jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I wouldnt think its best for me as a starting point. If I want heated and cooled seats, nav , with this huge screen, I'll go get in my F150. As for my cars I want sports/muscle car feel. I want the Recaro's, they are much better and comfortable than people think. Could give a hoot about nav in my 15 GT or my 16 350! I drive them for pure adrenaline feel not Sat Radio. I really want it I just Bluetooth my phone and I'm in. I personally prefer my go fast tunes on phone anyway! Now if I were to DD the car maybe the above, but not for me.
Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I don't even carry a cellphone, you think I want to pay 4grand or whatever it is for navigation help? :lol:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I totally agree with you here. When I first ordered my car, or just before I did, we thought it would be a cheaper option to add the track pak coolers later on down the road per the FP note to do so before attempting to track. OK, there.

When I hear folks say... "If I wanted fancy tech features I would have gotten a BMW!" I think that's kinda lame. I got those same BMW fancy features, but I also got a Voodoo powered V8!! ... so there!!

Grab some popcorn and prepare to pound the keyboard. But first hear me out. I present to you that the tech pack is a better starting point for modification than the track pack. I've held this opinion for a while, but here is my reasoning.

Tech and Track pack cars had a similar price point save for a thousand or so dollars. With the track pack you had the seats, better spoiler, strut brace, and cooling upgrades. Tech pack have you hard wired electronics upgrades such as sync, larger infotainment, heated/cooled seats, navigation.

In terms of modifications for the Track package cars there has not been discussed or a plan to be release a way to add the better infotainment or comfort features to that car. Retrofitting the tech pack infotainment system or heated/cooled seats does not appear to be a viaible option for track pack owners, so they cannot attain the desired 17 model all inclusive package. At lowest not in an OEM fashion. Track pack seats are better for laps, but still heavy due to being electronically adjustable as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong on the seats being electric.

The Tech pack is delivered minus the recaro seats, smaller spoiler, and no cooling upgrades. When Ford does release the OEM cooling setup you will have essentially attained the same Track + convenice/electronics option of the 17. This will also come at the same or close price point of the new 17 model. Tech pack owners also have the ability to add the spoiler or racing seats the track pack comes with. For weight savings it would make more sense to remove the tech seats and just install a non electric recaro, then swap back in your Tech seats for daily use. The track pack spoiler is relatively cheap and there are also carbon options for those who want it.

In summation I argue that it will be easier to modify a Tech package car at your leisure to get what most would call the total package provided by the 17 model. For this reason I vote the tech package the better car if you wanted street comfort and track prowess. At this point I know there are some track pack owners feeling the burn because they would have liked to get rid of that dinky screen and have the best of both worlds as well

:popcorn:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As people have said, it's an individual choice. I do love the heated and cooled seats, but prior to buying the car I really didn't want them. The in-dash stereo is better than I need as well. I also don't care about leather interior. The bolstering in the seats is ok, but they are too narrow for me.

I'm irritated that I will probably have to add coolers to make the car functional for my minimal track use. Never needed an all day track car, just want to be able to have some fun at my novice level a couple times a year. I'd prefer not to have to pull the nose off the car - it probably won't go back on quite as nicely as the original fit or be retained as tightly.

However, if Ford does indeed give us an option for coolers with pumps that can be turned on only at the track or with high transmission/ambient temperatures, I think that would be superior to the track pack coolers that have fluid circulating all the time. I don't want fluid pumping through a transmission cooler when it's below zero outside! Not the greatest idea for transmission longevity or shift quality. That's a design setup for cars to only be driven when it's warm and kept in the garage any other time. Not for me!

I think the 2017 configuration is an improvement, but I'm still not in love with the factory track pack coolers. For that reason I would agree with the OP that the 2015 and 2016 tech cars are the best choice as a starting point for my area of the country and my usage of the GT350 (99% daily driven with a couple track HPDE or autocross dates per year and ambient temperatures that are below 50 degrees more than half of the year). Of course this is making the assumption that we will end up with a transmission cooling solution from Ford or the aftermarket that retains 100% warranty coverage and reliability and has a pump that can be turned on and off. The base car would be a good starting point too, but I absolutely love magneride and I wouldn't be without it. The 2015 and 2016 tech packs may also end up better, but IMO it would only be in the long term once the cooler situation is taken care of. Right now I think there are a significant number of 2015 and 2016 tech pack and base car owners that are frustrated, especially if they live in an area of the country where it has been warm enough to go to the track.

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Grab some popcorn and prepare to pound the keyboard. But first hear me out. I present to you that the tech pack is a better starting point for modification than the track pack. I've held this opinion for a while, but here is my reasoning.

Tech and Track pack cars had a similar price point save for a thousand or so dollars. With the track pack you had the seats, better spoiler, strut brace, and cooling upgrades. Tech pack have you hard wired electronics upgrades such as sync, larger infotainment, heated/cooled seats, navigation.

In terms of modifications for the Track package cars there has not been discussed or a plan to be release a way to add the better infotainment or comfort features to that car. Retrofitting the tech pack infotainment system or heated/cooled seats does not appear to be a viaible option for track pack owners, so they cannot attain the desired 17 model all inclusive package. At lowest not in an OEM fashion. Track pack seats are better for laps, but still heavy due to being electronically adjustable as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong on the seats being electric.

The Tech pack is delivered minus the recaro seats, smaller spoiler, and no cooling upgrades. When Ford does release the OEM cooling setup you will have essentially attained the same Track + convenice/electronics option of the 17. This will also come at the same or close price point of the new 17 model. Tech pack owners also have the ability to add the spoiler or racing seats the track pack comes with. For weight savings it would make more sense to remove the tech seats and just install a non electric recaro, then swap back in your Tech seats for daily use. The track pack spoiler is relatively cheap and there are also carbon options for those who want it.

In summation I argue that it will be easier to modify a Tech package car at your leisure to get what most would call the total package provided by the 17 model. For this reason I vote the tech package the better car if you wanted street comfort and track prowess. At this point I know there are some track pack owners feeling the burn because they would have liked to get rid of that dinky screen and have the best of both worlds as well

:popcorn:
Better staring point TO YOU because you wanted creature comforts. Myself and most on this forum and many other mustang forums wanted the raw performance of this vehicle and choose the track pack. The only reason more tech caRS have been sold is because dealers assumed that's what the buyers wanted. Turns out, they were WRONG! And I am still perplexed as to how the tech vs track is a better starting point? FP has something in the works for coolers and the after market has no kit as of yet. Even when these kits are available, it will require either tapping in to xmsn housing or using less than desirable oil circulation points. Truly, the best starting point would be the base car. Clean slate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
That popcorn must have been made in one of those fancy machines that's stirs the stuff.

I wanted both minus the recaros. I love the Recaros but, just too small for me. The base seat is very supportive and I love the heated and cooled seats. I wanted the Nav, so, in 2016, Ford didn't make the exact car I wanted. Actually, they still don't. The closest I could come was the R model with the electronics package but that was a bit out of my price range. Bottom line, let the moding begin!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I didn't purchase my 350 tech intending to modify it extensively. I made my choice based on what was known at the time when I ordered it based on how I intended to use it for the majority of the time. Seeing that increased tranny temps , and possible diff temps, can occur with with this car (on track or not) that might cause excessive wear AND it could go into limp mode when I do track or do an HPDE, I will pursue a Ford sanctioned option when avaialble. Also, imho, no Shelby should have a limp mode. Agree that the 17s are what should have been offered all along. I do not agree a 15 or 16 base is where to start from scratch- too 'base' in my opinion- no magna ride, coolers...too raw for me.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Having a bare bones 2004 GTO, the tech pack is light years ahead in all areas. I love the seats and use the nav and bluetooth way more than I thought I would. I like the back up camera too when I remember to look at it. I wish I could activate the camera while moving forward (it stuck on once and was really cool).

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
Track - Add Sync 3 and Done
Tech - Add Track Spoiler and Diff/Transmission coolers

:shrug: Bonus points to Track because I wanted Recaros. Do the tech seats actually hold you in place when cornering hard?? I recently pulled .94Gs on a tight corner and i'm pretty sure I would have flown right out the drivers window if it weren't for my Recaros. Well, that and my seatbelt! :cheers:

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Didn't intend to start a war, but to propose that from my standpoint the tech pack is an easier model to achieve the best of both worlds with. Being that bolting on coolers, pumps, and lines seem much easier from my mechanical standpoint then trying to wire in all the added electronics of the tech setup. And several have already added coolers that weren't even OEM without a lot of fuss.

Track pack is definitely Better as a lap time beast without a doubt. Simply harder to put creature comforts in and get all the options.

I realized the only car that gave everyone what they wanted from the jump was the 16R model with an electronics package. All you would need is to spend $800 bones on a rear seat and you would essentially have EVERYTHING.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I realized the only car that gave everyone what they wanted from the jump was the 16R model with an electronics package. All you would need is to spend $800 bones on a rear seat and you would essentially have EVERYTHING.
Well thanks for settling that argument because a track package car would match the r interior wise (Sans the red stitching and on center stripe)with electronics package if you were to add sync 3 without having to add the rear seat. Just watched a how to install on the sync 3 into a base radio car on YouTube. So sounds like a 2hr job and I have the car!

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Good argument I guess. TBH, I got the tech version before I knew of any limp mode issues, plus I like the tech features, I like the recaros as well. I pretty much like everything about this car. If I would have known of the transmission temp issues and limp mode issues I would have waited for a 2017 but I found a great deal on my tech car in the color I wanted. I am not a very patient person when it comes to wanting something so probably a little of my own fault. I never planned to track my car since I would rather do track days on my GSXR since I raced for 8 years I feel more comfortable on a bike and it will not cost me 60k if I toss it down the track. If I ever changed my mind, it would have been nice to know the car would not go into limp mode. So in the end I will agree to disagree. I might have a lead on getting an R, if that doesn't work out, I will be waiting on FP for a cooler fix.

Either way I have driven my car pretty hard until I come flying up on slow people and haven't had any issues yet so probably good until some hot days come around. Still one awesome car no matter what package it is.

MY .02 cents

REAZO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Kurac, I 100% agree.

Here's my .02 of a buck.......

To me it comes down to either wanting the creature comforts or a track car. In MY 15 and 16, it was a simple choice and those complaining about limp mode apparently made the wrong choice. If there was even a remote possibility of using your GT350 for the track, then a track pack should have been purchased. I think my track pack is great. The heritage and legacy of the GT350 suggest that it is a track car and not a heated seat, sync3, creature comfort car.

I believe Ford had it right the first time. Ford built the track and R version for sustained track use. The GT350 supplement says "Your vehicle is capable of sustained high speeds and track day driving if equipped with powertrain coolers (Track, R model)". What is sustained track use would be the question, but it seems clear to me that the tech was not designed for, nor is it suitable for track days of significant duration. Of the thousands and thousands of tech cars, how many have actually had a problem with heat dissipation? I've seen a few (key word few) relative to the overall production numbers of tech cars. The reason? The majority of tech owners aren't using their car in a manner that ford did not intend.

That being said, Ford is working on the problem to satisfy the extreme minority of people experiencing this issue. Furthermore, I believe the tech option is a marketing product. Consumers that buy these cars for everyday drivers are looking for these creature comforts and you will not find the majority of them at the track. And it is my argument that the car performs as advertised in that manner. More data would have to be presented to convince me otherwise, but the point is moot anyhow. Ford is working on it.

Simply put, and I've said it before, if you wanted to track the GT350 in MY 15 and 16, you should have bought a track pack or deal with the issues. To me, the problem is solved twofold. Tech owners who are not happy can get their money back (or close to it) because these cars have gone up so much in value OR wait for the fix from Ford. Secondly, MY 17 has fixed the issue as already pointed out. Yes it costs more, but maybe that's the reason there were four models in MY 15 and 16 (base, tech, track and R), so that people who are budget consious could make the best decision that suits them.
My personal situation: I wanted a car that I could do some commuting in, but also an occasional track day (3-4/yr). Last car was the V8 BMW M3. It was the perfect combination. I bought the Tech Pack.

I bought the Tech Pack. Several reasons. 1) the Track Pack was incredibly hard to find in any color combo I liked. 2) It wasn't to be a dedicated track day car. The reviews really applauded the Tech pack performance.

However, had I ANY idea that I could only complete 12min of a mild track session on a cool night, I would NOT have bought the Tech Pack. I NEVER would have thought that the mighty GT350 in ANY form couldn't keep up with a normal GT on the track after the 12th minute on the track. I know I'll get crap from others about "should've known". But, IMO the mightiest track mustang ever shouldn't be unable to complete a 20min track session. Period. End of story.

As I "limp moded" off the track after 12min on each of my 3 sessions, I noticed something. It was just me and 3 other GT350 Tech cars having to stop. Normal Mustang GT and V6 all kept going. All of the BMWs, Camaros in all their forms, Miata's, Corvettes, and even a Plymouth Prowler kept going. Not one of those car owners needed to buy the "Track Pack" version. My previous M3 surely wasn't the "track pack". ALL of the M3 models could handle 13+ minutes of track time.

This design flaw and performance defect should be unacceptable to Ford. Currently working with local dealer on fix. No update to provide.

My .03 cents... Get whatever you want, I guess.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To each their own, really depends on your wants and intent with the car.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Better staring point TO YOU because you wanted creature comforts. Myself and most on this forum and many other mustang forums wanted the raw performance of this vehicle and choose the track pack...
That's not really true...
45% of the people here on this forum posted that they ordered the Tech Package compared to the 30% for Track Package.

Then another 15% went with the R + electronics package.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24224&highlight=Shelby+GT350+GT350R+Mustang+Orders
Sponsored