Sponsored

Suspension advice needed

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hey guys,
I'm having a bunch of suspension goodies installed on my 2015 GT in early June.
Here is the list:
-FR cowl brace and strut tower brace
-FR Track Handling Pack
-BMR CB005
-Steeda dowels for CB005
-BMR BK051
-Steeda RLCA Bearings

The question is this, I've been seeing a lot of positive feedback about the Steeda rear shock mounts recently, and since I'm stiffening up the IRS considerably, will the Steeda mounts make much difference? Another option is to buy a set of vertical links to kill any remaining wheel hop. Yet another option is camber adjustment. It seems there are mixed feelings on whether you can get a car with the FR track pack into proper alignment without camber bolts/plates/arms etc. is this something to worry about?
Thanks for any help.

It seems like upgrading a suspension is like opening a Pandora's box! Where do you stop?!?

Oh and has anyone used Steeda bump stop kit with the FR Track shocks? They already come with new bumpers, but I'm not sure how the figment would be with Steeda bumpers or how they compare to the Ford version.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
I'm having a bunch of suspension goodies installed on my 2015 GT in early June.
Here is the list:
-FR cowl brace and strut tower brace
-FR Track Handling Pack
-BMR CB005
-Steeda dowels for CB005
-BMR BK051
-Steeda RLCA Bearings

The question is this, I've been seeing a lot of positive feedback about the Steeda rear shock mounts recently, and since I'm stiffening up the IRS considerably, will the Steeda mounts make much difference? Another option is to buy a set of vertical links to kill any remaining wheel hop. Yet another option is camber adjustment. It seems there are mixed feelings on whether you can get a car with the FR track pack into proper alignment without camber bolts/plates/arms etc. is this something to worry about?
Thanks for any help.

It seems like upgrading a suspension is like opening a Pandora's box! Where do you stop?!?

Oh and has anyone used Steeda bump stop kit with the FR Track shocks? They already come with new bumpers, but I'm not sure how the figment would be with Steeda bumpers or how they compare to the Ford version.
Definitely, definitely get the shock mounts with all those changes. They make a very significant difference.

As far as stopping, you can stop when you're happy. That's one advantage of doing things one at a time.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yes definitely get the shock mounts. I would also recommend trimming the rear bumpstops to 1.5" in total length or consider the Steeda bumpstops. Trimming the bumpstops in the rear plus the shock mounts helped my comfortability noticeably.

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The new rear shocks are pre-assembled with the Mounts installed- aren't the bump stops that Ford puts in there already the correct length? Just curious why they would need additional trimming since I'm not re-using the existing bump stops...

Yes definitely get the shock mounts. I would also recommend trimming the rear bumpstops to 1.5" in total length or consider the Steeda bumpstops. Trimming the bumpstops in the rear plus the shock mounts helped my comfortability noticeably.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The new rear shocks are pre-assembled with the Mounts installed- aren't the bump stops that Ford puts in there already the correct length? Just curious why they would need additional trimming since I'm not re-using the existing bump stops...
Cutting the bumpstops was a recommendation from someone at Steeda. He said that apparently Ford did not make them short enough.

The rear shock mounts from Ford are not as good as the Steeda ones. Read up about them.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Cutting the bumpstops was a recommendation from someone at Steeda. He said that apparently Ford did not make them short enough.

The rear shock mounts from Ford are not as good as the Steeda ones. Read up about them.
The mounts on the Ford Racing shocks are identical to the stock ones.

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Oh, I've done the research. :)
Spherical bearings, much more stout, etc.
I'm going to probably order them up in time for the install; might as well just get it done otherwise I'll keep wondering after the fact. :)
I'll post back after the install; I'm sure the difference will be night and day because the way my stock GT drives, I know that I can completely embarrass it on a winding country road with my 12 year old Honda Accord, and that just isn't right.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I've done the research. :)
Spherical bearings, much more stout, etc.
I'm going to probably order them up in time for the install; might as well just get it done otherwise I'll keep wondering after the fact. :)
I'll post back after the install; I'm sure the difference will be night and day because the way my stock GT drives, I know that I can completely embarrass it on a winding country road with my 12 year old Honda Accord, and that just isn't right.
All you're putting on, plus a wheel and tire upgrade will make it a corner carving beast. The car needs 275s to have enough tire. It's heavy.

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
All you're putting on, plus a wheel and tire upgrade will make it a corner carving beast. The car needs 275s to have enough tire. It's heavy.
That's the next upgrade, 285/325 on 19" MRR 350s
Tires will probably be Hankook Ventus v12 evo2

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I recently did everything you're planning except I haven't touched the shock mounts (yet) and I did the spherical vertical links. You might as well do the vertical links with everything else you're doing. I ended up with no creaks or rattles whatsoever. I'd say I have slightly more road noise over stock, but I often have a commute of 130-ish miles round trip btwn open highway and open rural country roads and the road noise is really negligible (to me).

After about 1500 miles, I noticed a creaking during low speed turns and moving from a stop. I checked all my suspension bolt torques with the suspension loaded. I also checked the rear axle nuts. I found one of the vertical links and the shock mounts needed additional torquing and that resolved the noise completely.

I have no wheel-hop, no floating, no rattles or weird vibes, and no regrets whatsoever on any of the mods in my sig. You will be really happy with your setup. :cheers:

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the feedback- really appreciate it.
I went ahead and ordered a set of J&M spherical vertical links (I like the red anodized look to match the BMR CB005) :)
And I also ordered up the Steeda rear shock mounts as well, so I think that together with everything else, that should button up the rear of the car quite nicely.
Will post impressions after my install in early June.
DennisP
Sponsored