The Fate on the ICE

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
At 300km/h ICE cars DRINK fuel, probably around 3 mpg (imperial) x 13 imperial gallon tank is 39 miles. At 180 mph that is just over 10 minutes!
But what a glorious 10 minutes they would be!
Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
What about waiting in line for God knows how long to charge the car on a trip if the limited number of stations are in use? Humbug!

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Who foots the bill for said infrastructure? and who reaps the profits? Let me guess. The taxpayer foots and the car companies reap.
How could the car companies benefit? EV charging infrastructure varies by country, some public and some private money, often a blend. If the charging company installs the charger why should they not make a profit from selling the electricity ? Do oil companies not make huge profits from selling petrol ?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How could the car companies benefit?
the car company profits from car unit sales, but it neither nor the purchaser of the vehicle pays to improve the infrastructure necessary for the car to operate. With suitable data-modeling we can probably arrive at a fee at point of sale that "pays" for the incremental cost of every new EV.

The EV buyer should pay into the EV infrastructure shared-pool, (based on zip-code?) that pays for grid improvements and charger deployment.

The whole "savings" of EV is predicated on cost-shifting - aka STEALING from everybody else to subsidize their choice of vehicle.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Haha ridiculous must be the aero. 3 MPG it really bad even for the highest performance ICE.

I have seen 1 -1.5 hr or so hoovering between 130 and 180, and more at times. Sometimes less power is more haha. It does take longer to go from 130-170/180 though.
But the difference between 130 to 180 variable and foot planted 180 is big. The power required to push the car 1mph faster at 180mph is about 5bhp as drag squares with speed.

The power requirement (assuming similar frontal area and drag) is about the same for all cars at any specific speed. The engine output is only relevant to top speed, so the 2.0, 3.0 and 5.0 in the same body shape will all need to be producing about the same power at 130mph to keep it at a steady state. Obviously the higher powered car can get there quicker.

As to consumption at 180mph. Here are a few I have found - extrapolate those graphs. Even a 535d extrapolated would only be 10mpg. A BMW 8 series (E31) showed 5 mpg at 180mph in another piece. Very noticeable that even at 130mph most are still mid teens.

1639073268520.png

Air gets very resistive at speed, hence why airliners cruise speeds are well below their maximum speeds.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
But the difference between 130 to 180 variable and foot planted 180 is big. The power required to push the car 1mph faster at 180mph is about 5bhp as drag squares with speed.

The power requirement (assuming similar frontal area and drag) is about the same for all cars at any specific speed. The engine output is only relevant to top speed, so the 2.0, 3.0 and 5.0 in the same body shape will all need to be producing about the same power at 130mph to keep it at a steady state. Obviously the higher powered car can get there quicker.

As to consumption at 180mph. Here are a few I have found - extrapolate those graphs. Even a 535d extrapolated would only be 10mpg. A BMW 8 series (E31) showed 5 mpg at 180mph in another piece. Very noticeable that even at 130mph most are still mid teens.

1639073268520.png

Air gets very resistive at speed, hence why airliners cruise speeds are well below their maximum speeds.
Yes it does. For a car, the air drag force is a squared function of velocity, and the required HP is a cubic function of velocity.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
California to ticket high-pollution trucks, lawn mowers (msn.com)

Hello; I imagine all can see where this is going. These notions will not stop at lawn blowers and weed eaters. I have seen one of the people who push these agendas on Washington Journal TV. When asked about air conditioning, it was an interesting response. Point mainly being she was willing to discuss the refrigerant gases and how bad they are for the environment but never actually said doing away with home AC was off the table.
After they get ICE lawn equipment out, they will go for something else. Of course, if the EV gets mandated everywhere before the grid is capable, we will be having to turn off some of our electric appliances. Why not turn off the AC?

Now the lawn mowers will not bother me as I do not live in California so mowing will be their problem. It is such a dry area, if I lived there, I likely would not try to have grass.
I have been looking to buy a rider mower for nearly a year now. When I go to the Lowes site, I find a base ICE rider for around $2000. A base electric rider is around $5000 with only four of the batteries included. It will hold six batteries and you need six to get the advertised max run time. So, to get the max run time I will have to buy two more batteries for a few hundred dollars. I guess there are not any incentives for lawn equipment.

If I ran a trucking company outside of California perhaps just not go into the state at all. Maybe haul to a border state and let California come and get the stuff they want. Might not be practical or workable.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Closed-Loop Battery Recycling Is Closer Than You Think (linkedin.com)

Hello; This is another one of the "sometime in the future" features we can have. Nothing much in place yet.
Hello; Here is a challenge. How much overburden must be moved and processed to get enough lithium for one battery? Using the information from the link i did this. If 320 grams is 4% of a battery, then the entire battery has 25 times more lithium content. 25 X 320 g = 8000 grams of lithium. 8,000 grams is 8 kg I think.

The lithium content in raw ore has about one half of one percent. So, 2000 grams of ore will yield one gram of lithium. That gets us to 8000 X 2000 = 16000000 grams of ore or 16,000 kg of ore.
Back to my question. Ore is not overburden. I grew up in strip mine country. To get to the coal in a surface mine all the dirt and rock covering the coal seam is dug out and removed. That removed rock and dirt is the overburden. So, does anyone know how much dirt and rock is moved to get at the lithium ore?

"A year ago the European Commission proposed a new battery regulation stating that by 2030 every battery produced shall contain 4% of lithium from recycling. That is 320 g recycled lithium in a 400 kg battery"

"A ton of lithium ore from a typical hard rock mine has about 0.5% relative lithium content."

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
California to ticket high-pollution trucks, lawn mowers (msn.com)

Hello; I imagine all can see where this is going. These notions will not stop at lawn blowers and weed eaters. I have seen one of the people who push these agendas on Washington Journal TV. When asked about air conditioning, it was an interesting response. Point mainly being she was willing to discuss the refrigerant gases and how bad they are for the environment but never actually said doing away with home AC was off the table.
After they get ICE lawn equipment out, they will go for something else. Of course, if the EV gets mandated everywhere before the grid is capable, we will be having to turn off some of our electric appliances. Why not turn off the AC?

Now the lawn mowers will not bother me as I do not live in California so mowing will be their problem. It is such a dry area, if I lived there, I likely would not try to have grass.
I have been looking to buy a rider mower for nearly a year now. When I go to the Lowes site, I find a base ICE rider for around $2000. A base electric rider is around $5000 with only four of the batteries included. It will hold six batteries and you need six to get the advertised max run time. So, to get the max run time I will have to buy two more batteries for a few hundred dollars. I guess there are not any incentives for lawn equipment.

If I ran a trucking company outside of California perhaps just not go into the state at all. Maybe haul to a border state and let California come and get the stuff they want. Might not be practical or workable.
Hello; In my state of TN and my birth state of KY there were bad storms overnight. I am lucky in that when the storm line got to me it was not as destructive. I got lots of wind and rain, but no actual damage. I had a college buddy from Mayfield, but that was decades ago.
My point this post is these storms will take out solar panels and windmills same as they do solid buildings. After ICE generators are banned in places such as California, was will folks do for emergency power.
I have a friend who lives near Louisville KY. He has a propane generator permanently installed on his property.
Sponsored