Sponsored

Test Drive Today...Clutch Question

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6M & 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I have been looking for a 19-20 GT PP1 so I test drove a 20 Kona Blue with AE and a 301a today. Car drove great. i liked the AE and thought that even the normal exhaust mode had a nice growl to it. Also, I was surprised how comfortable the cloth seats were. I haven't sat in a premium or a 401a so i don't have a point of comparison though.

The one thing that kinda surprised me was the amount of travel in the clutch and finding the engagement point. I'm not the tallest person (5'6") but i felt like when the clutch was to the floor and my foot was on the brake that my left leg was fully extended and my right leg was really flexed, like my right knee was up high. Is this normal? Also, it was a little tough finding the engagement point in the clutch coming out of first. It could be that i'm just not used to the clutch. But, overall really liked it.
Sponsored

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
steeda spring when you buy it will help a lot with feeling the engagement point, pretty common issue that stock they suck feeling it out

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Stock engagement sucks, first mod I did was pull the clutch spring and that made it way better

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
steeda spring when you buy it will help a lot with feeling the engagement point, pretty common issue that stock they suck feeling it out
^^^ + 1

OP: A 5 minute swap to the $20 Steeda spring makes the world a better place.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
A clutch spring isn't really an option when the OP is test driving, nor will it fix their issue with the travel distance.

Finding the engagement point just comes naturally. The computer auto revs the car in first, from a stop, to make things even easier. This feature was causing me to have rough engagements because it was adding my throttle input and over revving. So you can literally let the car find the engagement for you and then get an idea where it is yourself.

I'm a hair over 5"8" and I don't find the pedal travel an issue. Keep in mind that the steering wheel moves in and out, not just up and down. Move your chair forward and adjust the rest of the seat settings until you're comfortable. You can also tilt the chair forward and back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A clutch spring isn't really an option when the OP is test driving, nor will it fix their issue with the travel distance.

Finding the engagement point just comes naturally. The computer auto revs the car in first, from a stop, to make things even easier. This feature was causing me to have rough engagements because it was adding my throttle input and over revving. So you can literally let the car find the engagement for you and then get an idea where it is yourself.

I'm a hair over 5"8" and I don't find the pedal travel an issue. Keep in mind that the steering wheel moves in and out, not just up and down. Move your chair forward and adjust the rest of the seat settings until you're comfortable. You can also tilt the chair forward and back.
I didn't know that the steering wheel moves in and out. That might make a difference.

I think i was over revving as well due to not being familiar with the auto revs.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Most people don’t have the seat forward enough....

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
steering wheel does telescope, just have to release the lever under and push or pull as far as i know

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
I have been looking for a 19-20 GT PP1 so I test drove a 20 Kona Blue with AE and a 301a today. Car drove great. i liked the AE and thought that even the normal exhaust mode had a nice growl to it. Also, I was surprised how comfortable the cloth seats were. I haven't sat in a premium or a 401a so i don't have a point of comparison though.

The one thing that kinda surprised me was the amount of travel in the clutch and finding the engagement point. I'm not the tallest person (5'6") but i felt like when the clutch was to the floor and my foot was on the brake that my left leg was fully extended and my right leg was really flexed, like my right knee was up high. Is this normal? Also, it was a little tough finding the engagement point in the clutch coming out of first. It could be that i'm just not used to the clutch. But, overall really liked it.
The other problem you mention besides the problem the clutch spring will fix is reaching the clutch and getting it to the floor. I have the same issue and was able to purchase a clutch pedal extender on CJPONYPARTS. You remove the rubber cover, bolt the extender over the pedal and put the rubber on the extender. This allows me to sit further away, be able to put the clutch to the floor and still have my right leg flexed and comfortable. Worked very well for me.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP just needed to adjust the steering wheel/seat/etc.

There's nothing wrong with the clutch, and all the Steeda spring does is increase pedal effort. No increase in feel.

Seriously, someone needs to come up with a rigid cable replacement for the hydraulic clutch system. We need some fucking feel in these pedals.

Sponsored
OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP just needed to adjust the steering wheel/seat/etc.

There's nothing wrong with the clutch, and all the Steeda spring does is increase pedal effort. No increase in feel.

Seriously, someone needs to come up with a rigid cable replacement for the hydraulic clutch system. We need some fucking feel in these pedals.
To this point, I did adjust the steering wheel an seat which made a huge difference.

I also swapped in the Steeda spring which feels much better to me than the stock spring.

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
Amen to post #9. The pedal extender makes a world of difference. Do a quick search for them on this forum. After reading a couple of good threads, I got one from CJPony Parts. They have installation videos (it's a bit of a PITA). I watched their video, and those of other vendors and the manufacturer. Glad I went through it!

Last edited:

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
'21 PP1 here. I had leather heated and cooled seats for a week in a rental S550 and found the cloth unheated/uncooled seats more comfortable.

As for clutch having owned and driven many manuals (T45 cable, T56 hydraulic and manual throwout, various VWs new and old, Miata M6, Mazdas) the '21 GT clutch took a few weeks to get used to and now I have no complaints. Whatsoever. I can appreciate the clutch spring mod, but I suspect the less force you take off the clutch pedal the pressure plate will end up compensating for that and possibly putting undue wear on those pressure plate springs. Maybe others can weigh in on that thought.

Anyway, there is a clutch pedal extender which may help, but I agree with other posts adjust seat and steering wheel.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
Amen to post #9. The pedal extender makes a world of difference. Do a quick search for them an this forum. After reading a couple of good threads, I got one from CJPony Parts. They have installation videos (it's a bit of a PITA). I watched their video, and those of other vendors and the manufacturer. Glad I went through it!
I have to be honest...I was a little timid about posting that. I thought I would get beat up by the trolls for being short or humiliated by them for not just moving the seat up. I like to sit back as far as possible while driving and this extender allows me to do just that.

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
I have to be honest...I was a little timid about posting that. I thought I would get beat up by the trolls for being short or humiliated by them for not just moving the seat up. I like to sit back as far as possible while driving and this extender allows me to do just that.
When I read the reviews and testimonials on the various vendor sites, I was surprised the issue and solution were so little known. Even drivers well over 6' found it greatly improved the total driving experience. Nice to sit further away from the dash, and have the wheel and shifter in the right place. Also, no more moving the seat back to enter and leave, and way up to drive.
Sponsored