Sponsored

Temps are starting to get ridiculous...

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
Regardless.. the oil / coolant and cylinder heads temps stabilize at whatever the gonna be no matter what the ambient temps in summer are.
I agree about the CHT's. I don't think his Thermostat is working correctly. Also you don't need a retune to the OP. Lund tunes already have the fans coming on early so they don't have to re-tune for a 170t.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Questions for the OP.
1. How long have you had the car and has it always been like this?
2. Have you changed anything recently?
3. Are you labouring the engine at all? I’m asking this one cos more revs means more water pump speed.
4. Is the car throwing any codes at all?

For reference, I’ve driven my car quite often in 120 degree ambient and only ever saw 210 CHT max.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

For reference, I’ve driven my car quite often in 120 degree ambient and only ever saw 210 CHT max.
I see you are supercharged, I have to ask is that 210 CHT max even after going WOT through a few gears, or back to back WOT runs?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I see you are supercharged, I have to ask is that 210 CHT max even after going WOT through a few gears, or back to back WOT runs?
Those figures are from when the car was NA.
The Whipple is only recently installed. CHTs have risen slightly. I haven’t had a chance to test it in the Aussie summer but I’m expecting to see it rise a little.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Questions for the OP.
1. How long have you had the car and has it always been like this?
2. Have you changed anything recently?
3. Are you labouring the engine at all? I’m asking this one cos more revs means more water pump speed.
4. Is the car throwing any codes at all?

1. I picked it up at 5k miles, and it has 20k now. Don't recall seeing any concerning temperatures before making any mods, but it has been this running hot ever since I made quite a few mods at once (I'll explain in the next answer).
2. As of most recently (about 19k miles), I've changed tuners and reverted to a 93 base tune with stock injectors. (I had a flex fuel tune w/47 lb injectors, but it wasn't running right). The injectors were reinstalled recently as the new tuner seemed to get rid of my issues. Will be running e85 once again very soon.

When the car was around 16k miles, I essentially did a stage 2 upgrade w/ headers, gt350 cai, flex fuel tune, and 18 mani, all at once. Ever since that night, I've noticed higher than normal IATs (saw them hit like 157 that first night I drove it home). Since then, I've pretty much lived with high IATs that I've gradually seen get worse and worse with time. I imagine a part of this was the weather change as summer is pretty hot down here, but the IATs are not increasing linearly with respect to the ambient temps (they are getting higher, faster). Throughout all this time, I've expressed concern to multiple mechanics and here and have received help but I still don't think they are where they should be. CHTs are essentially the same story, but I can't be entirely positive because I didn't monitor them as regularly as I have since the mods.

3. I do a couple of times every drive I would say, but the most I'll do is about 5k rpm. Maybe once every other day I'll do a decently hard pull. I only do pulls at night though, when temps are looking good.
4. No codes.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
1. I picked it up at 5k miles, and it has 20k now. Don't recall seeing any concerning temperatures before making any mods, but it has been this running hot ever since I made quite a few mods at once (I'll explain in the next answer).
2. As of most recently (about 19k miles), I've changed tuners and reverted to a 93 base tune with stock injectors. (I had a flex fuel tune w/47 lb injectors, but it wasn't running right). The injectors were reinstalled recently as the new tuner seemed to get rid of my issues. Will be running e85 once again very soon.

When the car was around 16k miles, I essentially did a stage 2 upgrade w/ headers, gt350 cai, flex fuel tune, and 18 mani, all at once. Ever since that night, I've noticed higher than normal IATs (saw them hit like 157 that first night I drove it home). Since then, I've pretty much lived with high IATs that I've gradually seen get worse and worse with time. I imagine a part of this was the weather change as summer is pretty hot down here, but the IATs are not increasing linearly with respect to the ambient temps (they are getting higher, faster). Throughout all this time, I've expressed concern to multiple mechanics and here and have received help but I still don't think they are where they should be. CHTs are essentially the same story, but I can't be entirely positive because I didn't monitor them as regularly as I have since the mods.

3. I do a couple of times every drive I would say, but the most I'll do is about 5k rpm. Maybe once every other day I'll do a decently hard pull. I only do pulls at night though, when temps are looking good.
4. No codes.

Hmmm...
Ok, so just to be sure:
Your radiator hoses haven’t been removed at any time?
Thermostat hasn’t been replaced or anything of the sort?

It kinda sounds like you could have some air in the system but that’s just a wild guess.
Have you had the cooling system vacuumed?
I’m not sure if the coyote suffers from air pockets, just throwing it out there as an option.
Chucking a couple of bottles of water wetter in there might also help a little but it may be more of a band aid than a proper solution.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Hmmm...
Ok, so just to be sure:
Your radiator hoses haven’t been removed at any time?
Thermostat hasn’t been replaced or anything of the sort?

It kinda sounds like you could have some air in the system but that’s just a wild guess.
Have you had the cooling system vacuumed?
I’m not sure if the coyote suffers from air pockets, just throwing it out there as an option.
Chucking a couple of bottles of water wetter in there might also help a little but it may be more of a band aid than a proper solution.
I'm not exactly sure what hoses were touched when the manifold was installed, so I can't answer this question.
As far as the thermostat goes, it hasn't been replaced to my knowledge.

It sounds like I need to just do the pressure test to really get some answers. I'll try and do that this weekend.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I'm in Phoenix and saw 118" ambient temps on my way home this afternoon. Sat in traffic and never saw CHT's above 210 and ECT above 204" with AC and seat coolers on. I have a 170 Reische T-stat with the fan settings adjusted accordingly. BTW, I also have a Procharger Stage II system with a giant intercooler in front of the radiator. Today was the first ultra high temp test I've had and I was more than pleased to say the least. Good luck!

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Those figures are from when the car was NA.
The Whipple is only recently installed. CHTs have risen slightly. I haven’t had a chance to test it in the Aussie summer but I’m expecting to see it rise a little.
Thanks, had to ask. After I added FI mine went up 8-15 degrees depending how hot it is and how hard I'm on it.

OP, you can try burping the coolant, though it doesn't sound like your problem since it showed up after your mods that didn't involve the coolant system. It sounds like your intake somehow is getting it's air from the engine bay more than it should. Wish I had more of an idea for you. Are your fans coming on high speed?
Burping the Radiator Mustang.jpg

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm in Phoenix and saw 118" ambient temps on my way home this afternoon. Sat in traffic and never saw CHT's above 210 and ECT above 204" with AC and seat coolers on. I have a 170 Reische T-stat with the fan settings adjusted accordingly. BTW, I also have a Procharger Stage II system with a giant intercooler in front of the radiator. Today was the first ultra high temp test I've had and I was more than pleased to say the least. Good luck!
Sounds a lot like what I see until I shut it down hot and run into a store or something. If I do that and get it heatsoaked, after that my general temps rise another 5-10 degrees.

Sponsored

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
What's interesting is when Freeway driving in extreme temps (112' plus) the coolant and CHT's are actually higher than driving at slower speeds. In mild street driving the temps are consistently 5 deg cooler than at highway speeds. Not sure if it has anything to do with the procharger intercooler, or the fact that a lot of the factory radiator air dams are removed to make room for the intercooler? Either way it seems to be more than adequate even in our insane Summer temps.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What's interesting is when Freeway driving in extreme temps (112' plus) the coolant and CHT's are actually higher than driving at slower speeds. In mild street driving the temps are consistently 5 deg cooler than at highway speeds. Not sure if it has anything to do with the procharger intercooler, or the fact that a lot of the factory radiator air dams are removed to make room for the intercooler? Either way it seems to be more than adequate even in our insane Summer temps.
I can't recall what mine does on freeway at higher temps, been on surface streets more often. I did watch my IATs go down when moving today after redlights. Yep the thing works pretty darn good.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
When you top off the coolant sit there for a bit with the engine off and squeeze and release the upper radiator hose. It'll help push the air bubbles through. then follow the instructions posted above. With coolant low there is no doubt air bubbles trapped, possibly right on the sensor. Also I'd personally recommend a 170° t-stat. and confirm with your tuner what the fan low, and high turn on temps are set to.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
@Jay-rod427 isn't it the lower hose he wants to massage?