Sponsored

Surging at 3100 rpms

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
I put the stock TB back on and that didn't fix it. Lund says something mechanically wrong with the car. Just so frustrated right now I don't even want to drive it.
Obviously can't do this in my case! TB is 69 twinjet so long process. Anyways, don't give up yet take it step by step. Check the sparks, injectors, vacuum leakage or at least get some other tuner to take a look @ some logs.
it's frustrating when u invest in a nearly brand new car and add so much '' Benjamins '' yet you can't drive it well!
Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Obviously can't do this in my case! TB is 69 twinjet so long process. Anyways, don't give up yet take it step by step. Check the sparks, injectors, vacuum leakage or at least get some other tuner to take a look @ some logs.
it's frustrating when u invest in a nearly brand new car and add so much '' Benjamins '' yet you can't drive it well!
I sent another log to VMP today. Mine was doing it with a stock phase 2 with the VMP 730 HP tune. Since then I put in nee NGK plugs gapped at .028, new injectors and the VMP 67 twin throttle body and a new vmp tune for that setup. Still has the same behavior.
I don’t recall the car doing this with the stock Roush tune, but I only drove the car for a week before installing the ngauge and VMP tune.

My dad told me his friends 2020 supersnake was doing the same thing the other day when he was driving it. Maybe it’s a common thing with supercharged Coyotes? My 04 Cobra is perfectly smooth while cruising.

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I sent another log to VMP today. Mine was doing it with a stock phase 2 with the VMP 730 HP tune. Since then I put in nee NGK plugs gapped at .028, new injectors and the VMP 67 twin throttle body and a new vmp tune for that setup. Still has the same behavior.
I don’t recall the car doing this with the stock Roush tune, but I only drove the car for a week before installing the ngauge and VMP tune.

My dad told me his friends 2020 supersnake was doing the same thing the other day when he was driving it. Maybe it’s a common thing with supercharged Coyotes? My 04 Cobra is perfectly smooth while cruising.
I can't disagree with you on how some of these cars with SC especially big TB's act like that. In the other hand, OEM SC cars rarely does that when having small TB's

OP
OP
2017RoushStage3

2017RoushStage3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3, 2006 Saleen SC
I can't disagree with you on how some of these cars with SC especially big TB's act like that. In the other hand, OEM SC cars rarely does that when having small TB's
Unfortunately my problem doesn't go away with the stock TB.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately my problem doesn't go away with the stock TB.
Doesn’t seem to be the issue with mine either.

Yesterday I tried a few things like cardboard behind the grill and removing the top of the intake box to see if it might be related to MAF readings. That didn’t make a difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2017RoushStage3

2017RoushStage3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yeah tried that. I think the next thing I am going to try is swapping out the 1080x injectors.
I also tried the crank relearn several times.
The only things remaining are the injectors, BAP, and clutch. And we'll the tune (which Lund says has no problems)

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah tried that. I think the next thing I am going to try is swapping out the 1080x injectors.
I also tried the crank relearn several times.
The only things remaining are the injectors, BAP, and clutch. And we'll the tune (which Lund says has no problems)
VMP sent me a revision on mine at the end of last week. It made a huge improvement on the surging while cruising and it also greatly reduced bucking while driving through my neighborhood when the car was cold in the mornings. It didn't 100% eliminate it, but on a scale of 1-10 it took it from and 6 down to a 1.5. What ever they did... I'm happy with it. I probably only notice it at this point because i'm hyper sensitive to it. I just have one more occasional issue I sent to them in a log and I think the car is running awesome!

OP
OP
2017RoushStage3

2017RoushStage3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
VMP sent me a revision on mine at the end of last week. It made a huge improvement on the surging while cruising and it also greatly reduced bucking while driving through my neighborhood when the car was cold in the mornings. It didn't 100% eliminate it, but on a scale of 1-10 it took it from and 6 down to a 1.5. What ever they did... I'm happy with it. I probably only notice it at this point because i'm hyper sensitive to it. I just have one more occasional issue I sent to them in a log and I think the car is running awesome!
That just reinforces my thoughts that it is tune related and that Lund just doesn't care to spend the time to fix it for me.
I just need to find a better tuner prefer local but that is going to be difficult since I am in Germany

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That just reinforces my thoughts that it is tune related and that Lund just doesn't care to spend the time to fix it for me.
I just need to find a better tuner prefer local but that is going to be difficult since I am in Germany
I didn't notice you were in Germany until you mentioned it. I can see how it might be difficult to find a local tuner for a Roush there. lol. I have a couple tuners here that I used for other cars. I just figured I would go with VMP since they seem to have a lot of experience with these cars.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Lund says something mechanically wrong with the car
It's MAF wash. PMAS is finicky to how the air enters. Any mods to the grill, enlarge opening, aftermarket grill, will do what you're describing.

Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't notice you were in Germany until you mentioned it. I can see how it might be difficult to find a local tuner for a Roush there. lol. I have a couple tuners here that I used for other cars. I just figured I would go with VMP since they seem to have a lot of experience with these cars.
Do you have a log you can share?

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP..! Did you figured it out ?
I'm on the 2nd revision right now with Ortiz yet the car still stalls but the hesitation is better.

OP
OP
2017RoushStage3

2017RoushStage3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OP..! Did you figured it out ?
I'm on the 2nd revision right now with Ortiz yet the car still stalls but the hesitation is better.
Not yet. Car went down 2 months ago while traveling through Zurich. AC clutch locked up and broken the tensioner. Waiting for parts to arrive but now with winter almost here have to wait for spring to drive it to a tuner.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; These engines have variable valve timing I think. I would think cam timing could be on a list of things that might cause a surge if the cams are shifting position for some reason.

This will not be related but may be the same sort of issue. Back in the late 1980's I rebuilt a 63 Oldsmobile. Had it looking good and running well. It would surge when cruising at highway speeds. If I tried to hold a steady 60 mph the car would not do that. If I was steady on the gas pedal there would be a slight hunt ( surge) in the speed. I noted it would hold a steady speed going up a grade. Frustrated me for a while.
Turned out to be the vacuum motor on the distributor. The old style distributors had two sorts of ways to advance and retard timing. One was some counterweights inside the distributor which moved against springs as they spun.
The other was a vacuum device attached to the outside of the distributor. It was a small can with a rubber diaphragm attached to a rod. There was a hose which ran from the intake manifold to the vacuum motor. The vacuum motor would react to intake vacuum and either advance or retard the timing slightly. On my car there was a small hole in the rubber. At a steady cruise the vacuum motor was constantly leaking vacuum and moving the control rod. A new vacuum motor fixed it.

Not clear in my mind what would be an equal component on a modern engine. There ought to be some sensor measuring vacuum or affecting manifold vacuum. Maybe a tiny vacuum leak in some way. One of my first look sees on a modern car it to check vacuum hoses.
Perhaps a PCV valve could be the problem? I think most, if not all, modern ICE cars have them. They are cheap enough.

I doubt this will help, but good luck.

OP
OP
2017RoushStage3

2017RoushStage3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yeah they do have varible timing. I think i have narrowed it down to the tune. Car is still broken, Though. Apprently Roush uses a specific Honda tensioner for the SC. Really difficult to find oddly enough. And to add to it I am in Germany.
Sponsored