Sponsored

The Succesor to MMFF

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
MM&FF was a staple of my childhood. Mixed in with all the baseball and football mags was MM&FF. I couldn’t wait for the new edition to come out.

They used to sponsor the MM&FF weekends too. My friends and I would hit them up regularly. Quality racing, vendors all over and a swap meet.
Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I subscribed to Hot Rod back when I was in Jr HS and HS - late 70s to early 80s. Plus my mom worked in the Jr HS Library so I got all of the old car mags they were throwing out. What I remember about Hot Rod was that their tech articles were cyclical. Every year or two there was an intake manifold swap how to and a cam swap how to, etc. Everything was pretty much advertiser driven even though I didn't notice it at the time. MM&FF was something I looked at from time to time and it was a pretty good resource. Especially since they focused on what I like...Fords.

The best magazine for tech was Circle Track. Smokey Yunick wrote the tech Q&A section and articles about car builds, wet sump pans, cages, welding, etc transferred readily to to my road racing and autox interests.

All that stuff is gone now...

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
ah the good old days before the internet and 250rwhp 2V builds were a thing.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
ah the good old days before the internet and 250rwhp 2V builds were a thing.

I was goona say you have no idea but i have no idea what idea's you have. But i digress, in some ways they were the good old days but in reality they really were not. You couldnt just jump on the computer and have fresh new part anytime you wanted,more like a trip to the junk yard for a less worn out part. And whenever the customer was stumped the problem was blamed on the carburetor since they had no idea how it worked lol. Its like going back to the summer camp you went to, nothing like you remembered.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I hate to say it, but it is called change for those that wonder why young people don't notice your magnificent machine. It isn't just the young people...have you notice which manufacturers have reduced the models of cars with gasoline engines in exchange for electric power? I'm with you on our cars, but I know there is a thing called reality and money. Schools drop Auto Mechanics/Shop but they added Computer Programming and the like.

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was a little late to the MM&FF magazines so I only had a year or two worth of their mags. I think the work ethic needed and the pay scale (flat rate) is why there are fewer and fewer technicians now a days. I’m almost 28 and I’m always the youngest tech wherever I work (GM, Nissan, VW and now Audi). Most of the younger generation don’t want to work hard for their money, and with the industry going “green”, electric cars are going to change the game. Most of you fellas are from the era where “tune ups” were a thing. Now it’s a 5k or 10k mile service that includes an oil change and tire rotation. Eventually you’ll get your 40k or 50k where you also replace cabin and air filters, MAYBE spark plugs. Pretty soon, there won’t be oil to be changed on these new cars. And with “service” work becoming lesser by the year, money will be harder to make on these cars that require less and less maintenance. Eventually, I could see the younger generation in conjunction with new technology being the demise of flat rate pay. But with that will come the need for more training. You can’t have just anybody poking around those big orange wires.

But to get back to the topic, I really wish mags like that were still around. For the same reason I still buy cd’s. There’s just about having a hard copy or at least something tangible. May have to look into Mustanghub...

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
With the future being electric(even though I think you will be able to buy hybrid electric/gas engine vehicles for many years to come) there will still be a need for smart, diagnostic techs. A friend of mine joined Tesla as a tech last year and I joked that the training would take only a couple weeks-after all how complicated could an electric car be? Apparently plenty!

He said training would take a few months. Also, he said there were very few young guys in the training program.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
8745272.jpg

I miss the MM&FF Fun Ford Weekends. Here is a pic from their site of Bristol in 2005. That is me, 5th back on the inside in the Redfire Terminator.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels