Sponsored

Stupid high oil temps - GT350R

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Road and Track had oil temps in the 275-300 range at NCM during the PCOTY shootout. They make mention of it somewhere also. I would expect someone on backroads working an engine hard without the speed of on track work to run some pretty high oil temps. Especially if only the lower gears are being used.
True. It was north of 95* today but you go have a point.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I see oil temps in the 250 range when pushing the car in any kind of meaningful duration. Resorting to normal lower RPM during a cool down brings the temps back into the 220 F range.

I think the key here is how hard is the OP pushing the car and for how long and under what environmental conditions?

If I went nuts with it and the car didn't have the cooling needed to cool the oil, then yes, those temps make perfect sense.

Please expand on your driving that produces these temps. I agree, take it to a track under track conditions and see what the temps are doing.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
SCCA Track night today. 95F ambient. Six hot laps saw 299 slowed the pace and came down to 290.
45 min cool down , same story

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Have tracked in 90 degree weather and only after you push it, it gets close to 280 degrees. My E90 M3 also exhibited similar temperatures on the same track. For a high-revving 8200+ rpm redline, I think those types of temps are expected.

Also driving on twisty roads can get the car quite hot, especially if its revved high, as there are elevation changes and you're not going that fast, resulting in less than optimal heat exchange. However, hitting 130+ mph on a straight on the track actually does wonders for cooling.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford knows the oil gets hot. I think that's why they recommend changing the oil after 4 hours of track use IIRC.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Arizona. Driving & tracking in 100F+ is common here. I usually see 245F oil temps just driving around normally AND on track.

Here's my temps from my last track day (2 weeks ago) 92F ambient temp:

oil: 241F
diff: 215F
trans: 188F

I've recorded my fluid temps for my last 4 track days and these #'s are right in the avg

I will say that I've had the thermostat replaced, since then the car comes up to temp rather quickly compared to before.

FWIW I've never had overheating problems with my car.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Completely normal temps....dozens of track sessions here with no issues.

Last edited:

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I know there's a bunch of oil temp threads on here already, but I wanted to start my own so this doesn't get lost in the "noise."

I have a 2016 GT350R, and I took the car into the canyons to see what this thing can really do. By way of background, I've been tracking cars for years, and I have a tendency to push cars hard. (I'll give feedback on my thoughts on this car at the limit in another thread when I have time.)

Long story short, oil temps averaged between 250-255 degrees, and they got as hot as 275. This is with Amsoil 5/50 in a bone-stock GT350R with 90 degree outside temperatures. Periodically I would pull the car over to let it cool down. In our group last weekend, we had a new Z28 and ACR Viper, both of which had much cooler oil temps.

I can't imagine how this car would survive at the track on a hot day. If I'm hitting 275 degrees oil temp on the street, I can only imagine what it's going to be at the end of a hard 20 minute track session.

Definitely not impressed with these oil temps...
What track are you running at? 90F track temps will run hot oil temps in any car. For reference my Viper at laguna seca on a 70F day was averaging around 225F (5- 20 minute sessions). I can imagine it will run even hotter if the track temp was 90!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Just drive the car, and drive it like you stole it weekly. Change oil often, especially after tracking it and check oil levels often.

Sponsored

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Thats why the Voodoo engine requires 5W50 witch can handle extended high temperature.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Another .02

FWIW, to echo other comments:

Canyon twisties do not allow nearly the air velocities and/or time at those velocities as open track driving. (Heat transfer is a relatively strong function of air velocity, and, to a certain degree, of thermal resistance and heat transfer coefficients). That said, 250* - 275* is not too hot for this engine / lubricant.

Do not pull over to cool your engine. Rather, achieve the lowest rpm at the highest velocity for the longest time as you can, without lugging the engine.

TexasTodd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Raptor SE
Way too much discussion on this. Those are very normal oil temps for hard driven track cars and somebody with REAL experience would have known that, not posted..........

I have tracked cars for years and I am dedicated Amsoil user. Common temps across a great number of platforms I have tracked.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Way too much discussion on this. Those are very normal oil temps for hard driven track cars and somebody with REAL experience would have known that, not posted..........
:shrug:

..........perhaps he posted because he wanted others with experience to enlighten him?
Sponsored