Switched from Coupe to a Convertible Impressions

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
But the older guy in front of me WITH A PONYTAIL was in a stock 03 Cobra vert...and was slinging it through the turns fast enough that I wouldn't dream of waving for a pass, ponytail just flapping in the breeze. When we got to the other end and everyone got out to high-five...I was so jealous of the smile on his face. I had never had driven a convertible at that point in my life but even then I just "got it".

029.jpg
030.jpg
I don't have a ponytail and never did, but, yeah. Old guy in an 03 Cobra convertible blasting away with the top down. Or, as I'd tell a neighbor with a yellow C6 Vette, "You known only psychotic people drive yellow cars, right?"
Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
My last mustang was an 04 KenneBell Cobra coupe. I loved that car and drove it daily for 8 years. I let it go in 2012. I spent lots of time at the dragstrip, autoX, and trackdays. I still miss it. But even when the weather is rotten, like, now...I am thinking I want to get in the vert and just go for a ride. For me anyway, these cars are just immersive. It's this awesome combo of a 60's muscle-car (used to have a 68 Camaro with a 454) with modern manners, handling, and luxury.

Fifteen years ago I was out on The Tail of the Dragon with the local Cobra club with several Terminators. I was running the KB at the time, fully braced up race suspension, race tires, wings, splitter, etc. The car was a monster. But the older guy in front of me WITH A PONYTAIL was in a stock 03 Cobra vert...and was slinging it through the turns fast enough that I wouldn't dream of waving for a pass, ponytail just flapping in the breeze. When we got to the other end and everyone got out to high-five...I was so jealous of the smile on his face. I had never had driven a convertible at that point in my life but even then I just "got it".

Even when up, the vert top just increases the sensory excitement due to the sounds...it feels closer to the world. With the top down, driving it becomes an adventure--not because of danger but because the world becomes so much bigger...if you are into boating, you know what I mean. And lord the exhaust note. I knew when I went vert I was giving up a measure of performance potential...but "couped" in with a little more top end performance just doesn't outweigh the magic of the vert. If I could swing both, I would want a 350 or 500, too. But having driven the 500 of its day (the Termi was 700RWHP/TQ), I know that I'd still be in the vert every chance I had!
029.jpg
030.jpg

Very well stated.......my feelings exactly!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I also feel that-a-way about Manual Transmissions......MORE CONNECTED to the overall driving experience!!:like:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I haven't had a coupe in many, many years. So, I can't really say how my Mustang convertible compares. But, in comparison to other convertibles I have owned, it's kind of in the middle. It has a very nice ride, but with a little more cowl flex than I would like to see. Performance is decent and the Coyote engine makes nice noises. The 10 speed automatic is outstanding. The biggest negative is it is big and heavy. The biggest positive is my wife loves it... she has refused to ride in some of my previous convertibles.

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
...and the reverb you get beneath an overpass...

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Just did the opposite... traded in my 2015 GT Prem Vert for a 2019 GT Premium Coupe. Loved the vert, but have some tinnitus issues that get seriously triggered/amplified now driving with the top down at anything over 40mph. I'll miss it, but the 19 with the A10 is a beast, and I love how quiet it can be with the active exhaust. It's really nice to be able to be that quiet when I need to, and now I'm sounding like an old man... lol

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Just did the opposite... traded in my 2015 GT Prem Vert for a 2019 GT Premium Coupe. Loved the vert, but have some tinnitus issues that get seriously triggered/amplified now driving with the top down at anything over 40mph. I'll miss it, but the 19 with the A10 is a beast, and I love how quiet it can be with the active exhaust. It's really nice to be able to be that quiet when I need to, and now I'm sounding like an old man... lol
GOOD Ear Plugs......$7.99.......problem solved!!:)

Just kidding of course but I DO NOT ENVY YOU CLEANING THAT BACK WINDOW!!:shock: I tried for 3+ years in my 2014 coupe with ZERO LUCK!!:curse:

Otherwise enjoy your new BEAST!!:thumbsup:

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
It has been 5 months since i traded in my 2016 GT Coupe for a 2017 GT Convertible. I wanted to share my thoughts and impressions for anyone who might be contemplating the move.

1. Drive-ability- for some reason the convertible just seems easier to drive. The car handles better, easier to shift and more comfortable with around town, in traffic driving. My coupe always seemed stiff even though it was not a PP model. I did do some more aggressive mods in terms on suspension, but I did not expect this type of difference. My daughter has driven both and said the same thing. She was never totally comfortable in the coupe.
The bracing and under body is so well done that at times I cannot really tell that I am driving a convertible in terms of body roll, handling, etc... more on that later.
2. Driving Experience (Fun Factor)- The first time I drove it with the top down I knew that this is what I wanted. The top down experience is unmatched. There is something about the open air, the sense of sight, sound, smell, feel of the wind etc. The best driving experience is late in the day, just before sunset on a warm 70-80 degree day that is unmatched. Hearing the exhaust has been a big plus as well. I initially was worried that the Corsa Sport exhaust would be too loud for a vert, but it works perfectly for me. Even the stock exhaust would be acceptable for most with the top down.
3. Appearance- I have to admit that the convertible just does not have the same "sexy/mean" look as the coupe. Top down I really think the vert looks killer. Top up it's just "ok" for me. I don't know if I will ever really like the top up look that much. I wished Ford would have contoured the roof line closer to the coupe standards (similar to the Camaro convertible). The top also has a lot of blemishes and wrinkles that form with use; being OCD I have to just adjust my expectations and be ok with it.
4. Performance- As I mentioned above, most of the time I do not see or feel any difference between the coupe and convertible. It's plenty fast for me. I will most likely be adding either the Ford Power Pack 2 or the 2018 Intake Manifold and a Lund Tune. I cannot see myself supercharging this car. I added BMR lowering springs which enhanced the handling significantly...I can whip through a round about without even thinking about body roll
5. Reliability- I've had just 2 minor issues. The rear side glass panel was scratched from some object within the chamber and the passenger side rear window would not fully close with the top down. Both of these problems were resolved by the local dealership under warranty.
6. Visibility/Interior- top down no issue with this. With the top up the rear window is smaller than the coupe, but very acceptable. The rest of the view is similar to the coupe although the taller roof line does increase the sense of spaciousness and less of a confined feel. I am not a tall guy (5'7") but definitely appreciate the extra room. I am a bit claustrophobic- not that the coupe was ever an issue, but the vert feels roomier. The California Special seats with the leather/alcantara inserts has been a big hit with everyone. They hug you in the seat and are not as sloppy as the premium pkg leather seats. For some reason I was never comfortable in them as I tended to slide around more.
6. Gas Mileage- I think my mileage is a little less than the coupe due to the body design, driving with the top down creates more drag etc. But it's livable.

I hope this helps anyone out there looking to make a similar decision. I am in no way putting down the coupe, I did enjoy my 2016. I am actually thinking I will pick one up again down the road for a different purpose (Track), but for now for what I wanted in terms of a fun summer driving experience that all of the family could enjoy this has been a hit.
Hey Lorne34, thanks for taking the time to type this up and I really appreciate your perspective on it. I've always loved convertibles. My 2016 GT ragtop is my third and my favorite for a number of reasons. I'm going to offer my impressions as a point by point response to what you offered here just for fun! ;-)

1. Driveability - I agree the convertible is easy to drive. I'm not sure I see that it handles better than the hard top? The soft top is slightly heavier and not as stiff so I wonder about that part but I don't push my car to anything close to it's capabilities so it's not an issue for me anyway. I've driven one fastback S550 and one other convertible S550 before I bought mine. Honestly, I thought they felt pretty much the same. The other convertible was a V6 rental and I was surprised at how stiff it's ride was. My GT is much softer. Kinda makes me think Ford is using the same spring rates on the V6 and GT and since the V8 engine is much heavier, that accounts for the difference?

2. Driving Experience (Fun Factor) - TOTALLY agree with you on that one. As I said at the start, my Mustang is my third convertible and by far the best one, "for me!" I'm 6'3" and I fit in this car like I never did in the other two. My first was an '88 Chrysler LeBaron. As far as how I fit in it was concerned, it was Ok but it was a wet noodle with regards to chassis stiffness. It twisted and rattled with every bump in the road. I had a hard time keeping the rear view mirror mounting puck glued to the windshield because the car's chassis would twist over uneven pavement, flexing the windshield, and the glue would let go. I glued it back a half dozen times myself until one day the puck fell off and took part of the glass with it and I had to have the windshield replaced. My second convertible was a 2004 Honda S2000. Now that was a fine automobile and rock solid in every way. It was a ton of fun to drive but as you might imagine, kind of tight to sit in. It actually wasn't that bad once I was in it but getting in and out could be a pain. My Mustang just fits all the way around. Plenty of room for someone my size, the chassis is plenty stiff, not perfect, but more than acceptable and top down weather protection is by far the best I've experienced. I think the weather part is mostly because the Mustang is physically the largest ragtop I've owned but that's Ok by me!

3. Appearance - I've heard a number of folks make similar comments and I get where their coming from but I'm not sure I agree. I'll offer a minor correction on the terminology you're using. At the beginning of your post, you referred to the body styles as "couple" and "convertible." The hard top S550 isn't a "coupe," it's a "fastback." The '60's vintage Mustangs were sold in three body styles. Coupe, fastback, and convertible. Current model Mustangs are definitely fastbacks. The current model Mustang convertibles emulate the coupe body style. I agree, the fastback looks better but I never thought the couple looked bad. I agree with your reference to the Camaro convertible. Chevy did a pretty good job of making their convertible roof line emulate the fastback's design with the top up but they did it at the expense of almost 3/4 of the cars trunk space when the top is down. That's a trade off that's not acceptable to me. All things considered, I've always thought Ford did a pretty good job of compromising on the "top up" look of the S550 convertible Mustangs and I've never seen a convertible car yet that didn't look pretty good with the top down!

4, Performance - all I can say on that is, my 2016 box stock GT is the strongest car I've ever owned. I have no wish or need to make it stronger. To date, the only "mod" I've done to the car is a set of struts under to hood so I don't have to use that support rod when I open the hood to check the oil. I've considered an H pipe resonator delete but haven't done that yet. I've gotten conflicting opinions on how much louder it makes the car. While I wouldn't mind a "little" more volume from the exhaust, I don't want it to be what "I" consider obnoxious. If I could ever find someone with this mod and the stock mufflers so I could hear for myself exactly what it sounds like, then I could make a decision but until that time, I'll just leave it stock instead of spending the money and "then" finding out it's too loud for my taste.

5. Reliability - I bought my car used from Carmax. It was 17 months old with 6610 miles on it. It's out of warranty now but I did use the warranty twice. Once for an AC compressor and I had both rear wheel bearings replaced. Other than that, no significant problems.

6. Visibiilty/Interior - gotta agree with you there. Of the convertibles I've owned, my Mustang is pretty darned good. It's not quite up to the visibility levels as the fastback but pretty darned close. My car has the leather interior and, for me, it's proven to be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned. You mentioned the alcantara seats. I've seen them before, and really like the look, but I've never had the chance to sit in one yet. Then again, I'm a somewhat bigger guy than you and probably fill out the leather seats more than you so I've not had the "sliding around" issues that you mentioned.

7. Gas Mileage - I know no one buys a GT Mustang for gas mileage but I have to say, I've been VERY pleased with the fuel economy mine has returned. I agree the convertible probably won't match the fastback but it's still pretty darned good. I took a 3500 mile road trip back in August 2018 and averaged 27.2 mpg for the trip. My high tank was 29.1, my calculations, while the computer economy readout was saying 30! I took a day long trip last Thursday through Houston, then up to Livingston, and back home south of Houston and put about 320 miles on the tank. My calculations came out to 26.2 mpg. Not bad at all for a 435 hp V8! Now, in all fairness, where I live, I rarely if ever do a pure city tank on my GT and I try not to do short trips in it so my driving style does allow my gas mileage to be a little higher than what most would consider normal for this car. Whatever, it works for me!

Last edited:

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Hey Lorne34, thanks for taking the time to type this up and I really appreciate your perspective on it. I've always loved convertibles. My 2016 GT ragtop is my third and my favorite for a number of reasons. I'm going to offer my impressions as a point by point response to what you offered here just for fun! ;-)

1. Driveability - I agree the convertible is easy to drive. I'm not sure I see that it handles better than the hard top? The soft top is slightly heavier and not as stiff so I wonder about that part but I don't push my car to anything close to it's capabilities so it's not an issue for me anyway. I've driven one fastback S550 and one other convertible S550 before I bought mine. Honestly, I thought they felt pretty much the same. The other convertible was a V6 rental and I was surprised at how stiff it's ride was. My GT is much softer. Kinda makes me think Ford is using the same spring rates on the V6 and GT and since the V8 engine is much heavier, that accounts for the difference?

2. Driving Experience (Fun Factor) - TOTALLY agree with you on that one. As I said at the start, my Mustang is my third convertible and by far the best one, "for me!" I'm 6'3" and I fit in this car like I never did in the other two. My first was an '88 Chrysler LeBaron. As far as how I fit in it was concerned, it was Ok but it was a wet noodle with regards to chassis stiffness. It twisted and rattled with every bump in the road. I had a hard time keeping the rear view mirror mounting puck glued to the windshield because the car's chassis would twist over uneven pavement, flexing the windshield, and the glue would let go. I glued it back a half dozen times myself until one day the puck fell off and took part of the glass with it and I had to have the windshield replaced. My second convertible was a 2004 Honda S2000. Now that was a fine automobile and rock solid in every way. It was a ton of fun to drive but as you might imagine, kind of tight to sit in. It actually wasn't that bad once I was in it but getting in and out could be a pain. My Mustang just fits all the way around. Plenty of room for someone my size, the chassis is plenty stiff, not perfect, but more than acceptable and top down weather protection is by far the best I've experienced. I think the weather part is mostly because the Mustang is physically the largest ragtop I've owned but that's Ok by me!

3. Appearance - I've heard a number of folks make similar comments and I get where their coming from but I'm not sure I agree. I'll offer a minor correction on the terminology you're using. At the beginning of your post, you referred to the body styles as "couple" and "convertible." The hard top S550 isn't a "coupe," it's a "fastback." The '60's vintage Mustangs were sold in three body styles. Coupe, fastback, and convertible. Current model Mustangs are definitely fastbacks. The current model Mustang convertibles emulate the coupe body style. I agree, the fastback looks better but I never thought the couple looked bad. I agree with your reference to the Camaro convertible. Chevy did a pretty good job of making their convertible roof line emulate the fastback's design with the top up but they did it at the expense of almost 3/4 of the cars trunk space when the top is down. That's a trade off that's not acceptable to me. All things considered, I've always thought Ford did a pretty good job of compromising on the "top up" look of the S550 convertible Mustangs and I've never seen a convertible car yet that didn't look pretty good with the top down!

4, Performance - all I can say on that is, my 2016 box stock GT is the strongest car I've ever owned. I have no wish or need to make it stronger. To date, the only "mod" I've done to the car is a set of struts under to hood so I don't have to use that support rod when I open the hood to check the oil. I've considered an H pipe resonator delete but haven't done that yet. I've gotten conflicting opinions on how much louder it makes the car. While I wouldn't mind a "little" more volume from the exhaust, I don't want it to be what "I" consider obnoxious. If I could ever find someone with this mod and the stock mufflers so I could hear for myself exactly what it sounds like, then I could make a decision but until that time, I'll just leave it stock instead of spending the money and "then" finding out it's too loud for my taste.

5. Reliability - I bought my car used from Carmax. It was 17 months old with 6610 miles on it. It's out of warranty now but I did use the warranty twice. Once for an AC compressor and I had both rear wheel bearings replaced. Other than that, no significant problems.

6. Visibiilty/Interior - gotta agree with you there. Of the convertibles I've owned, my Mustang is pretty darned good. It's not quite up to the visibility levels as the fastback but pretty darned close. My car has the leather interior and, for me, it's proven to be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned. You mentioned the alcantara seats. I've seen them before, and really like the look, but I've never had the chance to sit in one yet. Then again, I'm a somewhat bigger guy than you and probably fill out the leather seats more than you so I've not had the "sliding around" issues that you mentioned.

7. Gas Mileage - I know no one buys a GT Mustang for gas mileage but I have to say, I've been VERY pleased with the fuel economy mine has returned. I agree the convertible probably won't match the fastback but it's still pretty darned good. I took a 3500 mile road trip back in August 2018 and averaged 27.2 mpg for the trip. My high tank was 29.1, my calculations, while the computer economy readout was saying 30! I took a day long trip last Thursday through Houston, then up to Livingston, and back home south of Houston and put about 320 miles on the tank. My calculations came out to 26.2 mpg. Not bad at all for a 435 hp V8! Now, in all fairness, where I live, I rarely if ever do a pure city tank on my GT and I try not to do short trips in it so my driving style does allow my gas mileage to be a little higher than what most would consider normal for this car. Whatever, it works for me!
Check out the Ford Borla Touring bolt on exhaust. I found a like new set for only $350

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
My last mustang was an 04 KenneBell Cobra coupe. I loved that car and drove it daily for 8 years. I let it go in 2012. I spent lots of time at the dragstrip, autoX, and trackdays. I still miss it. But even when the weather is rotten, like, now...I am thinking I want to get in the vert and just go for a ride. For me anyway, these cars are just immersive. It's this awesome combo of a 60's muscle-car (used to have a 68 Camaro with a 454) with modern manners, handling, and luxury.

Fifteen years ago I was out on The Tail of the Dragon with the local Cobra club with several Terminators. I was running the KB at the time, fully braced up race suspension, race tires, wings, splitter, etc. The car was a monster. But the older guy in front of me WITH A PONYTAIL was in a stock 03 Cobra vert...and was slinging it through the turns fast enough that I wouldn't dream of waving for a pass, ponytail just flapping in the breeze. When we got to the other end and everyone got out to high-five...I was so jealous of the smile on his face. I had never had driven a convertible at that point in my life but even then I just "got it".

Even when up, the vert top just increases the sensory excitement due to the sounds...it feels closer to the world. With the top down, driving it becomes an adventure--not because of danger but because the world becomes so much bigger...if you are into boating, you know what I mean. And lord the exhaust note. I knew when I went vert I was giving up a measure of performance potential...but "couped" in with a little more top end performance just doesn't outweigh the magic of the vert. If I could swing both, I would want a 350 or 500, too. But having driven the 500 of its day (the Termi was 700RWHP/TQ), I know that I'd still be in the vert every chance I had!
029.jpg
030.jpg
My latest mustang is a Vert. I sorta like em for the sole fact that I don’t have that itch I do with my coupes that I need em faster and Meaner. Mods have no end, when you do... you get another mustang or trade up (repeating itself). For me and verts...I keep it as a cruiser and it’s just that. So I guess what I am saying is I know exactly where that gentleman is coming from.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
The '60's vintage Mustangs were sold in three body styles. Coupe, fastback, and convertible.
Actually the Mustang started as coupe (or hardtop), convertible and 2+2.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the kind words. I want everyone to know that I did not switch from my Convertible back to a coupe because I didn't enjoy it. I just found the window for truly enjoying the vert is very small in Wisconsin. I read a post by a guy who retired in Florida and purchase a convertible for the first time- best decision he ever made and he had driven a lot of performance cars. I definitely see a convertible in my life sometime in the future, but last year was very poor weather for a vert and we found ourselves grinning and bearing it at times, even with the wind restrictor. Maybe i'm getting old, but that was my experience. I can see why people enjoy them down in the warm weather states.. the experience can be heavenly at times. My plan is to someday retire to a warm weather state.
For me, the convertible was not a lot of fun driving with the top up, as the black material and the small window in the back along with the extended A pillars on each side of the rear blind spot area made it much more difficult to see out of. I noticed that right away with my new GT350 that visibility is overall much better. I can see why so many guys, even in cooler states are driving it with the top down even in 40 degree weather. Derek I salute you!
The GT350 has been on my bucket list for 5 years now and I got an opportunity/window to get one, so I decided to make the switch. I really respect the convertible community on this forum and have established a lot of great friendships. I see myself with the pony tail in a vert cruising down the tail of the dragon in about 10 years from now.... LOL
One last comment: There are 2 items that I would definitely get when I am shopping for another convertible some day, and that is a heated steering wheel and the active exhaust. No matter how i directed the heat vents on colder days I could not keep my hands warm. I had a pair of leather insulated gloves on hand for those occasions.
The stock exhaust on the 2015-17 just does not let you enjoy the coyote engine and the visceral/audio experience. I went with the Corsa (sport) which was fantastic, but there were those times where I just wanted to turn off the exhaust and cruise with the radio on and I could never strike that balance with the after market exhausts.
Enjoy your ride, these are all fantastic cars....

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the kind words. I want everyone to know that I did not switch from my Convertible back to a coupe because I didn't enjoy it. I just found the window for truly enjoying the vert is very small in Wisconsin. I read a post by a guy who retired in Florida and purchase a convertible for the first time- best decision he ever made and he had driven a lot of performance cars. I definitely see a convertible in my life sometime in the future, but last year was very poor weather for a vert and we found ourselves grinning and bearing it at times, even with the wind restrictor. Maybe i'm getting old, but that was my experience. I can see why people enjoy them down in the warm weather states.. the experience can be heavenly at times. My plan is to someday retire to a warm weather state.
For me, the convertible was not a lot of fun driving with the top up, as the black material and the small window in the back along with the extended A pillars on each side of the rear blind spot area made it much more difficult to see out of. I noticed that right away with my new GT350 that visibility is overall much better. I can see why so many guys, even in cooler states are driving it with the top down even in 40 degree weather. Derek I salute you!
The GT350 has been on my bucket list for 5 years now and I got an opportunity/window to get one, so I decided to make the switch. I really respect the convertible community on this forum and have established a lot of great friendships. I see myself with the pony tail in a vert cruising down the tail of the dragon in about 10 years from now.... LOL
One last comment: There are 2 items that I would definitely get when I am shopping for another convertible some day, and that is a heated steering wheel and the active exhaust. No matter how i directed the heat vents on colder days I could not keep my hands warm. I had a pair of leather insulated gloves on hand for those occasions.
The stock exhaust on the 2015-17 just does not let you enjoy the coyote engine and the visceral/audio experience. I went with the Corsa (sport) which was fantastic, but there were those times where I just wanted to turn off the exhaust and cruise with the radio on and I could never strike that balance with the after market exhausts.
I have lived in Wisconsin most of my life and have owned many convertibles. I average about 6 months of top down driving per year, some years are better, 2019 was the worst in a long time. But, you will find convertibles are less popular in warm weather states than you think... too much hot sun beating down on you.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I hear you on not enjoyable with the top up, but for me it’s a mental thing. It’s a convertible, so the top is “supposed” to be down. Where I live....way out in eastern Canada, we have very harsh winters, but for the most part our summers have a fair number of sunny days and cool evenings. Most of my driving is Top Down. I have driven in just above 40 degree weather with the top down and it’s not comfortable. May as well be driving a snow mobile.:)

As for the exhaust, I changed mine twice. I understand the issue of not being able to switch it. off. But I bought an AWE axle back setup and when crushing or not driving with spirit, it’s very close to stock. (Quite happy with it overall) If I was to sell or trade tomoro, I would still buy a vert. I wish 350’s came in a vert.... my decision would then be easy...:rockon:

Cheers Lorne
Enjoy the ride. :sunglasses::like:

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I had a gap in between but I went from a 911TT hardtop manual to a 2019 Automatic GT convertible. I absolutely love the car. As others have said it is almost more of a state-of-mind car than a pure performance comparison.

The 911 handled better, was as quick if not quicker, way higher top speed, looked great from every direction (subjective) and the build quality was bullet proof. The ride was harsher, I was lower to the ground, the back seats were worthless and its amazing how many people instantly consider you a prick if you drive a Porsche.

The Mustang convertible is very comfortable to drive, being 5'9" I can push my seat far enough forward that 2 adults can sit rather comfortably in back seats for at least a half hour drive. My kids fit fine. Its luxurious while being cool, sporty without being pretentious. I too think the fastback looks better no matter the color but some color convertibles do look better than others and to me they all look great with the top down. Overall the black top works well and provides more headroom with the top up. Put the top down and its even when it comes to looks.

Someone else mentioned how enjoyable it is to just cruise around with the top down, it is a different type of motoring. For me this car is more than I will ever need whether it be acceleration or handling. Yes it could do better at both but I just don't go to the track that often anymore and now I most likely won't until I get that 350 or 500 down the line. Its the same with the old muscle car convertibles, not as stiff, heavier, blah blah blah. All true but to me I rather be cruising slower in a convertible than trying to proof how fast my car is stop light to stop light. Believe me its always fun to punch the car but there will always be a car that is faster or a car with a better driver. I have the 3.55s and active exhaust, helps a little with the visceral enjoyment of the car but I test drove some 3.15 geared cars without active exhaust and there wasn't that much of a difference.

I miss the manual but not all the time, it became a pain in heavy traffic and in Chicago that is often. As for top down enjoyment, I drove the car a few times this last December with the top down. I never thought I'd get a heating steering wheel but now that I have one I'm not sure I'll ever get a car that doesn't. Between the aerodynamics of the windshield, heated seats and steering wheel you can enjoy this car down to a much lower temperature. And with cooled seats and AC blowing you can enjoy it hotter than most as well. Yes the season is shorter up north but the January through March hiatus just makes you appreciate the car that much more when you do drive it.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

Funny, my first convertible was a '95 LeBaron. Had a lot of fun in it and my son owns it now. I was seriously considering an S2000 but ended up getting a Harley Electra Glide instead. Spent a lot of time driving pick ups and SUVs mostly because it's hard to pull a 21' boat with a bike or vert...
When I decided to get another convertible the list was pretty darn short, basically the Mustang. Ended up with an '18 EcoBoost that's currently my DD. We've even taken it on a couple of 500 mile road trips and it's extremely comfortable with trunk space for luggage and really good fuel mileage. Living in Atlanta the top didn't even go up for the first 5 months.
Thanks for both your and the OPs write ups. They really only enforce my feelings when I see a "coupe" of "That's a nice car but it's not a convertible."
Sponsored