with a recall on the rod bearings (twice). And, again due to the publicity of the failures, BMW eventually gave every owner an extended 6 yr (IIRC) 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

GT3- A little different since the failures led to a stop production of 2014 and 2015 models. But failures after that with owners of the new and improved motors were troubling. So in 2018 a group of owners organized by Rennlist forums met with Porsche in Atlanta. Porsche took this seriously and sent the head of Engineering to that meeting. Much explaining of the fix to the new motors, but also a concession in the form of an extended powertrain warranty for all owners, 7 year 100,000 miles.

So you see that while it is disconcerting to see these failures happen here in this forum, the visibility it gives can result in good things. To those that think Ford is not reading these forums or not impacted by them, I think you are incorrect. My two examples above show that the manufacturers are clearly clued into these enthusiast sites.

I think it would be could to start a thread on the engine failures and build a database. I'm new here so maybe one already exists I don't know. Please chime in if such a thread exists and I will help move it forward. Otherwise, I think we should build such a thread and make it a sticky to track all the failures.

Thoughts?
The way you describe using the web to inform others and call out manufactures that aren't honoring the warranty can only be agreed with.
Thanks.
Sponsored