Sponsored

Intermittent "chirping" noise...appears to be coming from the rear drivetrain

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
After putting a few miles on the car, it seems to have developed this intermittent "chirping" noise....appears to be coming from the rear. It occurs when shifting in / out of drive or reverse, but occasionally notice it while taking off from a stop. I haven't noticed it while encountering bumps that would suggest a suspension issue.

I tried putting the rear tires on ramps and blocked the front wheels, and crawled under the back while having the wife going from reverse/park/drive. Unfortunately, couldn't get it to occur....that was odd, as I could replicate the issue before having my wife come out to help.

I was able to capture the noise while taking the car out later...bit faint while sticking the phone out the window.

Before taking it to the dealer, I was going to try taking it over to a friend with a set of QuickJacks to get it in the air and see if I can narrow down the location (rear center sections, half shafts, etc.).
Sponsored

Last edited:

cprime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caelan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I have the same noise coming from my 2022. I searched this forum for a while and learned that the Torsen differential we have produces a similar noise by nature of its design. This is most likely what weā€™re hearing since it happens when the car first applies torque to the wheels and it starts moving

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same noise coming from my 2022. I searched this forum for a while and learned that the Torsen differential we have produces a similar noise by nature of its design. This is most likely what weā€™re hearing since it happens when the car first applies torque to the wheels and it starts moving
Im sort of glad someone else noticed the same sound, although I wished no one did.

I didnā€™t notice the sound for the first 500 miles or so, and seems to be a new noise. I spent the day at the Mach 1 track attack and didnā€™t notice that sound in their cars. Iā€™ll see if I can isolate to the center section with my own ears.

If itā€™s a ā€œnormalā€ sound, I can deal with it, although it is a bit annoying.

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I had a noise coming from the rear but it didnā€™t sound like yours. It was a quick squeak sound when I cut the car off. It ended up being the active exhaust butterfly shaft. I sprayed Silicon spray on it and it stopped.

kglonghorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, 2021 Mach 1
Have the exact same noise in my 2021. Usually notice right when pulling out of garage, have to turn to fairly sharply the car out. Glad itā€™s not just me!

Sponsored

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If this was a ā€œnormalā€ noise associated to the torsen, I would have thought more folks would have this noise.

In searching, it seems the Torsen has a different noise/nuance from the one I posted.

Iā€˜m back to living with it if this is a normal noise, or taking to dealer if not.

Bigblustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
After putting a few miles on the car, it seems to have developed this intermittent "chirping" noise....appears to be coming from the rear. It occurs when shifting in / out of drive or reverse, but occasionally notice it while taking off from a stop. I haven't noticed it while encountering bumps that would suggest a suspension issue.

I tried putting the rear tires on ramps and blocked the front wheels, and crawled under the back while having the wife going from reverse/park/drive. Unfortunately, couldn't get it to occur....that was odd, as I could replicate the issue before having my wife come out to help.

I was able to capture the noise while taking the car out later...bit faint while sticking the phone out the window.

Before taking it to the dealer, I was going to try taking it over to a friend with a set of QuickJacks to get it in the air and see if I can narrow down the location (rear center sections, half shafts, etc.).
Have you ever found a solution to this issue Iā€™m getting that exact same sound

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever found a solution to this issue Iā€™m getting that exact same sound
Itā€™s been a while, but I havenā€™t noticed the sound this year. Iā€™ll have to pay attention in whether it still occurs (and I have gotten used to it), or if it seems to have resolved on its own.

I have approx 11,000 miles on it.
Sponsored