Sponsored

Strut Spring Seat Bearing Broken?

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 - Race Red
I’m posting this question in the event what I experienced is normal an no problem. I’m assuming it is not normal, is a problem, and I need a new strut spring seat and bearing.

Here’s what happened. When I disassembled one of my struts, the spring seat bearing came apart. The bottom half of the green bearing case stayed attached to the spring seat and the top half stayed attached to the Steeda camber plate. All of the ball bearings stayed in place (except one which came out of the channel and I put back in place) as they were covered in grease. I was able to snap the top of the bearing back on and the bearing rotates fine. I should have taken a picture, but didn’t think about it until I put it back together

As I said I’m assuming the bearing is no longer good for use, and I need to replace it. Of course being a Saturday the quickest I can get a replacement is Tuesday. My plan is to wait until Tuesday for a replacement, but I thought it was worth putting this out there just in case this is a normal occurrence and something I should not be concerned about. Unless I find out this is normal, I’m not assembling everything until I have a new bearing. It’s not worth saving a few days only to have it give me problems.

So, does anyone have knowledge about whether it needs to be replaced or if it’s ok to use it after putting it back together?

For a replacement, should I go with the Ford OEM, Oreilly’s “MasterPro” brand, or a KYB brand from some other sources? The KYB is about half the price of the other two. I currently plan to go with the OEM.
Sponsored

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
sounds like definitely better to just replace it and not worry about it again and oem is what i would go with for sure

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sounds like definitely better to just replace it and not worry about it again and oem is what i would go with for sure
Thanks. That’s my plan. I can’t imagine it was designed to come apart, so it’s not worth risking it. That’s too much work to replace and get a new alignment if it doesn’t function properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not a problem as long as you didn't loose any of the bearings. The races are designed to snap together.
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense as they did seem to just snap back together without much effort. Without knowing for sure it was ok to reuse, I left everything apart until I could get a replacement. Fortunately the local Ford dealer had the part in stock, which I picked up this morning, so I'm going to go ahead and swap it out for a new one. It is worth the peace of mind to not worry that it is somehow damaged and that I could end up having to replace it.
Sponsored