suspension mods without lowering?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Oh yeah, and don’t forget to upgrade the half shafts if you’re going to be doing any serious launches. At least put the GT350 shafts in. For around $400, you can’t beat that price.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Getting rid of wheel hop is a huge improvement and it will help prevent parts breakage.
OP never said or asked a single thing about wheel hop. He's asking for a smoother ride and to settle the rear end of the car down.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
...Don't be tempted to bolt on mucho $ worth of shiny stuff you'll never get any benefit from on a DD with stock springs.

If you want to start somewhere just fix the most obvious things. Get some front and rear PP1 springs and front struts, and fit the rear with either Koni yellows/Bilstein B6/Koni Special Actives/Steeda non-adjustables.

Then rear subframe alignment bushings and a good alignment. Next BMR CB005 or Steeda Stop the Hop kit. Steeda or other rear upper shock mounts will help as will Rear Lower Control Arm bushings. As an entry DD set up that'll probably meet 90% of your needs. If you want to go further swap in a stiffer front bar and new struts of the same type you fitted to the rear.
On one hand you write "Don't be tempted to bolt on mucho $ worth of shiny stuff you'll never get any benefit from on a DD with stock springs.".....and then you proceed to tell the OP to install some stock springs and a bunch of shiny stuff.

Also, FYI, rear strut mounts don't do a thing to fix the IRS issues. They just allow the installation of AM rear shocks, nothing else. And they tend to clunk/rattle.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
OP never said or asked a single thing about wheel hop. He's asking for a smoother ride and to settle the rear end of the car down.
I’m sure many will agree that a rear end that hops and jumps is not settled by any means. It sounds like the OP intends to drive the car aggressively to some degree and if he does, those are things that help make the car a more stable platform.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
.....It sounds like the OP intends to drive the car aggressively....
The OP said he's 70 years old and is more concerned with getting in and out of the car gracefully. He said absolutely nothing about "driving the car aggressively", other than a bit of "back road" driving. He also mentioned "daily driver/grocery getter".

You're telling him what YOU would do, rather than listening to him. His screen name is geezer stang fer chrissakes!!!!

OP, you need to tell us about your car before we can be of any further help. We need to know what options are on your car.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
[QUOTE="KingKona, post: 3554722, member: 64899"

You're telling him what YOU would do, rather than listening to him. His screen name is geezer stang fer chrissakes!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Exactly, because the OP did ask what suspension mods would be most effective for a "daily driver/grocery getter/backroads car" with out lowering the car?

Yes, I did share my personal experience with him. I would like to think that he would welcome as many responses as possible, so that he can arm himself with as much information as possible and then decide what mods he would or wouldn’t like to perform to his car. There are many good answers given already in this thread, but unless I missed it, I don’t see any helpful contribution from you in this thread, but rather controversy instead.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Assuming no spring changes, my first move would be improved tires and alignment (which would require camber plates). After that, I'd install Bilstein shocks/struts and be done with chassis work. Those few changes will really wake it up.

OP
OP
geezer stang

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
What specifically do you want to improve? Don't be tempted to bolt on mucho $ worth of shiny stuff you'll never get any benefit from on a DD with stock springs.

If you want to start somewhere just fix the most obvious things. Get some front and rear PP1 springs and front struts, and fit the rear with either Koni yellows/Bilstein B6/Koni Special Actives/Steeda non-adjustables.

Then rear subframe alignment bushings and a good alignment. Next BMR CB005 or Steeda Stop the Hop kit. Steeda or other rear upper shock mounts will help as will Rear Lower Control Arm bushings. As an entry DD set up that'll probably meet 90% of your needs. If you want to go further swap in a stiffer front bar and new struts of the same type you fitted to the rear.
thanks for the info...this is my 3rd mustang(83 gt,17 gt,21 gt)i've done a little autocross,but my focus now is"safe/sane backroad" type stuff.i'm currently on "pp-1" wheels/tires.

OP
OP
geezer stang

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
The OP said he's 70 years old and is more concerned with getting in and out of the car gracefully. He said absolutely nothing about "driving the car aggressively", other than a bit of "back road" driving. He also mentioned "daily driver/grocery getter".

OP, you need to tell us about your car before we can be of any further help. We need to know what options are on your car.
21 base gt,A-10 trans,3:31 rears,pp-1 wheels,michelin AS3+ tires(255-40-19/275-40-19)BMR jacking rails,ford performance strut tower brace,air/oil separator,borla (fp)sport axle-backs

OP
OP
geezer stang

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
What specifically do you want to improve? Don't be tempted to bolt on mucho $ worth of shiny stuff you'll never get any benefit from on a DD with stock springs.

thanks..good info!

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Some good aftermarket (stiffer) shocks and a set of stiffer swaybars can be an awesome handling upgrade w/o any need for lowering springs.

The Steeda ProActions Adjustables or Koni Yellow Adjustables pair really nicely with stock springs and can actually improve the ride. The benefit of adjustable shocks is you can change from soft to firm for weekend drives, and leave them on soft for grocery-getting duty.
Let me know if I can help assist with any Steeda-related Items. Might be a nice ride to get them installed at our Valdosta facility - can have an A - B comparison as you ride back in comfort :)

Let me know if I can help assist at tim @ steeda

TJ

Last edited:

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I use my whip daily to drive to the office (when I go) or to the GFs house or the beach or the grocery store blah blah blah.

0.5" Steeda Drop just to close that wheel gap a little bit doesn't make ANY difference in "OMG that speedbump is going to kill me". Next on the list is the Stop the Hop and then Jack Rails.
Can you post some pics of your ride?

OP
OP
geezer stang

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
Let me know if I can help assist with any Steeda related Items. Might be a nice ride to get them installed at our Valdosta facility - can have an A - B comparrison as you right back in comfort :)

Let me know if I can help assist at tim @ steeda

TJ
thank you steeda...i might just take that offer!

OP
OP
geezer stang

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base

"what specifically do you want to improve?"...first off,thanks for your input.i'd like to go beyond the "basic handeling",better dampening,more body/sway control,solid deployment of the IRS under power...a good handeling street car that's a pleasure to drive in a safe,but spirited manner,again,thanks for your help!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
what suspension mods would be most effective for a "daily driver/grocery getter/backroads car" with out lowering the car? my 21 base gt(A-10)currently had "FPR strut tower brace and BMR jacking rails.i've sat in lowered cars,and at 70 yrs old..it's not a pretty sight to see me try and get in/out of one,appreciate your advice and comments.

These are Steeda suspension parts that will give you what you're looking for and are reasonably priced.

IMG_0107 2.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

DSC_0231.JPG

IMG_0164.jpeg
Sponsored