Technical question about valve noise 2019 S550 PP2

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
You know, me and a person I know have talked about this. He is in his mid 60's and is an auxiliary police officer still. He came out to the county when we where racing. A guy out there was complaining about his 2019 GT PP and his tick. The old man talked us and said "man, back in his younger days it was not uncommon to hear noises like that. It was part of having a fast car, a muscle car. It seems that people today have forgotten the mustang has the spirt of a car that fun and fast. Comfort comes second." after staring at this old man when we was talking to us younger folks he said in his gruff voice "you want luxury and a quiet ride, get a Cadillac or a Mercedes."

So the noise is part of it, the quirks are part of it, performance first, luxury second. I understand what the man is saying and well, he is right.
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
My personal guess is that it’s the tranny.
Not sure it's tranny related as it's prevalent on both the M6 and A10. I still think the most logical answer is the dual fuel system and the transition between port and direct injection. In addition, I've only heard it ever mentioned on the 18+ which would also support this theory.

Nonsequitur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Euro Spec - 2014 Focus ST with EFR7163
Also keep in mind that the Gen 3 Coyote has a higher compression ratio. This will definitely affect the amount of clatter noises that the engine makes.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Mine does it rattles like a mofo around 2500 or so. Car goes like Hell & I love it overall. I'm not letting it bother me I'm going to keep sending it whenever I get the chance.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure it's tranny related as it's prevalent on both the M6 and A10. I still think the most logical answer is the dual fuel system and the transition between port and direct injection. In addition, I've only heard it ever mentioned on the 18+ which would also support this theory.
Here’s why I guess tranny: I have a 6sp manual, and if I’m on the highway cruising in 5th or 6th, it’s much more subdued than when in 1st-4th. If I grab the shift knob at that point, it goes away.

I wish someone could test the dual fuel theory and put it to bed or confirm it.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Here’s why I guess tranny: I have a 6sp manual, and if I’m on the highway cruising in 5th or 6th, it’s much more subdued than when in 1st-4th. If I grab the shift knob at that point, it goes away.

I wish someone could test the dual fuel theory and put it to bed or confirm it.
I remember reading an article where a Ford engineer was discussing the dual fuel system where it uses port injection at lower rpm's and direct injection at higher rpm's. This transition from port injection to dual injection happens in about this same rpm range that we hear this "rattle".

I can replicate it every time I try it, and it's always load dependent within this exact same rpm range. Any slight letoff of the throttle or increase in the throttle and it immediately goes away. I'm convinced it's this transitioning that we hear.

This is not the same sound as the BBQ tick that so many have discussed and also effects pre '18 Coyotes. I've never heard anyone discuss the "rattle" on a pre '18 Coyote. I'm no engineer and nothing more than a shade tree mechanic, but this seems to be the most logical explanation to me.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Yup, this sound is the transition from port to direct injection. More specifically, it's the mechanical arm of the high pressure fuel pump creating a harmonic resonance off one of the passenger side camshafts. For some reason, the sound seems louder in some cars than others, but it's normal for all Gen 3 Coyotes.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yup, this sound is the transition from port to direct injection. More specifically, it's the mechanical arm of the high pressure fuel pump creating a harmonic resonance off one of the passenger side camshafts. For some reason, the sound seems louder in some cars than others, but it's normal for all Gen 3 Coyotes.
Source? I found videos of older gen coyotes with the rattle and it was believed to just be the vct system. Also not a problem, but I am curious what exactly is causing it.

To the OP, as has been pointed out, you'll be hard pressed to find a 2018+MY NOT make the sound. If it bothers you that much then, hate to say, but you need a different car.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
was believed to just be the vct system. Also not a problem, but I am curious what exactly is causing it.

Learning the same, saw a mode, did not catch the price, noticed it had some different cam drive pulleys and guides.

pep

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
I added Ceratec. Cant hear it now. And interestingly in Australia Ford recommends 5W30.

Sponsored

PetulantSenior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
My noise defiantly sounds valve trainish (is there such a word) and matches RPM description.
Could it possibly be a lubrication issue?
Going in to the dealer on Monday ... will update.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I took delivery of my 2019 Mustang GT PP2 on August 8, 2018. Last Fall I notice a rattling sound from the valve train at about 2,500 RPM. I brought it to my dealer and the replaced the timing chain guides. The noise persisted and so I brought it back to them. They had it a week and at the end of that time the service manager told me he could hear the noise but didn't know what it was. Two weeks ago I brought it back for a third time. This time they replaced the Cam Phasers. I picked up the car and not a quarter mile down the road the noise was back. Last week I brought that car to another dealer clear across the state. They had it for the week. They called me to tell me that everything that could be done about the noise had been done. So now the car sits in my driveway because I can't stand the noise. I'm at my wits end. I ordered the car just the way I wanted it and now It bothers me to drive the car. Is there anyone out there in Mustangland that might tell me what it may be. The car has 8,300 miles on the odometer and has never been abused or driven roughly.
The noise is the VVT. I'm going to guess that the noise you're hearing at 25 to 3500 RPM is in a very light on and off throttle situation.

I experienced the same exact situation with my 2017 Tundra. The noise drove me crazy and I was convinced there was something wrong.

So when I get the same noise under the same conditions in the Bullitt I'm not worried.

The noise goes away if you get a little deeper in the throttle or let off it's just at light throttle application with no or little load on the engine that the VVT creates the conditions for this light valve clatter.

I don't have the barbecue tick or burn any oil and there is never anything more than a very slight smear of metallic paste on the drain plug. It's just the nature of a double overhead cam V8 motor.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've had that noise for 41k miles. Mine is between 2k and 3k RPM, gets worse in track mode. There is a TSB on it. Normal operating characteristic and repair is not necessary...

Richard

PetulantSenior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Thank you guys for filling me in.
I'm still going to take it in and see what comes of it.

PS

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Thank you guys for filling me in.
I'm still going to take it in and see what comes of it.

PS
I hate the idea of one of those dealer monkeys taking my engine apart unnecessarily. I have 14k miles and 2 years, and it hasn't been back. I do my oil changes and hope to never need to go to the dealer. ZERO trust....

At least know it is normal.
Sponsored