Sync 3 daylight saving

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
My sync 3 (v3.4 20136) automatically changed the clock for daylight saving this week - did anybody else's ?

It always adjusts for time zone changes but I have never known it adjust for daylight saving. I did use the sat nav straight away on Sunday morning which may have done it ? The GPS is always active on the home screen anyway but maybe putting in a route did it ?
Sponsored

Len

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
In the States, DST does not begin until this weekend, so we’ll know more then. I assume it will make the adjustment.

s1ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My sync 3 (v3.4 20136) automatically changed the clock for daylight saving this week - did anybody else's ?

It always adjusts for time zone changes but I have never known it adjust for daylight saving. I did use the sat nav straight away on Sunday morning which may have done it ? The GPS is always active on the home screen anyway but maybe putting in a route did it ?
it did on mine as expected

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine didn't. I had to change it manually.
But that's probably my fault, because my modem and 4G antenna are disconnected. I guess it needs an internet connection to know when to adjust for DST.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mine didn't. I had to change it manually.
But that's probably my fault, because my modem and 4G antenna are disconnected. I guess it needs an internet connection to know when to adjust for DST.
Mine does not have a built in modem as it is a 2019 car.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In that case I wonder how it knows when to change, since there isn't a universal rule for all countries. Computers do it by sending periodic queries to a server (e.g. time.euro.apple.com in the case of European Macs).
Is wi-fi turned on in your Sync? Maybe it syncs with a time server when it's within the range of your home router?

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
In that case I wonder how it knows when to change, since there isn't a universal rule for all countries. Computers do it by sending periodic queries to a server (e.g. time.euro.apple.com in the case of European Macs).
Is wi-fi turned on in your Sync? Maybe it syncs with a time server when it's within the range of your home router?
There is a GPS time sync setting in sync 3 v3.4 so it must use GPS to get the time.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The GPS delivers the coordinated universal time, which Sync then adjusts for the local time zone. But it doesn't account for DST, which depends on local regulations and is not known by the satellites.
Short of having a list of all countries and their particular time changing dates included with the software, or pinging a time server which does have such a list, there's no way for it to know that.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It may have been an option in 2019. I believe it was only in 2020 that they started forcing it upon us.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
never updates its self despite there being a time signal broadcast on radio for it to sync to if ford could be bothered to use it. there's even an option for it in the menu "automatically update BST over air" something like that it just isn't implemented.

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Well, mine doesn't have the modem and doesn't connect to my home WiFi (I was away from home this weekend anyway when the clocks changed) so fascinating how it managed it. I think later 2019 cars had the modem.

As I say none of the previous cars I have had with Sync 3 have managed it (including my wife's Kuga)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My Kia without GPS updates no problem. On the odd occasion it hasn’t done it when I first get in, Ive just switched radio station and then it does. I assumed it must get it from the RDS signal ?

WD :like:

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Having read a bit further the GPS time signal is UTC as said by Vlad above and then the car system applies the correction based on the car location (from GPS) and applies a correction to give the time for the region you are in. The DST setting can also be applied based on a table of dates. Maybe this has been introduced in an update, but unfortunately there is no way of confirming this until next Spring ! Watch this space to see if it goes forward in March !
Sponsored