Sponsored

The last 2016 GT350R??

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The car gods smiled on me last Friday. The dealer I bought my 2013 SBY Boss 302 from called me to say that Ford had just dropped a GT350R production slot on them and did I want it? Hell yes! Since I have had my "build" with me for the past 6 months, I told him Magnetic paint, Black stripes, cover, Electronics Package. By Sunday, Ford had pulled the Shelby off their web site so mine must be one of the last 2016's. Any idea how long this will take? Now I have to sell my Boss 302 and my prized 1966 Mustang K Code Fastback to keep the peace at home. This is the only car I would do this for!
Congratulations and yes a pretty easy decision to take an allocation for an R model at this stage of the game especially if the price is right and I hope that your dealership treated you fairly?

Pretty cool to say the least and I am sure that you appreciate your good fortune compared to many on here that have been looking for an R for a very long time!

Will you sell your 2013 SBY Boss 302 or your '66 K Code 2+2 as both great cars and hope that you could keep both of them? Is your Boss an LS or a regular Boss?

I hope that your chassis build number will be the very last one built but certainly time will tell as to how close to the end of the line that your car will be for the 2016MY?

I suggest that the last R models will be built sometime in May but that is pure speculation on my part and could be sometime in late April. All depends on when Ford decides to cut off the 2016MY build as I have a gut feeling that the 2016MY may end earlier than normal this MY?

My R model is still sitting in FR and awaiting transportation with body panel assembly starting on March 7th and completed assembly on March 10th with the chassis number being "GR107" so obviously a long ways to go in order to get to the ~400 to ~500 "R" production level as predicted earlier this year but still much lower production numbers than the ~750 Laguna Seca's built in 2012 and 2013.

Keep us all posted as to how you make out!
:cheers:
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
FUUUUU I wish I had an R fall in my lap like that!

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Hmmm. I have an R on order. I've also had a '68 C-Code convertible and a '67 A-Code Fastback. A '66 K-Code Fastback is something special. Is it a GT as well?

Damnit. Now I want another 1st generation.

OP
OP
Joe Stang

Joe Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R (on order)
Thanks for all the kind words. For those that have asked, the Boss 302 is a School Bus Yellow 2013 bought new from the dealer in MN that I am getting the GT350R from. It is not a Laguna Seca model but has all other options and only 2500 miles. I searched for 10 plus years for my 1966 Fastback GT K Code and have owned it for over 10 years. It's won many awards but one of my favorite memories was winning "Best Street Car" at the 2014 Historic Races at Road America. I'd love to keep both of these cars the but money for the Shelby has to come from someplace. I will try to figure out how to post pictures soon.

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
you will have a hard time replacing the 66 if you regret it. these 350 will be all around and loose value.

especially a K code. You will never loose on the 66. just opinions. good luck what ever you do and looking forward to seeing the pics of the 66.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Another vote for keeping the K-code.....I'd dump the Boss many times over before I'd part with that '66.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
There is no way I would sell that '66 Fastback K code for an R model. No way, no how.

That is a very special Mustang and is not worthy of being replaced by an R model. Just my opinion, of course :)

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Congratulations and yes a pretty easy decision to take an allocation for an R model at this stage of the game especially if the price is right and I hope that your dealership treated you fairly?

Pretty cool to say the least and I am sure that you appreciate your good fortune compared to many on here that have been looking for an R for a very long time!

Will you sell your 2013 SBY Boss 302 or your '66 K Code 2+2 as both great cars and hope that you could keep both of them? Is your Boss an LS or a regular Boss?

I hope that your chassis build number will be the very last one built but certainly time will tell as to how close to the end of the line that your car will be for the 2016MY?

I suggest that the last R models will be built sometime in May but that is pure speculation on my part and could be sometime in late April. All depends on when Ford decides to cut off the 2016MY build as I have a gut feeling that the 2016MY may end earlier than normal this MY?

My R model is still sitting in FR and awaiting transportation with body panel assembly starting on March 7th and completed assembly on March 10th with the chassis number being "GR107" so obviously a long ways to go in order to get to the ~400 to ~500 "R" production level as predicted earlier this year but still much lower production numbers than the ~750 Laguna Seca's built in 2012 and 2013.

Keep us all posted as to how you make out!
How did you get your chassis #?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A restomod 66 is next on my list. Nice 50 year spread between the two! I just need to figure out how to shoe-horn a coyote into one

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
There is no way I would sell that '66 Fastback K code for an R model. No way, no how.

That is a very special Mustang and is not worthy of being replaced by an R model. Just my opinion, of course :)
I guess it all comes down to what the owner wants out of either his '66 K Code 2+2 versus an R model.

Performance wise it is not even close and from an investment standpoint that can be debated as well as to the pros and cons.

I could be wrong but was there not ~5500 K Code Mustangs built back in 1966 so from a production standpoint these cars are not as rare as many people think.

I had a '65 K Code 2+2 for many years and it was a terrific vehicle but personally at this stage of my life I would much happier with an R model than a K Code Mustang.

Certainly respect your opinion but having driven both I personally would go with the R model over the K Code Mustang and can't wait for my R model to be shipped out of FR.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I guess it all comes down to what the owner wants out of either his '66 K Code 2+2 versus an R model.

Performance wise it is not even close and from an investment standpoint that can be debated as well as to the pros and cons.

I could be wrong but was there not ~5500 K Code Mustangs built back in 1966 so from a production standpoint these cars are not as rare as many people think.

I had a '65 K Code 2+2 for many years and it was a terrific vehicle but personally at this stage of my life I would much happier with an R model than a K Code Mustang.

Certainly respect your opinion but having driven both I personally would go with the R model over the K Code Mustang and can't wait for my R model to be shipped out of FR.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't wait to see pictures of your R:ford:

TripleYellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby GT350

Each has it's own qualities and appeal. Nothing wrong with having both.;)

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Nice choice on the R. Reminds me of one I see every day!
image.jpeg

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
you will have a hard time replacing the 66 if you regret it. these 350 will be all around and loose value.

especially a K code. You will never loose on the 66. just opinions. good luck what ever you do and looking forward to seeing the pics of the 66.
Another vote for keeping the K-code.....I'd dump the Boss many times over before I'd part with that '66.

Quit discouraging him. I wanna buy it! Hahaha!
Sponsored