Sponsored

The Face of the 2015 Mustang!

Vickstang

They didn't show us or tell us ANYTHING. I was extremely disappointed.
Not to rub it in, but was this the meeting? I can't believe they made you sign NDA's... no wonder you thought they would show you at least a teaser of some sort.

October 18, 2013, 11:55 AM

Ford Keeps Mustang, F-150 Plans Secret From Its Dealers

Ford CEO Alan Mulally, shown in September, is keeping the new Mustang and F-150 designs hidden from view.

Thousands of dealers flew into Las Vegas this week for a big meeting with Ford Motor Co. executives, hoping for a sneak peek at the two most important vehicles Ford’s expected to launch next year, the redesigned Mustang muscle car and the F-150 pickup truck.

After signing confidentiality agreements and filing into the ballroom at Caesar’s Palace, dealers were told … nothing. Instead, Ford showed them a 15-passenger version of its forthcoming Transit van and promised a freshening next year on the Ford Focus.

Ford executives at the meeting refused to acknowledge that the company is even working on a new Mustang and F-150 – a brushoff automotive journalists have come to expect, but not the company’s own dealers, one dealer said.

One dealer, who came in from the Midwest only to see the Mustang and hear about the F-150, said it was almost unheard of not to show at least something at the meetings. In year’s past, Ford has at least rolled out a Mustang Boss 302 and unveiled various other vehicles.

Another dealer was particularly irritated after reading a Reuters report that select journalists will get to preview the Mustang next week in Dearborn. Ford declined to comment on either the dealer meeting or the Mustang report.

“I am sure that we didn’t convey to them that they would see either of those products,” said Elizabeth Weigandt, a Ford spokeswoman.

Every car company stages get-togethers with their dealers – often in Las Vegas – where it’s customary to offer retailers a preview of coming attractions. Last fall, Chrysler showed dealers their entire slate of prototype vehicles, including an early mockup of the new Cherokee SUV.

Three years ago, Toyota used its Vegas dealer meetings to show dealers the designs for its forthcoming Camry sedan, the Prius c, and the Prius v. The cars were introduced to the public later at the Detroit Auto Show.

Ford may not be saying anything about a new Mustang, but it is trying hard to stoke interest in the Mustang brand. Ford is asking dealers to gin up big celebrations in April for the 50th anniversary of the Mustang’s 1964 debut.

Ford’s effort to put a lid on information about its new Mustang and F-150 is closer in style to Apple Inc.’s approach to managing news about forthcoming editions of the iPad or the iPhone than it is to typical auto industry practice. Still, that hasn’t stopped the automotive press from speculating about the direction Ford’s signature models will take.

As the Wall Street Journal reported last year, people familiar with Ford’s plans have said the new Mustang would take on more of the looks that Ford has on other vehicles like the Fusion, adopting design cues from the Evos, a show car Ford displayed two years ago at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

People who have seen the car say it is smaller, lower and wider than the current Mustang, which borrows much of its look from late 1960s editions of the car. The new Mustang will be sold in Europe for the first time.

Another dealer said he was much more interested in the new F-150, which is due out next fall. “The Mustang is the frosting, the F-150 is the cake,” he said. The big pickup is Ford’s best-selling vehicle and part of the best-selling model line in the U.S. market.

To boost the F-150’s fuel efficiency in a market where mileage has become almost as important as horsepower or towing capacity, Ford is aiming to cut up to 700 pounds out of the truck by using aluminum body panels and structures, people familiar with the project have said. That weight saving could help boost the truck’s fuel efficiency by 15%-20% over the current model.

Mass market auto makers have been reluctant to use aluminum extensively in high-volume vehicles because it’s more expensive and more difficult to assemble than steel.

New assembly technology and the benefits a big fuel economy improvement could bring appear to have persuaded Ford to take the plunge. But the company has a lot to lose if something goes awry with the new F-150. The auto maker gets about 40% of its North American profits from the F-series line, according to Goldman Sachs.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...-mustang-f-150-plans-secret-from-its-dealers/
Sponsored

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Not to rub it in, but was this the meeting? I can't believe they made you sign NDA's... no wonder you thought they would show you at least a teaser of some sort.
Some details in that article are incorrect (regarding Jeep and Toyota), but nonetheless very informative concerning Ford. It's very odd how they wouldn't have already, as usually dealers will be shown something 9-12 months before sales launch. I've read how many years ago, Infiniti previewed to journalists the 2002 Q45 and 2003 G35(Nissan Skyline JDM version) at the NYIAS in April 1999. behind closed doors (no camera phones back then), so the upcoming preview this week seems very valid.

I don't understand why Ford has been so reluctant though to show their dealers, as it makes one wonder if production will start much later on either one.

GTMamba

Threads
Reaction score
One dealer, who came in from the Midwest only to see the Mustang and hear about the F-150, said it was almost unheard of not to show at least something at the meetings. In year’s past, Ford has at least rolled out a Mustang Boss 302 and unveiled various other vehicles.

Another dealer was particularly irritated after reading a Reuters report that select journalists will get to preview the Mustang next week in Dearborn. Ford declined to comment on either the dealer meeting or the Mustang report.
I'd be pissed too. If they are showing media next week why not clue the dealers in on it too? Everyone had to sign NDA's anyways, are they afraid dealers more likely to leak?

Ford may not be saying anything about a new Mustang, but it is trying hard to stoke interest in the Mustang brand. Ford is asking dealers to gin up big celebrations in April for the 50th anniversary of the Mustang’s 1964 debut.
Pacettr, can you tell us what this "gin up big celebrations" for the 50th involve? Anything exciting?

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport

Ponywars

Some details in that article are incorrect (regarding Jeep and Toyota), but nonetheless very informative concerning Ford. It's very odd how they wouldn't have already, as usually dealers will be shown something 9-12 months before sales launch. I've read how many years ago, Infiniti previewed to journalists the 2002 Q45 and 2003 G35(Nissan Skyline JDM version) at the NYIAS in April 1999. behind closed doors (no camera phones back then), so the upcoming preview this week seems very valid.

I don't understand why Ford has been so reluctant though to show their dealers, as it makes one wonder if production will start much later on either one.
Or the delay of showing it to dealers is so no one knows when production is coming, and assumes it will be much later, thus helping them move the 14's off the lots. They may need some help towards that end.

Sponsored

pacettr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen, 2013 Lagune Seca, and
Yup

I'd be pissed too. If they are showing media next week why not clue the dealers in on it too? Everyone had to sign NDA's anyways, are they afraid dealers more likely to leak?

Pacettr, can you tell us what this "gin up big celebrations" for the 50th involve? Anything exciting?
Not certain but likely...vvv
I hope they are talking about getting the Ford stores to hype this celebration. http://www.mustang50thbirthdaycelebration.com/index.html

As the Pony Drives converge on Norman OK and the celebration sites, we hope to drop in on as many Ford stores as possible across the US.
Or the delay of showing it to dealers is so no one knows when production is coming, and assumes it will be much later, thus helping them move the 14's off the lots. They may need some help towards that end.

Incorrect.

so_r_crazy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach1 Cobra Jet
Doubt it as there are not many 2014 mustang on the lots here in Houston to choose from.

Sent by talk to text...mistakes expected. now Free

The Sarge

Well it is nearing colder weather but they better pick the inventory up if S550's been delayed until July-Sept. Things might be slow now but there's still prime March-June season next year to get thru. It won't be as robust (if you can even call current year's numbers that) since everyone sshould know S550 specs and probably what it looks like by then, but it could still be more than the aproximately 4k/mo like in Sept.

SigMPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Hi! I just hope the new Mustang will be unique and different and not a Aston Martin or Any other car look a like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Sponsored