Suddenly, my 2018 GT stopped drinking huge amounts of oil

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Some won't but consider yourself lucky. Do a quick search on the forums about oil consumption. Every one of those threads starts with I broke it in per the manual.
But that is because most people break it in as per the manual. It doesn't mean breaking it per the manual causes it - crucial difference. If 99% of people do what Ford suggest then any cars that burn oil are most likely to be from that 99%. We have always run our cars in from new as per makers recommendations and never had oil consumption problems over 30+ years and 20+ cars

There are good reasons for Ford saying what they do - and the same applies to pretty much every engine maker. In fact I have NEVER seen any carmaker advise ragging an engine from new. There is a reason for that!

The biggest difference compared to days gone by is that the engines are built to much finer tolerances and so settle in far more quickly so the run in period is less.

A friend of mine collected his Ferrari Pista from the factory - Ferrari wanted to know so that they could bed the engine in first before he drove it home. Lotus give very specific instructions on bedding in the Toyota V6 in the Emira gently.

C63 Mercedes VERY specific running in procedure

1671120974443.png

There is a reason for this
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
But that is because most people break it in as per the manual. It doesn't mean breaking it per the manual causes it - crucial difference. If 99% of people do what Ford suggest then any cars that burn oil are most likely to be from that 99%. We have always run our cars in from new as per makers recommendations and never had oil consumption problems over 30+ years and 20+ cars

There are good reasons for Ford saying what they do - and the same applies to pretty much every engine maker. In fact I have NEVER seen any carmaker advise ragging an engine from new. There is a reason for that!

The biggest difference compared to days gone by is that the engines are built to much finer tolerances and so settle in far more quickly so the run in period is less.

A friend of mine collected his Ferrari Pista from the factory - Ferrari wanted to know so that they could bed the engine in first before he drove it home. Lotus give very specific instructions on bedding in the Toyota V6 in the Emira gently.

C63 Mercedes VERY specific running in procedure

1671120974443.png

There is a reason for this
If you think 99% of people break it in per the manual you are nuts. 99% of people who aren't on this forum never even open their manual.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
That's a big change in oil consumption and I find it hard to believe it's due to not properly seating the rings. And I have doubts about cylinder break-in in modern auto engines, it's an OWT. I wonder if there was some other issue with your motor.

For what it's worth here's an article about cylinder break-in. It's specific to aircraft engines where the manufacturing technology is unchanged since the 30's. I suspect modern auto engine production uses fabrication methods to put the proper surface finish on the cylinder walls during the build process. Otherwise most cars would have high oil consumption as the average owner isn't going to beat the crap out of a new car.
Actually, most people that buy transportation appliances just drive their new cars exactly like they did their last, craptastic cars they had. Normally.

It's the buyers of "special" cars, like Mustangs, that tend to obsessively baby them so much when new, that the rings and seals never get properly heat-cycled and bedded in properly. It's the OCD/"my car has feelings and a soul" owners that refuse to beat on the car from new, and end up with oil-burners.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Actually, most people that buy transportation appliances just drive their new cars exactly like they did their last, craptastic cars they had. Normally.

It's the buyers of "special" cars, like Mustangs, that tend to obsessively baby them so much when new, that the rings and seals never get properly heat-cycled and bedded in properly. It's the OCD/"my car has feelings and a soul" owners that refuse to beat on the car from new, and end up with oil-burners.
Yes.

Heat cycle it a few times fully, then warm it up and treat it like it owes you money....

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Interesting turn the thread has taken. With new cars I break them in per factory specs. I do not ad lib the process. There is a possible flaw in that procedure. That being if the "new " car has some miles already on it from test drives. Who knows how hard someone else pushed it before you.
The greater question for me is break-in oil. Is that still a thing? I have tended to change the factory oil after maybe 500 miles or so.

I have not rebuilt many engines and all have been flat tappit cams and lifters. I run the engine at higher RPMs on first start for maybe 20 minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 21 MACH 1

But in that case, why Ford recommends the opposite in the owner's manual for the first 1.500 miles? And other manufacters too?

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Believe it or not but these cars like to be driven hard. Seat those rings early! Every new car we get we throw on the Dyno after about 300 miles and do some WOT pulls lol.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)

Or not

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
But in that case, why Ford recommends the opposite in the owner's manual for the first 1.500 miles? And other manufacters too?
Because some forum contributors think they know better than the people who designed and built the engines. Pays your money and makes your choice, but I know which of the two provides the warranty on my car :wink:

Do you really think AMG Mercedes would describe the running in process in this amount of detail if just 'beat on it' from day one was better ?

1671550869817.png

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Because some forum contributors think they know better than the people who designed and built the engines. Pays your money and makes your choice, but I know which of the two provides the warranty on my car :wink:

Do you really think AMG Mercedes would describe the running in process in this amount of detail if just 'beat on it' from day one was better ?

1671550869817.png
Hello; I have not had a lot of new vehicles, but I go by the Owners manual to break in.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
With my 2018 GT, I changed the oil at 220 miles and the amount of metallic grit in the catch pan was quite high. The factory oil filter was also one inch shorter than the FL-500 replacement filter. I was so spooked, that I did a second change at 600 miles. The second change had much less metal grit. I was pleased that the second oil was clear of crud from the factory plasma arch spray on iron treatment. And my engine is quiet with no ticking at 16K so far.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
With my 2018 GT, I changed the oil at 220 miles and the amount of metallic grit in the catch pan was quite high. The factory oil filter was also one inch shorter than the FL-500 replacement filter. I was so spooked, that I did a second change at 600 miles. The second change had much less metal grit. I was pleased that the second oil was clear of crud from the factory plasma arch spray on iron treatment. And my engine is quiet with no ticking at 16K so far.
Hello; I also do a low mileage oil+ filter change with a new engine. Do you or anyone know if what i think of as break in oil is still used. From a dim memory in the early days of synthetic oil I seem to recall that new engines used the old fashioned oil to break in and then later synthetic could be used.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

1671550869817.png
Some forum contributors have owned 4 new Mustangs, amongst several new Fords, and knows what happens when people baby them. And some forum contributors have also read thread after thread about oil consumption, only to learn that the owner didn't go past 2500RPM for the first 3K miles.

And, some forum contributors have also seen first hand what happens when engines aren't broken in properly, using some heat and pressure.

Also, the above is NOT babying the engine. It specifically states to vary engine RPMs, go up to 4500RPMs and 2/3rds throttle.

Plus, some forum contributors have noticed that those break-in procedures in the manuals haven't changed since the 1950s.
Sponsored