Sponsored

Surface level for installing strut tower brace?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
How important is it to make sure the car is on a level surface before tightening up the strut tower brace? I haven't seen this typically mentioned but I would think anything chassis related should be done on a level surface

The other day I needed to take the engine cover off but I didn't have a level working surface so I decided to wait.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
You think too much about the little things . Just unscrew the nuts and position the strut tower brace . Now re tighten the nuts .

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
How important is it to make sure the car is on a level surface before tightening up the strut tower brace? I haven't seen this typically mentioned but I would think anything chassis related should be done on a level surface
Don't worry about it. BUT if you are into that (worrying), level ground would NOT necessarily mean there isn't any flex in the chassis that could be "burned in" by tightening the brace bolts.

If you want to make sure that doesn't happen you would need to put all 4 wheels on separate scales which are on a level surface and adjust the coil-overs (I forgot to mention you will need those) so the right side wheels and the left side wheels have the same weight on them when you tighten the strut bolts. You will also need to thereafter carry ballast equal to your weight in the passenger seat and make sure that seat is adjusted fore and aft the same as the driver's seat. ;)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously you sell your house and buy one with a properly level garage. Then you wait for high tide, install the strut tower brace and torque to spec.
Sponsored