Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Grab some popcorn and prepare to pound the keyboard. But first hear me out. I present to you that the tech pack is a better starting point for modification than the track pack. I've held this opinion for a while, but here is my reasoning.

Tech and Track pack cars had a similar price point save for a thousand or so dollars. With the track pack you had the seats, better spoiler, strut brace, and cooling upgrades. Tech pack have you hard wired electronics upgrades such as sync, larger infotainment, heated/cooled seats, navigation.

In terms of modifications for the Track package cars there has not been discussed or a plan to be release a way to add the better infotainment or comfort features to that car. Retrofitting the tech pack infotainment system or heated/cooled seats does not appear to be a viaible option for track pack owners, so they cannot attain the desired 17 model all inclusive package. At lowest not in an OEM fashion. Track pack seats are better for laps, but still heavy due to being electronically adjustable as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong on the seats being electric.

The Tech pack is delivered minus the recaro seats, smaller spoiler, and no cooling upgrades. When Ford does release the OEM cooling setup you will have essentially attained the same Track + convenice/electronics option of the 17. This will also come at the same or close price point of the new 17 model. Tech pack owners also have the ability to add the spoiler or racing seats the track pack comes with. For weight savings it would make more sense to remove the tech seats and just install a non electric recaro, then swap back in your Tech seats for daily use. The track pack spoiler is relatively cheap and there are also carbon options for those who want it.

In summation I argue that it will be easier to modify a Tech package car at your leisure to get what most would call the total package provided by the 17 model. For this reason I vote the tech package the better car if you wanted street comfort and track prowess. At this point I know there are some track pack owners feeling the burn because they would have liked to get rid of that dinky screen and have the best of both worlds as well

:popcorn:
Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Recaro seats are all manually adjusted. They are still heavy though because of airbags.

Retrofitting Sync 3 shouldn't be too hard once all the parts are available. Still would rather do that than the coolers especially the transmission since the bosses are built into the trans body, but thats my .02

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
In the intrest of debate, I disagree. Even Ford seems to disagree as the track package is the new base model for 2017. Adding the infotainment post delivery is becoming increasingly cheaper and easier. While Adding the additional coolers seems a bit more ambitious and still in the works. As far a seats go, they are probably a wash as far prices go (just a guess). In my mind the Recaros get the edge just on looks alone.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I don't care for the extra frosting, hence my search being limited to trax pax cars. To each his own, but the Recaros are awesome

Sponsored

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I haven't turned my radio on in my car. I can give two shits about a cars infotainment system.

But that's just my opinion

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
The essence of the GT350 model is in its performance. Not its comfort, electronics, stereo etc. That's why I have a track pack car. If I wanted comfort and luxury I probably would have bought German.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't care for the extra frosting, hence my search being limited to trax pax cars. To each his own, but the Recaros are awesome
Kurac, I 100% agree.

Here's my .02 of a buck.......

To me it comes down to either wanting the creature comforts or a track car. In MY 15 and 16, it was a simple choice and those complaining about limp mode apparently made the wrong choice. If there was even a remote possibility of using your GT350 for the track, then a track pack should have been purchased. I think my track pack is great. The heritage and legacy of the GT350 suggest that it is a track car and not a heated seat, sync3, creature comfort car.

I believe Ford had it right the first time. Ford built the track and R version for sustained track use. The GT350 supplement says "Your vehicle is capable of sustained high speeds and track day driving if equipped with powertrain coolers (Track, R model)". What is sustained track use would be the question, but it seems clear to me that the tech was not designed for, nor is it suitable for track days of significant duration. Of the thousands and thousands of tech cars, how many have actually had a problem with heat dissipation? I've seen a few (key word few) relative to the overall production numbers of tech cars. The reason? The majority of tech owners aren't using their car in a manner that ford did not intend.

That being said, Ford is working on the problem to satisfy the extreme minority of people experiencing this issue. Furthermore, I believe the tech option is a marketing product. Consumers that buy these cars for everyday drivers are looking for these creature comforts and you will not find the majority of them at the track. And it is my argument that the car performs as advertised in that manner. More data would have to be presented to convince me otherwise, but the point is moot anyhow. Ford is working on it.

Simply put, and I've said it before, if you wanted to track the GT350 in MY 15 and 16, you should have bought a track pack or deal with the issues. To me, the problem is solved twofold. Tech owners who are not happy can get their money back (or close to it) because these cars have gone up so much in value OR wait for the fix from Ford. Secondly, MY 17 has fixed the issue as already pointed out. Yes it costs more, but maybe that's the reason there were four models in MY 15 and 16 (base, tech, track and R), so that people who are budget consious could make the best decision that suits them.

MastrHU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Good luck with this thread. I think so too, but it really comes down to what the owner bought the car for. If you aren't some die hard track person, most of the differences are just personal tastes. I like the powered air cooled seats better, don't like the feel of the Recaros. I like the Sync 3 (awful sound though) and the toggle switches. Don't care if the strut brace is aluminum, functions the same on the street. The track's wing isn't going to make a noticeable difference for street driving. I will admit I think the track's wing would of been a nice option and I will end up putting that or the Rs on my car. It really comes down to the transmission cooler. Retrofitting the tech pack infotainment system would cost more than me going out and fabricating a transmission cooler setup. This comparison will be out the window for 2017.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
To each his own I suppose. We all tend to rationalize the narrative in a way that makes what we have, better.

I'm just happy the damn car has some kick ass brakes, has plenty of room for some phat ass meats, and is one sexy son of a bitch. Having an ice cold derriere is secondary for me.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Guess the post in the other thread wasn't quite enough.

I ordered my car 3/7/16 how I wanted it.

Having had a reservation at the top of the list for a 2017 allocation, once I realized what was coming for 2017 I decided having the car soon vs. having the risk of adm (which ended up being 5k after being told msrp) and a bump in msrp (not much really) I pulled the trigger. At this point the trans temp issues were quite obvious and were beyond a 1 or 2 fluke. Initially I had planned to purchase a base car. The wing wasn't important, nor were the strut tower bars. The coolers did appeal to me because I figured even before the trans temp issues that there is an obvious reason that they are even offered, and other track oriented machines have them offered or they are stock. The leather seats were not something I wanted, I don't find leather to be fitting for a track oriented vehicle regardless of it's price point and interior wise the seats and the wheel are what sets the car appart from the pp GT imo.

The sync 3 is cool and perhaps if I planned to travel in the car it might be something I'd desire. Navigation never interests me as I usually look it up on my phone quickly and easily and in the last 10 yr's of using them I've never had an issue with that.

My biggest wish is that somehow the recaro's could be cooled. This wont be a winter car for me so the heat has zero use for me.

The end of the day this is a performance car, I do plan to track it if only 2 or 3 times a year. The last thing I want is a 60k dollar track car that needs upgrades to function as a track car. Which is the reason I didn't buy a base and throw jrz suspension and other odds and ends and add the coolers. Both from a cost and a hassle perspective. It's much easier to swap in radio electronics than it would be to install a trans and rear end cooler. So now I have magnetic suspension, the seats I wanted and the coolers are there, the spoiler and strut bar are nice as well.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Safe assumption is that no mass production car is 100% tailored to the buyer's likes/needs.

Maybe the buyer will modify it further, maybe he (or she) will accept it as it is--some are into modding cars; some are not.

For those into mods, buying the car that is closest to the desired ending point is not necessarily the best option, because the buyer may feel that the fun is in modding the car.

So, the better or best starting point can only be determined by the individual buyer.