Sponsored

Tell me about your joy rides.

Dory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I confess, I recently got an x-pipe / Roush exhaust, but even prior to that often at night after work I take my 2015 GT out to rip around town near my house. I have set area that I like to drive in near my house and I frown if I approach an intersection and the light does not turn red preventing me from a crazy start at green. I like to go stoplight to stoplight as loud and fast as I can and then get on and off the highway quickly and loudly in a one mile span over and over again. I typically raise hell for about 45 mins before returning to my house. I like to do this several times per week. If there is any chance of rain or I am too tired I drive my Impala to work or to the store and what not, but default to my Mustang when I can.
Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
In my vocabulary "joy ride" is one word, joyride, and it means driving a vehicle without the owner's permission or knowledge, and it is a crime. I'd be interested in everyone's suggestions of an appropriate name for what Dory describes.

My history of Joyrides is short and old: I drove a homemade tractor left in our yard by an incautious contractor. A mile and back across the celery and strawberry fields. Very few minutes.

When I take my pleasure car out for no good reason other than to be diiving it, I tell my wife, "Going for a Little Drive". That might be twenty miles round trip to some unimportant turnaround. Often develops into an eighty- or ninety-mile loop through back country hills on the twisty-est roads I can find. Always at fast touring speeds overall, with the occasional spurt into three digits in "safe" circumstances.

I've done quite a few drag-race events, lots of runs, at legitimate drag strips with legitimate organizers. Some joy in that, as well. Not as much as in the hundreds of laps I've driven on roadrace courses in races and time trials, but better than none.

Getting to the meat of this nut, I just plain enjoy driving, any car, any time, any place, but particularly, especially, in my current pleasure car.

Last edited:

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
Don’t get pulled over, homeboy.

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
It's funny you mention the stoplights. I was driving my daily around last weekend and said to my GF that in the Mustang every stop light is an event! In a normal car it's just another delay.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have never stolen a car.

Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Hey babe, I'm gonna go for a drive... o/

Gone anywhere from 20 mins to 3 hours :p. Meet up with a buddy, and we might make a day out of it, see you after dark :)

Can be on some twisties within 15 mins. Or i might go for more sweeping curve back roads that aren't too tight or challenging(long curve in 4th at 60-70 just rolling into it). Maybe just a highway cruise which is basically straight. Love em all.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I'll spend entire days driving around. I work...a lot. I only get about 2 days off per month. So if it's my day off and it's sunny out I head into the country and get lost. I've found some amazing roads and towns this way.

But over the years I have developed a favorite spot I spend most of my day driving. Mostly twisty country roads that are empty. Some laid back coastal cruising and there is one intersection literally in the middle of no where. You have to stop but the speed limit is 60. So....free 0-60 times all day long haha.

When I'm out in the country in sport mode and I can smell the excess gasoline and hear the Corsa catback roaring like thunder. Well, on those days the world is perfect

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Two days off a month! That would suck for me but hope it works for you. I have a "circuit" as well for a romp involving back roads and hiway. Each involves it's own precautions (ie troopers or tractors) but it is a great way to have fun and forget about work or what ever as you experience a thrill or two. Sometimes you even "accidentally" ruin someone else's day..... That poor guy in his brand new Stinger.... Oh well..I did feel terrible for a moment there.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I call it a spin around the block.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I work alot as well, but I drive over 6 County's to service medical client's. Hill Country Texas & Coastal Bend Hwy's w/twisty's and chicanes. I followed a yellow Ferrari, year unknown, but it was a three digit thrill off and on a coastal hwy. Salute. A 370Z lost a 50 roll to me recently and I enjoy the twisty's w/ZL1 on occasion. Fun at red light I am not a stranger there either.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Getting up at 0 dark-thirty on a Sunday morning, getting coffee, and rolling out to Shenandoah National Park, getting there when it's still dark. Then just cruising.

It's dark, deer are darting here and there, the amazing views at the over-looks, maybe some fog, head-lights cutting through the darkness. And catching the sunrise, which is an amazing sight.

It's not about driving fast, it's about the drive and the scenery.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I'm currently TDY and this Armada is....well...an Armada? It's good for what it is a guess but rental. At home sits my lowered modified 300hp 2009 Mini Cooper JCW. My commute to work (at home) is off the beaten path because I love driving. Extra millage and time but lots of fun corners to carve up daily, it keeps the hum drum work life tolerable. I get to work and home with a smile M-F. Now when I get home (12 May) and get into Christine, I can't wait to see how well she handles the same course. That first 1k miles should go by pretty quick and the roush cat back will be a sweet musical as it reverbs off forest and buildings alike.

And not sure if Christine is her name yet as we haven't actually met. I am a Stephen King fan though and that's one of my favorite stories and she is Ruby Red in color.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I always enjoy red lights now. I even find myself slowing down if I know the light I'm approaching is about to turn yellow. On another note I have a favorite road out west of town down here in Az where there is a mile and a half stretch with no cross streets for traffic to interrupt a good pull and almost never any traffic on it. 120-140mph runs all day!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Every time I get behind the wheel, I become one with my machine. We throw down on these mean streets and leave strips of rubber everywhere we go.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Getting up at 0 dark-thirty on a Sunday morning, getting coffee, and rolling out to Shenandoah National Park, getting there when it's still dark. Then just cruising.

It's dark, deer are darting here and there, the amazing views at the over-looks, maybe some fog, head-lights cutting through the darkness. And catching the sunrise, which is an amazing sight.

It's not about driving fast, it's about the drive and the scenery.
Well said. Not too sure 'bout the 0 dark thirty though. :D
Sponsored