Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hello all!

I am stepping things up with tracking my car and would like to have the ability to tow it. I will be using a U-Haul trailer to transport my car because I live in an apartment for the time being so no space to keep it. I currently own a 2002 4Runner but that doesn't meet my needs.

I was looking at a 2009 F-150 but figured I might as well ask here because I am not too familiar with trucks and towing capacity and the different things to look out for. My budget is a firm $15,000 and it must have 4WD and be a super crew size.

Thanks for you help!
Sponsored

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
3/4 ton diesel. Ford/Chevy/Ram.
I tested all three and wound up with a Ram, but the others were great, too.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll rent you my F150 for a small daily fee. :)
I also have a line on a new all aluminum full-deck 18+ trailer you can likewise rent by the day.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
You could get yourself a matching tow vehicle like I have....

Realistically, for pulling an S550 on a trailer an appropriately equipped 1/2 ton will do. If you're looking at a 2009 or so F150 I'd avoid the 5.4 Triton like the plague as they like to spit out spark plugs as the heads were not designed with enough threads.

iiILKu1zMHdCbziCSctHB3bM=w1346-h1009-no?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
3/4 ton diesel. Ford/Chevy/Ram.
I tested all three and wound up with a Ram, but the others were great, too.
I saw a Chevy 2500 and F250 that could be a possibility. I would be open to those. Thaks

I'll rent you my F150 for a small daily fee. :)
I also have a line on a new all aluminum full-deck 18+ trailer you can likewise rent by the day.
Haha I might take you up on that trailer if haul gets too expensive

Realistically, for pulling an S550 on a trailer an appropriately equipped 1/2 ton will do. If you're looking at a 2009 or so F150 I'd avoid the 5.4 Triton like the plague as they like to spit out spark plugs as the heads were not designed with enough threads.

Im not married to the 09 F150 but just used it as a starting place. Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
My vote is on an Ford OBS. 10-15k is about the right price for a decently kept one.

There were no Super Crew short beds back then though, but I've seen people take a donor supercrew and drop the cab and a short bed onto an ext cab long bed frame.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've been told for a vehicle that has to sit some of the time gas is a better choice than diesel. My assumption is that this won't be your daily use vehicle but is primarily for towing. I also think diesel pickups are too expensive unless you really have to tow a lot - like several days per week. I have a 1999 F250 SD with the V10 that I've used for towing a number of times. Its main purpose is clearing the driveway of snow, but it had no problem with a heavy steel trailer and a skid steer, for example. It also sits a lot - weeks at a time even. I paid ~$5k for it.

The 250 won't ride as nice as a 150 and an older vehicle has some obvious downsides, but I love my pickup. Its been quite dependable. I bought it ~8 years ago. It has about 240,000 miles on it. I've replaced a coil and the fuel pressure regulator and done maintenance. I also had an exhaust leak and had the gasket replaced, which was relatively expensive to pay someone for. It was a repair I just decided not to do myself.

I think something older and cheaper would be a good way to go, especially since you don't own a house yet. Having the extra money in your pocket is probably good.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I've been told for a vehicle that has to sit some of the time gas is a better choice than diesel. My assumption is that this won't be your daily use vehicle but is primarily for towing. I also think diesel pickups are too expensive unless you really have to tow a lot - like several days per week. I have a 1999 F250 SD with the V10 that I've used for towing a number of times. Its main purpose is clearing the driveway of snow, but it had no problem with a heavy steel trailer and a skid steer, for example. It also sits a lot - weeks at a time even. I paid ~$5k for it.

The 250 won't ride as nice as a 150 and an older vehicle has some obvious downsides, but I love my pickup. Its been quite dependable. I bought it ~8 years ago. It has about 240,000 miles on it. I've replaced a coil and the fuel pressure regulator and done maintenance. I also had an exhaust leak and had the gasket replaced, which was relatively expensive to pay someone for. It was a repair I just decided not to do myself.

I think something older and cheaper would be a good way to go, especially since you don't own a house yet. Having the extra money in your pocket is probably good.
After thinking about it I think you hit nail on the head.

I daily drive my 4Runner and posted this threadwith the intentions of selling it for a F150 but I see what youā€™re saying and I like that idea. I never thought about that. I think now I will just get something less than 6K and just use that for towing.

you made great points. Thank you sir I really appreciate it.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
After thinking about it I think you hit nail on the head.

I daily drive my 4Runner and posted this threadwith the intentions of selling it for a F150 but I see what youā€™re saying and I like that idea. I never thought about that. I think now I will just get something less than 6K and just use that for towing.

you made great points. Thank you sir I really appreciate it.
even a mid 80s-90s F-150 can tow about 7k, which would be a trailer and an S550. and the maint is dirt friggen cheap. you can rebuild a motor for less than 500 bucks and a weekend. I really do suggest 86 or earlier, 351W, so that you get the 9" rear. but an OBS 460 truck would be great too. just don't expect good mileage.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

I agree with the 5.4 avoidance. They also have cam phaser issues mainly on the passenger side. Poor oiling design. Get a newer 5.0 truck, no problems there.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Lowest mileage ā€˜11+ Coyote f150 you can find, or a 4th gen 4runner/gx470 with the 2uz

Both would be nice to drive day to day (slight edge to the 4runner) and both would pull an s550 (definite edge to the f150). Plus you can do other truck shit with the f150 that you couldnā€™t with the 4runner
Sponsored