OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Most of the ones I see are just the screen, I search for Fusions, Fiestas, F150's Escapes, MKC etc. Most of the yards that dont list pictures never respond to requests for pictures so its tough to know what they are including.
This is advice to everyone looking.. You have to pick up the phone and call these places. Don't rely on the Car-Part.com email contact form. Most of these facilities that people are finding their parts at aren't set up for walk in customers. They're used to dealing with shops and adjusters.

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I HIGHLY recommend that the supplier send you pic's of the screen. The one I got had some defects and for the price I did not feel that it met my standards so they gave me an RMA and I sent it back for a refund.

The other challenge is whether or not the supplier has a VIN for the vehicle that it came from if NAV is in play.

I have used car-part and car-part pro and pro gives you warranty info and I see part grading that is blank on the generic site so sign up for a car-part pro account. I put myself in as a "rebuilder" as it wanted the field filled in and created a business name "yourname" Enterprises.

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is advice to everyone looking.. You have to pick up the phone and call these places. Don't rely on the Car-Part.com email contact form. Most of these facilities that people are finding their parts at aren't set up for walk in customers. They're used to dealing with shops and adjusters.
Exactly. I talked to the owner to confirm that it was a NAV APIM for that reason. He said it was in A condition.I give it a B-. Said I could return it within 6 months with the only condition being that I void that warranty if I alter the tamper seal that they put on the screen assembly. Apparently it is common for people to scavenge the electronics from this category of part or swap their bad screen out and send it back.

My APIM search continues while the other parts roll in.
I checked other forums and the market for these parts is climbing and supply is getting scarce, especially on the NAV capable APIM front!

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Exactly. I talked to the owner to confirm that it was a NAV APIM for that reason. He said it was in A condition.I give it a B-. Said I could return it within 6 months with the only condition being that I void that warranty if I alter the tamper seal that they put on the screen assembly. Apparently it is common for people to scavenge the electronics from this category of part or swap their bad screen out and send it back.

My APIM search continues while the other parts roll in.
I checked other forums and the market for these parts is climbing and supply is getting scarce, especially on the NAV capable APIM front!
Yea I dont care about nav since I have my phone but the prices of these Screen/APIM combos are going up in price. I've got a buddy who used to work at a Ford dealer and is still friends with some techs there, hes checking to see if they have any laying around I can pick up for cheap. Otherwise I've got my eye on a few combos Im going to make offers on if nothing turns up.

Sponsored

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Lately I've come across a few 2017 Ford Edges that were not wrecked, but being parted out. Assuming they were flood cars? It probably wouldn't be in my best interest to be buying a screen from a non-wrecked Edge then, right?

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lately I've come across a few 2017 Ford Edges that were not wrecked, but being parted out. Assuming they were flood cars? It probably wouldn't be in my best interest to be buying a screen from a non-wrecked Edge then, right?
Probably a good idea

Michael J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base EB; PP; Power Pack; Magnetic;
HextallS550, first, thanks for the great work and time you've invested in this project; I wouldn't have attempted doing this without this thread. Question: You advised him: "don't buy them [apim and screen] separately". Is there a reason other than the chance of buying a MFT screen, from not knowing the difference? I'm in the process of gathering the parts and bought the apim and screen from a 17 Fusion and 17 Focus.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HextallS550, first, thanks for the great work and time you've invested in this project; I wouldn't have attempted doing this without this thread. Question: You advised him: "don't buy them [apim and screen] separately". Is there a reason other than the chance of buying a MFT screen, from not knowing the difference? I'm in the process of gathering the parts and bought the apim and screen from a 17 Fusion and 17 Focus.
Did you get the connector that hooks the screen to the APIM? I'm not sure if you can find that other than 4dtech selling one on ebay for 70 bucks. There is a chance that you could get a MFT screen, but as long as you check the part number beforehand you should be ok.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I don’t trust salvage yards to disassemble them carefully and have had two screens damaged by electrostatic discharge, the other reason is the Fakra connectors are somewhat weak and again heavy handy salvage guys have weakened the header on the APIM board.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Did you get the connector that hooks the screen to the APIM? I'm not sure if you can find that other than 4dtech selling one on ebay for 70 bucks. There is a chance that you could get a MFT screen, but as long as you check the part number beforehand you should be ok.
That connector is not from 4D or Jesse or any of the other companies who use it. I know the actual connector manufacturer, every one else is buying these connectors as part of harnesses pre-made in bulk from various manufactures based in China. The connector in the picture above was made with a durability revision from my CATIA file and is exclusive to 1594 Engineering. None of the other China sourced connectors will have it and I have made sure of that.

My reasons for buying separate screens and APIMs are above.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I am definitely doing this upgrade but maybe later on since my tomtop is still currently working. saving this for future. quick question if i have a base model am i able to install a premium control panel.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am definitely doing this upgrade but maybe later on since my tomtop is still currently working. saving this for future. quick question if i have a base model am i able to install a premium control panel.
Yes, you have to.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got a screen/APIM from an F150 for $300 shipped. If anybody is interested I have another yard that has a screen/apim for $250 out of a 2017 Mustang, it has a small scratch in the top right side, but it looks like you might be able to clean it up. Hard to explain but it looks like material transfer scuff vs a scratch in the screen. PM me and I'll give the guys information.

soundfx007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt pp
Im friends with the guy that owns the mustang parts farm. Hes got several sync3 mustangs there. He let me go pull a system from a car myself. I got the apim, screen, cd unit, and the sync 3 hub. Its nice to be able to get everything you need from one car. I may can help someone get first shot to buy those parts.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.