OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Isn't there a RHD-specific version of this brace?
Some after market ones come in RHD versions but the original OEM one only comes in one version.

It is the only one I wanted as I don't like the look of the Steeda or the Ford performance brace and as this is mainly for the under bonnet looks than better handling I went the OEM one.

I got mine from American Muscle shipped to Aust in a week for less than half the price from local suppliers without shipping from Melb to Syd. I checked the part number from both local suppliers and from American Muscle and its the same part.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Hi Phil,

Saw your post over on AFF; I'm GTP534 over there.

Can you let me know the part no. please?

I'm not happy with the fitment of the Steeda brace and sheared off a mounting stud when I took it off last weekend.

On closer examination the Ford braces only use the 2 mounting points each side.

Thanks

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Phil,

Saw your post over on AFF; I'm GTP534 over there.

Can you let me know the part no. please?

I'm not happy with the fitment of the Steeda brace and sheared off a mounting stud when I took it off last weekend.

On closer examination the Ford braces only use the 2 mounting points each side.

Thanks
Its part number FR3Z-16A200-A

Here is a link to it in Australia;
http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/ford-oem-usa-strut-tower-brace.html
So $550 plus around $100 postage from memory so $650.
I got one delivered from Am Muscle for US$350 plus less postage than $100, I think I saved a few hundred bucks from memory and I received it in a week.
Link in the US
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-strut-brace-silver-2015gt.html

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Some after market ones come in RHD versions but the original OEM one only comes in one version.
Actually there is a separate part number for RHD. The difference however is in the K brace, not the strut brace. I ordered the RHD version initially but it was taking too long and still had no ETA so changed it to the LHD version as we already have the K brace anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have a look at the part number on both the Australian Mustang Motorsport website and the US American Muscle website, both are FR3Z-16A200-A.

This is the only OEM Strut Tower Brace available. Not anything to do with the K Brace, but yes I understand that the already installed KBrace on the drivers side is the problem for us.

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ford Performance (aftermarket) that I don't like and the Steeda STB which I really don't like may come in RHD, I know the FP one does, but I'm talking about the stock fitted US brace

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
There are new oem ones including new nuts from a couple of vendors for a shade under USD 200 including shipping on that website that ends in bay and starts with e.

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a huge fan of buying on ebay. Lots of shonks on there making all sorts of reps and warranties about goods that turn out either fake and not OEM quality. I know the great majority of them are fine but I'd rather not take the risk and have any hassle.

As a classic example;
I once saw on ebay a set of Michelin Pilot Super sports delivered for $200 a tyre. At the time these were something like $1000 a tyre in Australia. I contacted Michelin and they said they were aware of them and a Chinese factory had copied the tread pattern via a mould and made them with whatever old recycled rubber they had lying about, no internal Kevlar/ CF or whatever fancy stuff and special quality rubber they really come with. Sure they look the part but don't take turn 1 at Sydney Motorsport Park north of 150 clicks in a set of the Chinese versions. And good luck taking any action against them in the Chinese courts.

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT

Sponsored

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Actually there is a separate part number for RHD. The difference however is in the K brace, not the strut brace. I ordered the RHD version initially but it was taking too long and still had no ETA so changed it to the LHD version as we already have the K brace anyway.
Yeh I have the k brace on my wall , it looks like a big moe ! I got my STB from new takeoff which means they come off a US gt whose getting a blower !

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeh I have the k brace on my wall , it looks like a big moe ! I got my STB from new takeoff which means they come off a US gt whose getting a blower !
That sounds like a good (and probably cheap) source for them.

BTW I understand the best combo is both the K Brace and the ST Brace together.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
The Ford Performance (aftermarket) that I don't like and the Steeda STB which I really don't like may come in RHD, I know the FP one does, but I'm talking about the stock fitted US brace
I thought I recalled seeing a RHD version of the silver OEM one as well but could be mistaken or I could be thinking of the GT350 brace. Never understood why there was a RHD GT350 brace when there's no RHD GT350.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
This is a thread I started in the Suspension Sub-Forum about my Steeda brace. I can't believe the effort "Ugly John" went to in providing information to help me out!!

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81846

I chose the Steeda brace as it was black and suits the Black colour of my car. I'm not happy with the fitment of it though.

I'm considering whether or not to get a Ford Performance strut brace but looking at around $600 or so to get a new one.

The other thing I thought of was to trim the baseplates of the Steeda brace so that only the inner 2 mounting points are required, much like the Ford Performance braces. This way I can re-use the original nuts as well which are a better fit given they are a flanged type. The brace is a purely visual thing for me, I'm not chasing stiffness for the track or anything.

OP
OP
Flying Fiz

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I fitted the OEM US brace late last week, you need to bolster it up about 6mms on both sides, to clear the Kbrace on the drivers side. You could do it any number of ways and Harrop have a custom made plate for a hassle free fix.
I was going to get out the angle grinder and grind it down but I wanted to avoid this if possible due to potentially compromising its structural integrity (probably not likely), also it being a lot of work and then needing rust proofing and matching paint.

I can report that it makes the engine bay look complete and it certainly looks more muscle car. I also initially noticed more torsional stiffness when pushing it hard in a tight corner. Pretty certain this was not mere imagination, but after a long drive you get used to the new feel and so now it feel normal.

I'll post a photo shortly
Sponsored