OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Ok, here is some free advice to Chemical Guys, because I'm positive they are reading this thread. :giggle:

Consumers don't need the choice of 16 different wash soaps and 17 different tire dressings....................and no, those numbers are not made up. Throw all of them out and start from the beginning, in the process make sure the products actually work as they should or as described in the product description.

This is your list of products/chemicals that you and your customers actually need -

Soap / Washing -

Three soaps to cover three basic needs. Not 16 different types offering a variation on a theme.

- A pure, pH neutral maintenance soap that works in a bucket AND a foam cannon with no gloss enhancers, wax or sealants.

-A high pH soap for decontamination washing. Again, foaming and bucket wash compatible.

- A wash and wax type soap, I don't personally use these, but I do appreciate the need for them.

- A rinse-less wash concentrate.

Wheel Cleaning & Tire Cleaning

- A non-acid/high pH wheel and tire cleaner.

- A iron-removing wheel cleaner.

- A strong, high pH tire and rubber cleaner that is more powerful than the wheel & tire cleaner above.

Interior Cleaning / Protecting -

- A Interior Quick Detailer
- A pH neutral interior cleaner for safe cleaning of interior surfaces, including leather.
- A leather protector, sprayable and not a cream/balm. Matte finish.
- Plastic/Vinyl protector with a matte finish. Can be used for exterior trim as well.

Tire Dressings -

Realistically, only two are required, not 17!

-A water-based dressing for low to mid gloss and no sling.
-A solvent-based dressing for a glossier look and longer durability.

Polishing -

- A light finishing polish
- A heavy cut polish
- A one-step polish
- An All-in-One polish/protectant
- A metal polish (chrome ect)

Paint Protection -

Keeping with the theme of Chemical Guys, let's assume that a ceramic coating is not part of the plan.

- A liquid wax, with or without an Si02 element.
- A liquid sealant.
- A spray sealant for standalone use or as a drying aid.
- A Detail Spray (clay lubricant, quick clean ups, drying aid).

Glass -

- A glass Cleaner
- A glass sealant

All Purpose Cleaner

Bug Remover

Tar Remover

General Purpose Iron Remover

Water Spot Remover

IPA Based Prep Spray

Chemical Guys, you can make the cheque out to DFB5.0...............................:like:
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thank you for starting this thread! I’m an amateur detailer so picking peoples brains is helpful. My personal detailer that is use before big shows is a CarPro guy and he lets me take samples home to try out. Have you tried Elixir? I think reset just doesn’t last long enough because after two foam cannon washes my paint surface was not beading any more.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Agreed on CG, VRP is really the only good product they have. I’ve pivoted away from that to Carpro Perl thanks to D’s Cabinet write up.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
Agreed on CG, VRP is really the only good product they have. I’ve pivoted away from that to Carpro Perl thanks to D’s Cabinet write up.
If you don't dilute how glossy is it? I actually like a bit of gloss on the areas you don't really touch like top of dash/bottom of doors etc

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you don't dilute how glossy is it? I actually like a bit of gloss on the areas you don't really touch like top of dash/bottom of doors etc
I’d say it’s like a satin+. It’s got some gloss to it but at least to me it’s not super shiny. Next wash I’ll be applying Perl to my car and my wife’s car, so I’ll try to remember to grab some pics for you. D might have some in his Cabinet thread too

Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here used Wheely Clean by Dura-Coating?… is it worth the $28?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thank you for starting this thread! I’m an amateur detailer so picking peoples brains is helpful. My personal detailer that is use before big shows is a CarPro guy and he lets me take samples home to try out. Have you tried Elixir? I think reset just doesn’t last long enough because after two foam cannon washes my paint surface was not beading any more.
I have used EliXir, you may find it a touch streaky to work with, especially on darker colors, but it does impart plenty of gloss and slickness.

jun74.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Perl can be glossy if not diluted, although that can be adjust with a wipe after 10-20min.

IMG-2580.jpg

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I've tried so much shit over the past couple years and finally think I've narrowed it down.

car pro reset. Works great in a bucket or foam cannon. Slicker than pig shit and cleans well.

Brake buster for the wheels mixed 1:1 in a foam sprayer

Sonax BSD for a sealer if I want to take my time with it. Or carpro EchO2 as a spray detailer if I want to be quick.

That's really all I found I need for exterior. Cars are already ceramic coated.

Tried bead maker and I know people love the shit but I wasn't really impressed. Sure it's the slickest detailer out there but it doesn't last long. Hated it as a drying agent. Used it exactly like TRC does in their videos and it was just horrible streaking all over the car I spent another hour buffing out with a MF towel.

Geyon wet coat is nice too and I'll sometimes use it on my truck because it makes all that surface area go a lot faster.

Was on an ONR kick for a while and I really like how it comes out but I found the car has to already be fairly clean. Even with a pre soak I was getting faint scratches and leftover dirt using the recommended sponges. Never did try the "shit load of microfiber towels" method though.

For interior I use P&S Xtreme interior, and for tougher spots I use their terminator. For glass I use Gyeon Quartz Q2m.

I used to have a cabinet full of shit like you but it was all just taking up too much space. Is there better stuff out there than what I'm using? I'm sure. But I'm happy with the results.

Koch GSF is great in a foam cannon but looking at their cute periodic table of elements product list... Come on... What can you 100+ products really do differently from each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKs
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Meguiar’s Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

An expensive disappointment.

This purchase was in response to me picking up more paid details during the pandemic. I wanted to have a leather product that would be simple, easy and cost effective. While I did already have a couple of leather cleaning and protecting products that I loved using, they were on the higher end of the scale and would be eating into the profit margin. This lead me to Meguiar’s.

Meguiar’s have an extensive range, in fact they have several different product lines within the greater line up. The “Detailer” line is focused on professionals that need bulk product without the fancy bottle or label. This line covers most detailing needs, from APC to wheel cleaners, iron removers to spray waxes and everything in between. I was already using, and liking, Last Touch as a drying aid and the rather excellent Quick Interior Detailer. So, it ended up being a natural progression to choose their Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

apr223.jpg

feb2128.jpg

Meguiar’s Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, as the name suggests, is “designed to safely clean and restore leather’s original look and suppleness”. It’s also said to offer a non-oily finish with a “pleasant” scent.

mlcac100.jpg

Well, what a monumental mistake that was! This would have to be the worst product purchase I have ever made, mainly because I absolutely hated it and ended up with a gallon of the stuff sitting in my cabinet for the better part of two years.

First, the scent is atrocious, like a very bad simulated leather scent mixed with wool wash detergent. Despite the claims, it was the greasy, slick, shiny and slippery finish it left behind that I detested so much.

IMG-9398.jpg

IMG-9397.jpg

I tried using this product a couple of times, but just could not warm to it. As mentioned earlier, it sat unused at the back of my chemical cabinet for far too long. I finally relented and threw the remaining part of the gallon in the trash earlier this year.

I have had plenty of time to think about this product and it’s place in the Meguiar’s line up. Being a combined cleaner and conditioner, it’s clearly designed to provide an efficient processing of leather in a professional environment, one where time is money. The way it applies thick and heavy covers up the dirt with a layer of slickness, rather than cleaning and removing it. The finished result is a dramatic change in appearance that will not go unnoticed by a customer. Most people seem to associate leather with gloss, hence the finish left by Meguiar's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner.

All that goes against the grain for me. Clean leather is typically soft and smooth to touch with a matte to satin sheen. NOT shiny, slippery, slick or oily feeling. Returning a car to a customer like that requires more effort, typically a two-step process that involves safely deep cleaning, then followed with an appropriate protector.

50/50 shot showing uncleaned (top) and clean (bottom) -

IMG-2241.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

In defense to Meguiars, leather care products sold by the majority detailing companies are like Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. I don’t like these products for a couple of reasons, the above-mentioned shiny appearance, but also the thicker consistency makes application harder, especially if you have perforated leather. These products are often designed for leather, well derr, but automotive leather is either vinyl or split grain leather (vinyl coated leather), so they have little to no effect.

Companies like ColourLock, NV and Bowden’s take the above into account and are designed for automotive applications, effectively cleaning and protecting to achieve a soft, matte finish.

If anything, Meguiar’s Leather Cleaner & Conditioner taught me that it’s much smarter to buy a small bottle to try first. If you like the product, then order the gallon size. If not, you won’t end up throwing a large quantity into the trash like I did. :facepalm:

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Meguiar’s Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

An expensive disappointment.

This purchase was in response to me picking up more paid details during the pandemic. I wanted to have a leather product that would be simple, easy and cost effective. While I did already have a couple of leather cleaning and protecting products that I loved using, they were on the higher end of the scale and would be eating into the profit margin. This lead me to Meguiar’s.

Meguiar’s have an extensive range, in fact they have several different product lines within the greater line up. The “Detailer” line is focused on professionals that need bulk product without the fancy bottle or label. This line covers most detailing needs, from APC to wheel cleaners, iron removers to spray waxes and everything in between. I was already using, and liking, Last Touch as a drying aid and the rather excellent Quick Interior Detailer. So, it ended up being a natural progression to choose their Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

apr223.jpg

feb2128.jpg

Meguiar’s Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, as the name suggests, is “designed to safely clean and restore leather’s original look and suppleness”. It’s also said to offer a non-oily finish with a “pleasant” scent.

mlcac100.jpg

Well, what a monumental mistake that was! This would have to be the worst product purchase I have ever made, mainly because I absolutely hated it and ended up with a gallon of the stuff sitting in my cabinet for the better part of two years.

First, the scent is atrocious, like a very bad simulated leather scent mixed with wool wash detergent. Despite the claims, it was the greasy, slick, shiny and slippery finish it left behind that I detested so much.

IMG-9398.jpg

IMG-9397.jpg

I tried using this product a couple of times, but just could not warm to it. As mentioned earlier, it sat unused at the back of my chemical cabinet for far too long. I finally relented and threw the remaining part of the gallon in the trash earlier this year.

I have had plenty of time to think about this product and it’s place in the Meguiar’s line up. Being a combined cleaner and conditioner, it’s clearly designed to provide an efficient processing of leather in a professional environment, one where time is money. The way it applies thick and heavy covers up the dirt with a layer of slickness, rather than cleaning and removing it. The finished result is a dramatic change in appearance that will not go unnoticed by a customer. Most people seem to associate leather with gloss, hence the finish left by Meguiar's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner.

All that goes against the grain for me. Clean leather is typically soft and smooth to touch with a matte to satin sheen. NOT shiny, slippery, slick or oily feeling. Returning a car to a customer like that requires more effort, typically a two-step process that involves safely deep cleaning, then followed with an appropriate protector.

50/50 shot showing uncleaned (top) and clean (bottom) -

IMG-2241.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

In defense to Meguiars, leather care products sold by the majority detailing companies are like Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. I don’t like these products for a couple of reasons, the above-mentioned shiny appearance, but also the thicker consistency makes application harder, especially if you have perforated leather. These products are often designed for leather, well derr, but automotive leather is either vinyl or split grain leather (vinyl coated leather), so they have little to no effect.

Companies like ColourLock, NV and Bowden’s take the above into account and are designed for automotive applications, effectively cleaning and protecting to achieve a soft, matte finish.

If anything, Meguiar’s Leather Cleaner & Conditioner taught me that it’s much smarter to buy a small bottle to try first. If you like the product, then order the gallon size. If not, you won’t end up throwing a large quantity into the trash like I did. :facepalm:
What is a leather cleaner/conditioner (separate or dual purpose) that you’d recommend?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What is a leather cleaner/conditioner (separate or dual purpose) that you’d recommend?
Either ColourLock Mild or Strong Leather Cleaner -
Leather Cleaner with sponge | mild | 200 ml | 11087-en (colourlock.com)

Because your car is newer, you would then use ColourLock Leather Shield -
Leather Shield | 150 ml | 11012-en (colourlock.com)

Once the car is beyond three years old, switch to Leather Protector -
Leather Protector | 150 ml | 11010-en (colourlock.com)

Or.............

NV Cleanse -
Cleanse | Hydrating Leather Cleanser – Nv Car Care USA

NV Nourish -
Nourish | Leather Quick Detailer – Nv Car Care USA

I would also refrain from applying leather ceramic coatings, I don't think they have a place.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Either ColourLock Mild or Strong Leather Cleaner -
Leather Cleaner with sponge | mild | 200 ml | 11087-en (colourlock.com)

Because your car is newer, you would then use ColourLock Leather Shield -
Leather Shield | 150 ml | 11012-en (colourlock.com)

Once the car is beyond three years old, switch to Leather Protector -
Leather Protector | 150 ml | 11010-en (colourlock.com)

Or.............

NV Cleanse -
Cleanse | Hydrating Leather Cleanser – Nv Car Care USA

NV Nourish -
Nourish | Leather Quick Detailer – Nv Car Care USA

I would also refrain from applying leather ceramic coatings, I don't think they have a place.
Will these also work for vinyl? I have replaced my stock Recaro covers with Katzkin which is a mix of vinyl and leather panels.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Will these also work for vinyl? I have replaced my stock Recaro covers with Katzkin which is a mix of vinyl and leather panels.
They also have a cleaner and protector for artifial leather as well -

Cleaner for Artificial Leather with Sponge | 200 ml | 11096-en (colourlock.com)
Protector for Artificial Leather and Plastic - Surface Seal and Protection | 150 ml | 11065-en (colourlock.com)

When I ordered, I got both systems, but tend to just use the "leather" versions.
Sponsored