Sponsored

sway bar settings help

Dirtcrazy04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt performance package
entire setup listed below

So im running the eibach pro kit with adjustable sway bars and right now they are set in the middle position. At my last track day and autocross event my car has a slight push in tight corners. Which would be the best adjustment to make to the sway bars loosen the front end or tighten the rear. I tried adjusting air pressures but it did not help

2016 pp GT
Eibach pro kit
steeda strut tower
nitto 555 g2 305/30/20 and 275/30/20 running between 33 to 36 psi
Sponsored

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
Your mention of "push" is the opposite of "loosen the front / tighten the rear"

Push, usually means understeer, in which case you want the rear to rotate more, or the front to bite more.

If it is pushing, I would either stiffen the rear bar, or soften the front bar. For Autocross, I think I would soften the front bar first, try it and if you need more, then stiffen the rear bar. Be careful with high speed turns with that setup because the rear will likely be looser than before. You might want to change it back for street driving.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In tight corners (especially autocross tight corners), its usually going to push if you come in too fast. If you're happy with the balance in faster corners you could leave it alone and try trail braking to get the car to rotate, slowing down on corner entry, and hitting a later apex. That's probably your issue, just overdriving your front tires by asking too much.

If you do make a change, you're correct that tightening the rear will get it to rotate more, or loosening the front will give the front end a bit more grip. Both have a similar effect. All things being equal, I'd start by loosening things.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you do make a change, you're correct that tightening the rear will get it to rotate more, or loosening the front will give the front end a bit more grip. Both have a similar effect. All things being equal, I'd start by loosening things.

Not according to 100 years of racing terminology.

Loose = less grip, more rotation
Tight = push, still less grip (at the opposite end)

I think you are mixing lose & tight up with soft and stiff.

But your driving advice is spot on.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Not according to 100 years of racing terminology.

Loose = less grip, more rotation
Tight = push, still less grip (at the opposite end)

I think you are mixing lose & tight up with soft and stiff.

But your driving advice is spot on.
Yeah, that was rushed. What I meant was tighter (stiffer) rear swaybar versus looser (less stiff) front swaybar. Generally tight and loose are used for describing car dynamics, so apologies.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dirtcrazy04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really havnt had the car on a track with bigger sweeping turns yet. Ive only ran at talladega grand prix and some autox events. Ive only done a few events so yeah it could be my driving. I still have alot to learn

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Have you made any changes to the car? If it's a stock PP it's going to push simply because of the difference in front/rear tire sizes. When stock, my car pushed slightly and it was especially sensitive to going into corners too hard. Get the front end hooked up on entry and you'll find the push goes away.

OP
OP

Dirtcrazy04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i listed the mods that have been done in the original post. And yeah i was curious if that was effecting it but i did go with a wider front tire 275/30/20 ive even thought about swapping to a 285 up front

OP
OP

Dirtcrazy04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What kind of air pressure splits do you guys run from front and rear.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dirtcrazy04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks ill give that a try

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I really havnt had the car on a track with bigger sweeping turns yet. Ive only ran at talladega grand prix and some autox events. Ive only done a few events so yeah it could be my driving. I still have alot to learn

Turn 1 and 4 (?) at TGPR are pretty big sweepers. Though T1 is not a great place to push the limits, and T4 has some camber change that makes it tricky. For a simple as TGPR is (essentially a short race track crammed into an old corn field), it is amazing how challenging and unusual many of the corners are. It's a great learning track.
Sponsored