Sponsored

Stupid high oil temps - GT350R

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I know there's a bunch of oil temp threads on here already, but I wanted to start my own so this doesn't get lost in the "noise."

I have a 2016 GT350R, and I took the car into the canyons to see what this thing can really do. By way of background, I've been tracking cars for years, and I have a tendency to push cars hard. (I'll give feedback on my thoughts on this car at the limit in another thread when I have time.)

Long story short, oil temps averaged between 250-255 degrees, and they got as hot as 275. This is with Amsoil 5/50 in a bone-stock GT350R with 90 degree outside temperatures. Periodically I would pull the car over to let it cool down. In our group last weekend, we had a new Z28 and ACR Viper, both of which had much cooler oil temps.

I can't imagine how this car would survive at the track on a hot day. If I'm hitting 275 degrees oil temp on the street, I can only imagine what it's going to be at the end of a hard 20 minute track session.

Definitely not impressed with these oil temps...
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
What is your oil pressure doing when the oil gets that hot?

OP
OP

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What is your oil pressure doing when the oil gets that hot?
I didn't study the oil pressure closely, but it looked to be about 30psi at idle. It could have been less. It's hard to tell since there's no digital gauge. What's important is that the oil pressure still went up when applying a bit of throttle.

And why in the world don't these cars have a digital oil pressure gauge and digital coolant temp? Every other sports car in the world has that. I can tell you the exact temperature of my axle fluid or the temperature of the cylinder head surface, but I can't tell the exact temperature of the coolant. Anyone see anything odd about that?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
You shouldn't have an issue at below 300*F when using synthetic oil. 275* isn't bad, I wouldn't cool it down until I saw 300*F.

CHT are usually 5-10*F higher than coolant temp.

OP
OP

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You shouldn't have an issue at below 300*F when using synthetic oil. 275* isn't bad, I wouldn't cool it down until I saw 300*F.

CHT are usually 5-10*F higher than coolant temp.

Yeah, I really don't feel comfortable with oil temps that high though. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw 300+ at the track since I'm able to get up to 275 degrees on the street. That's just ridiculous.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Take it to the track and gauge from there as well... I have brought my track pack at 3 diff tracks and I have hit 274'ish oil temps when pushed hard. I have even done a 45 min session w/o danger-reaching oil temps. Tracks with at least one long straight should help lower that oil temp as well, lap after lap.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Yeah, I really don't feel comfortable with oil temps that high though. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw 300+ at the track since I'm able to get up to 275 degrees on the street. That's just ridiculous.
My friends BMW M-coupe ran at 300*F for years of track use with no issues. Whats your background of track car and temps you're familiar & comfortable with? 275*F isn't bad and I wouldn't worry.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
My tech oil temps on track run 250-275 20 minute sessions.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jered
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Any thing close to or above 275 degrees can be seriously dropping the oils Wear Protection Capability. Could be as high as 30%.
I wouldn't allow it to get that hot period, no reason too.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Any thing close to or above 275 degrees can be seriously dropping the oils Wear Protection Capability. Could be as high as 30%.
I wouldn't allow it to get that hot period, no reason too.
Unless you are going to do multiple track days with a 10,000 mile oil change intervals, it's not a concern.

A few track days and 3-5K mile oil changes is more than enough for 275-300*F track temps. If you still have concerns, send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and they will tell you how well your oil is holding up and how often to change it.

Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
My personal anecdote, not evidence-based observation: I can't help but notice that the guys complaining about high oil temps and the guys complaining about oil consumption all seem to be using Amsoil.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Per Hot Rod mag:
"A full-synthetic oil will withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, and for hard-core professional racing, some oval-track race teams are experimenting with ultra-thin, specially formulated, race-only synthetics operating at 350 degrees or even higher."

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jered
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Unless you are going to do multiple track days with a 10,000 mile oil change intervals, it's not a concern.

A few track days and 3-5K mile oil changes is more than enough for 275-300*F track temps. If you still have concerns, send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and they will tell you how well your oil is holding up and how often to change it.
So you want an oil temp that drops the protection instantly... No thanks.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I myself would use a scan tool if you have access to one or use a tuner to confirm the oil temps match. When in doubt check it out. I would also check to make sure the voltage to the oil temp sensor is correct. It should be 5 volts at the signal wire. A scan tool would also help check this, even a digital multi meter would work. You could also remove the sensor and put it in cold and hot water to confirm its working correctly. If I'm not mistaken I think Joe Charles yellow GT350 had a freak oil temp sensor fail and leak oil on the exhaust and caught his car on fire. Or maybe it was the oil psi sensor. I myself would still check it and also check to make sure the cooler doesn't have some sort of debri blocking it.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Amsoil 5w50 has a flash point of 446 degrees F
And a fire point of 486 degrees F
You are definitely in the safe zone, but I would still check it. When doing normal driving how are the temps? Don't forget the cats are right near the oil pan also.
Sponsored