Sponsored

Suddenly, my 2018 GT stopped drinking huge amounts of oil

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
manuals are written by lawyers whose audience (owner) barely knows which pedal is which, doesn't know what RPM means and in the course of routine driving barely uses 20% of throttle at most and stays well south of 3000 RPM because all that noise at >3000 must be bad.

Nobody is going to be denied a warranty claim down the road because they rev'd the motor (once good and warm) to near/redline from time to time during the first 100-300 miles.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Some forum contributors have owned 4 new Mustangs, amongst several new Fords, and knows what happens when people baby them. And some forum contributors have also read thread after thread about oil consumption, only to learn that the owner didn't go past 2500RPM for the first 3K miles.

And, some forum contributors have also seen first hand what happens when engines aren't broken in properly, using some heat and pressure.

Also, the above is NOT babying the engine. It specifically states to vary engine RPMs, go up to 4500RPMs and 2/3rds throttle.

Plus, some forum contributors have noticed that those break-in procedures in the manuals haven't changed since the 1950s.
I didn't say baby on it.

I said do as the manual says not beat on it from day 1. I have always done as Ford says on over 20 new cars in 30 years and NONE have ever burned oil. Mercedes were not making C63's in the 1950's

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
manuals are written by lawyers whose audience (owner) barely knows which pedal is which, doesn't know what RPM means and in the course of routine driving barely uses 20% of throttle at most and stays well south of 3000 RPM because all that noise at >3000 must be bad.

Nobody is going to be denied a warranty claim down the road because they rev'd the motor (once good and warm) to near/redline from time to time during the first 100-300 miles.
Decades ago, owners manuals explained how to adjust valve lash and timing, amongst other real maintenance and repairs.

Now, car batteries have a sticker on them telling the owner not to drink the contents.

Let me tell you how impressed I am with modern society....

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I didn't say baby on it....
I did. And then you attempted to correct me on it.

So let's see what Ford themselves say on the topic;

Engine
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.

That's it. Straight from the manual.....and the 1960s

ETA; Actually, the 1966 Mustang Owner's manual does not have anything in it about breaking in the engine. Not a single word I could find.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
1671556998689.png

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I did. And then you attempted to correct me on it.

So let's see what Ford themselves say on the topic;

Engine
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.

That's it. Straight from the manual.....and the 1960s

ETA; Actually, the 1966 Mustang Owner's manual does not have anything in it about breaking in the engine. Not a single word I could find.
I didn't attempt to correct you - you described somebody babying an engine

Some forum contributors have owned 4 new Mustangs, amongst several new Fords, and knows what happens when people baby them. And some forum contributors have also read thread after thread about oil consumption, only to learn that the owner didn't go past 2500RPM for the first 3K miles.

I didn't suggest doing this and neither do Ford.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Now that the new cars have "smart" stuff in them maybe they can tell on an owner. Years ago a story got around. A driver had a hit and run. She went home and parked her car in the garage. later the cops show up at her door. Seems ON-Star or some such called in the accident.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I didn't attempt to correct you - you described somebody babying an engine

I didn't suggest doing this and neither do Ford.
Dude.....you're not able to follow along. Or you're being deliberately obtuse.

If I say "X", and you jump on me about it, in multiple posts, you're attempting to refute "X".

What about that do you not understand?

I said a thing, and you tried to refute it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 21 MACH 1
Because some forum contributors think they know better than the people who designed and built the engines. Pays your money and makes your choice, but I know which of the two provides the warranty on my car :wink:

Do you really think AMG Mercedes would describe the running in process in this amount of detail if just 'beat on it' from day one was better ?

1671550869817.png
Makes sense

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Dude.....you're not able to follow along. Or you're being deliberately obtuse.

If I say "X", and you jump on me about it, in multiple posts, you're attempting to refute "X".

What about that do you not understand?

I said a thing, and you tried to refute it.
No idea what you are on about. I have ONLY said follow the Ford instructions end of story. Don't baby it, don't beat on it. Whatever wormhole you are going down I will leave you to it.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
But that is because most people break it in as per the manual. It doesn't mean breaking it per the manual causes it - crucial difference. If 99% of people do what Ford suggest then any cars that burn oil are most likely to be from that 99%. We have always run our cars in from new as per makers recommendations and never had oil consumption problems over 30+ years and 20+ cars

There are good reasons for Ford saying what they do - and the same applies to pretty much every engine maker. In fact I have NEVER seen any carmaker advise ragging an engine from new. There is a reason for that!

The biggest difference compared to days gone by is that the engines are built to much finer tolerances and so settle in far more quickly so the run in period is less.

A friend of mine collected his Ferrari Pista from the factory - Ferrari wanted to know so that they could bed the engine in first before he drove it home. Lotus give very specific instructions on bedding in the Toyota V6 in the Emira gently.

C63 Mercedes VERY specific running in procedure

1671120974443.png

There is a reason for this
Hello; I see two good outcomes so far from the thread. First is many seem to get away with outright abuse and the engines live. Second is those who follow the above guidelines also get to have a good engine. Shifting at 4500 RPM or 2/3 to redline is still some above baby treatment.
Not any places I go above 85 mph much any more and i can stand it for 1000 miles.
Do not set it on cruse and run for hours at one speed for a 1000 miles. I can do that. I have done that. Speed up then slow down and so on every now and then.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
It's not about abusing it during breakin. It's about not driving it like a pussy. Especially if you plan in driving it hard later on.
Sponsored