Sponsored

Strange noise from transmission.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Possibly or the linkage needs adjusting. If my memory serves me right the gt350 trans (Tremec) are quite notchy and takes some time to break in especially on cool mornings. There should be a friction modifier added during assembly and maybe they didn't get it filled all the way. I have seen his happen before too. Keep us posted!

I had an 08 that was grinding 3rd gear especially when cold and the synchros were replaced.
My 08 shifted smooth but I thought the factory shifter was pretty sloppy. My 01 had bad synchros and shift forks in 2nd.

the t-3650 was definitely notchy the first few miles but it’s broken in nicely for me. I guess you could say it’s still notchy but it’s a very positive feeling shift and inspires a lot of confidence to quickly find the next gear
Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
the t-3650 was definitely notchy the first few miles but it’s broken in nicely for me. I guess you could say it’s still notchy but it’s a very positive feeling shift and inspires a lot of confidence to quickly find the next gear
I believe you mean TR-3160 in Mach 1, TR-3650 is an old (5spd) gearbox from Tremec.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Possibly or the linkage needs adjusting. If my memory serves me right the gt350 trans (Tremec) are quite notchy and takes some time to break in especially on cool mornings. There should be a friction modifier added during assembly and maybe they didn't get it filled all the way. I have seen his happen before too. Keep us posted!

I had an 08 that was grinding 3rd gear especially when cold and the synchros were replaced.
The transmission shifted like butter when I first got it. It wasn’t until it popped outta gear a couple times that it started getting “notchy”

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong with my tremec transmission or if it's something that the 3160 just does. When going into 2nd and 4th you can hear this weird noise. Doesn't do it when shifting into 3rd. Clutch fully depressed when shifting through the gears and not slamming into gear either. Any thoughts to what it could be causing the noise?
After listening to this a bit more I believe I hear the noise at the end of the 1st gear as well as on the 4th till the end when you are probably leaving the gear just idling. On the 4th it just has a lower pitch. Even when changing to the 2nd the noise is there all the time. Only at the beginning when the motor is just idling, it is more pronounced, then when you open the throttle it fades a bit, but not completely. I cannot notice anything in the 3rd gear. I wonder if it happens also when you downshift to the 2nd or the 4th gear (possibly without the auto rev-match)?

Sponsored

Mark Arnold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark Arnold
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FN Mustang Manual
Sounds like thrust bearing... (some call it a thrust race). I'd be taking that video to your dealer.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Take it to dealer, I don't think that noise is normal. Mine does not make that noise in any gear.

As far as it being damaging, who knows.... probably not. But either way need to get dealer to get the paper trail going incase this becomes a bigger issue.

Let us know what they say.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Mine was super notchy at first and making a similar noise in 1st and 2nd but super quiet in 3rd...since it's loosened up and is less noisy. I may need to take mine in hahaha

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Reviving the thread as I am experiencing the strange noise predominantly on the 2nd, but I believe I can also hear it on the 1st and potentially on the 3rd and 4th at somewhat higher RPM (~4000) when the engine pulls. I cannot detect anything in the 5th or 6th though. I have noticed it on my way home with the new car from the dealer, but it became obvious only after some time (not when I was drive testing it at the dealer) and at that time it was more on and off experience. Now it seems rather permanent once it appears.

I do not have a recording and cannot relate to the OP, but the closest sound (as someone already mentioned somewhere on this forum) is as if continuously scratching an empty can with some other metal. I believe there is something brushing or grinding against something else. It usually does not manifest right from the start on the cold engine/gearbox, but eventually it become clearly audible even at higher RPMs (in the 2nd gear).

I also noticed that I can make the sound louder when pushing the shifter to one side (but cannot remember which one, either left or right) and less pronounced, or even make it away, when pushing to the opposite side.

I am supposed to visit the dealership about it on Thursday, so I wonder if anyone has any tips, what should I look into before going there, or what to check with the dealer?

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Doesn't sound like a bad pinion bearing which is more like whining sound.

Sponsored

Esset

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 MACH 1
Reviving the thread as I am experiencing the strange noise predominantly on the 2nd, but I believe I can also hear it on the 1st and potentially on the 3rd and 4th at somewhat higher RPM (~4000) when the engine pulls. I cannot detect anything in the 5th or 6th though. I have noticed it on my way home with the new car from the de.......
what is your mileage or kmage :)? I am experiencing also some sound in 2nd gear, but only at this one. I read somewhere on a forum that it's a common thing and it will disappear on its own after a while. But I am now only at 900 km.. Keep us posted after visiting the dealership, I wonder what they'll say.

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
Reviving the thread as I am experiencing the strange noise predominantly on the 2nd, but I believe I can also hear it on the 1st and potentially on the 3rd and 4th at somewhat higher RPM (~4000) when the engine pulls. I cannot detect anything in the 5th or 6th though. I have noticed it on my way home with the new car from the dealer, but it became obvious only after some time (not when I was drive testing it at the dealer) and at that time it was more on and off experience. Now it seems rather permanent once it appears.

I do not have a recording and cannot relate to the OP, but the closest sound (as someone already mentioned somewhere on this forum) is as if continuously scratching an empty can with some other metal. I believe there is something brushing or grinding against something else. It usually does not manifest right from the start on the cold engine/gearbox, but eventually it become clearly audible even at higher RPMs (in the 2nd gear).

I also noticed that I can make the sound louder when pushing the shifter to one side (but cannot remember which one, either left or right) and less pronounced, or even make it away, when pushing to the opposite side.

I am supposed to visit the dealership about it on Thursday, so I wonder if anyone has any tips, what should I look into before going there, or what to check with the dealer?
This is interesting, I do not detect any scratching noise on mine. Just make sure it's reproducible and you should be good.

I do hear a transmission whine when I'm in lower gears, above 3k RPMs and leave off the gas. It's the loudest in second gear. I thought this was normal? I'll try to get an audio clip recording next time around.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
what is your mileage or kmage :)?
I am close to 1000 km so about your kmage :). I have also read that some sounds do disappear with time/kms, but my technical ear suffers as it clearly does not sound right (or it does, but I refuse to accept it :)).
This is interesting, I do not detect any scratching noise on mine. Just make sure it's reproducible and you should be good.
I will see if I can record something later today as I feel a bit limited by my vocabulary when describing the sound in English and I imagine my attempt could be somewhat misleading.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP

I do hear a transmission whine when I'm in lower gears, above 3k RPMs and leave off the gas. It's the loudest in second gear. I thought this was normal? I'll try to get an audio clip recording next time around.
Torsion differentials are somewhat a little noisy so this can be somewhat misleading as normal but a metallic sound probably not. Keep us posted!

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Twister Orange w/HP
I will bump this up, as I too have some trans noise in 2nd gear only, and only when on throttle. I think someone else in the forums had a similar noise to mine but it eventually went away? I only have 2k miles on the car at this point so maybe it will go away, but only is heard when going into 2nd and when in 2nd on throttle. In gear in 2nd off throttle it is gone and the noise isn't present in any other gear.
Sponsored