corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
They could make them heavier. Take the GT-R for example, if it was 100 pounds lighter, it would be slower. Weight isn't about getting it as light as possible, it's about a careful balance between horsepower, torque, and weight.
Weight is always the enemy because power is not an end in and of itself. Shouldn't be unless all of your driving is 1320 straight feet at a time, anyway. How you distribute that weight matters.

Norm
Sponsored

mrkrabz

Threads
Reaction score
Weight is always the enemy because power is not an end in and of itself. Shouldn't be unless all of your driving is 1320 straight feet at a time, anyway. How you distribute that weight matters.

Norm
You're comment doesn't really make sense, but no, weight is not always the enemy.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's too much wheel for that car IMO. Tho maybe those rumors of it being wider could turn out true.
850 HP is also too much power for that car, but if you're bound and determined as a mfr (or whatever Shelby's status is) to do the power then you've got to at least try to harness it.

I still envision a mildly tuned 5.0L powered car using 315-wide tires on 11" front wheels and 12" wide rear wheels as a Z/28 competitor.

Nor so serious? Maybe take 20 or 30mm out of those tires and no more than an inch from the wheel widths and you have your more streetable setup, all under normal fenders if the design crew leaves just a little extra room. Think 1LE competition.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You're comment doesn't really make sense, but no, weight is not always the enemy.
Of course it is, unless you're putting luxury ahead of performance (which shouldn't be the Mustang's mission, ever) or driving three or four miles at a time at Bonneville (where you need the weight for sufficient traction to achieve those speeds on the salt).

Norm

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
Of course it is, unless you're putting luxury ahead of performance (which shouldn't be the Mustang's mission, ever)
I think most of the Mustangs ever sold have had six cylinder engines. Mr. Marketplace wants style and some luxury, with those of us also wanting performance in the minority.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
These days he also wants fuel economy as well, which is nearly always adversely affected by extra weight. Minimal amounts of added weight as a consequence of improved aero is the only exception I can think of offhand.

Mr. M may not want performance as a top priority, but that doesn't mean he wants less of it either. This might be something that doesn't get noticed right away but gradually becomes a vaguely dissatisfied feeling of the car not being particularly peppy - that'd come around to hurt you later. Even Prius drivers drive with a little zip between zero and whatever.

Norm

StangFX

Interesting. IF this is the GT350 or some other SVT variant,

Possible we are seeing some carbon fiber here ?
That would be a crazy amount of CF. I think we're looking at mostly black tape or paint here. If there is CF used for the body I would expect it's only a portion of the hood and roof. I would be surprised if it used more CF than the C7.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
Well to me it makes more sense than the "early prototype" theory given what we've heard about the GT350 and Ford's real emphasis on special editions and performance models for the S550. It could be as expensive as the C7.

Any design should be completely set in stone, probably a while back so testing an early prototype is silly.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
While most Mustang are used as daily drivers on the street and will never even get within sniffing distance of a track, Ford is well aware of the huge Mustang aftermarket business that has always been there and that has blossomed exponentially since the introduction of the S197. From my limited conversations with a few folks from Ford, performance...and by extension, weight reduction....is a big influence/factor on the 6th Gen Mustang. Ford and Ford Racing are not ready to cede any ground to Chevrolet or anyone else quite yet.

bullets

While most Mustang are used as daily drivers on the street and will never even get within sniffing distance of a track, Ford is well aware of the huge Mustang aftermarket business that has always been there and that has blossomed exponentially since the introduction of the S197. From my limited conversations with a few folks from Ford, performance...and by extension, weight reduction....is a big influence/factor on the 6th Gen Mustang. Ford and Ford Racing are not ready to cede any ground to Chevrolet or anyone else quite yet.
Since the introduction of the S197 ford has seen:

- more competition
- lost sales lead to chevy and challenger nipping at them now
- stricter CAFE
- higher gas prices
- new z28 halo car to contend with

The base 2005 was nearly identical in weight compared to the 2004 base IIRC. With so many more reasons for weight loss and better performance now than 2004, it makes little sense that Ford would do LESS in improvements than for the SN95 to S197 transition. Ford has the benefit of all the R&D and budget for the new platform to produce base and halo cars that will outperform the base and halo Camaros on its aging platform. In order to do this the platform itself has to evolve and improve. It has to be lighter AND stronger. It's not enough to put in a bunch of carbon fiber in the halo model. They'll have to build those improvements into the bones of the car.

Sponsored

Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Mustang GT
Since the introduction of the S197 ford has seen:

- more competition
- lost sales lead to chevy and challenger nipping at them now
- stricter CAFE
- higher gas prices
- new z28 halo car to contend with

The base 2005 was nearly identical in weight compared to the 2004 base IIRC. With so many more reasons for weight loss and better performance now than 2004, it makes little sense that Ford would do LESS in improvements than for the SN95 to S197 transition. Ford has the benefit of all the R&D and budget for the new platform to produce base and halo cars that will outperform the base and halo Camaros on its aging platform. In order to do this the platform itself has to evolve and improve. It has to be lighter AND stronger. It's not enough to put in a bunch of carbon fiber in the halo model. They'll have to build those improvements into the bones of the car.
In 65 and 66 they were competitive with the Corvette,,,,,,then to compete with Camaro in 67 they changed to go with the times and the bigger cubes they needed to get the ponies.
I personally would like to see the return of the GT 350 as a vette KILLER and not to compete with the Challenger or Camaro

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Weight and aerodynamics are everything. We are no longer in the days of "just add more power to make a brick go fast". By making the car lighter and sleeker, the same power (no matter what level) is more efficient. Plus, it is more fun to drive, even for mr daily driver.

In football terms, It needs to go from an "up the gut" running back to an "across the middle" wide receiver.

bullets

I would hope this is true but it better not be only Ford Racing that is concerned about this. A kick-ass halo car would be great for corporate bragging rights but let's face it if the regular S550 can't lose weight it won't matter how good the GT350 or any SVT/Shelby variant will be. Personally I'd rather they pour all that money into the GT, your average Joe's performance car.

In 65 and 66 they were competitive with the Corvette,,,,,,then to compete with Camaro in 67 they changed to go with the times and the bigger cubes they needed to get the ponies.
I personally would like to see the return of the GT 350 as a vette KILLER and not to compete with the Challenger or Camaro
Yea who wouldn't want a vette killer but let's be realistic here performance has to be commensurate with price. What you said is true but a lot of it has to do with weight so first things first, I think Ford will have enough of its hands full with the Alpha based Camaro.

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
So basically it seems the Evos was the missing concept for the 2015 Mustang all along.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So basically it seems the Evos was the missing concept for the 2015 Mustang all along.
Yes and no.

Some of the details and bodysurfacing are definitely Evos-inspired, but the proportion will be very different.

Hopefully, when S550 is revealed, we'll be able to see the two side by side and I think the differences will be very obvious.
Sponsored