Sponsored

Stock vs Tuned vs JLT vs PMAS - The Real Dyno Test!

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
I know we are a pain in the ass to you lol, but any way you can just overlay the best runs from each? A lot of data on that graph to sort through. Hard to find the specifics.

Safe to say, though, it's too close to give much of a shit about.
Sponsored

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I know we are a pain in the ass to you lol, but any way you can just overlay the best runs from each? A lot of data on that graph to sort through. Hard to find the specifics.

Safe to say, though, it's too close to give much of a shit about.
working on 3 seperate sheets for each of the sets, with 3 different power points.

i thought i had finished at the office before leaving, but when i resized to fit on page, one of the graph layovers skewed, have to finish in the am.

the low end skews as timing varies alot, up top is the most consistent, for example the pmas had the highest torque at 3000, but timing was 2 degrees higher than any of the others.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Some people need to understand that a 14 whp gain on one dyno might show 30 whp or even more on another dyno. That dyno seems to be a really conservative one. Even if you add headers it might bump it up to maybe couple of whp's who knows. My guess is a highflow drop in filter with modular intake tube might put down similar results to a cai when the hood is closed. The numbers are pretty close to each other.
Dynos dont even matter when you have a baseline pull. It will always be the same whej you compare baseline VS tune Vs tune + parts. The only time what you say would matter is if you just went in and got your car tuned and dynoed with no numbers to compare. But if you took a base line on one dyno and a baseline on another dyno then tuned and dynoed again, even if one reads high and one reads low, the gains made should still be the same when you compare them to the baseline. That is the purprose or a dyno. Not just getting the end numbers. And im pretty sure thats what they did. The purpose wasnt to see the end numbers it was to see what gains were made between the changes so it doesnt matter if its lower reading. 14whp would be 14whp on all.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Dynos dont even matter when you have a baseline pull. It will always be the same whej you compare baseline VS tune Vs tune + parts. The only time what you say would matter is if you just went in and got your car tuned and dynoed with no numbers to compare. But if you took a base line on one dyno and a baseline on another dyno then tuned and dynoed again, even if one reads high and one reads low, the gains made should still be the same when you compare them to the baseline. That is the purprose or a dyno. Not just getting the end numbers. And im pretty sure thats what they did. The purpose wasnt to see the end numbers it was to see what gains were made between the changes so it doesnt matter if its lower reading. 14whp would be 14whp on all.
If one dyno is reading lower, I don't think the delta hp and torque will be the same on any other dyno. There is a reason why some intake manufacturers and even catback exhaust manufacturers are claiming huge gains with their upgrades. They even do their in house dyno with base vs moded. Looking at the majority here alone, we know that a lund tune with 93 octane can give more than 14 whp. The manufacturers claimed numbers are only valid for their dyno and test car alone.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I'm glad to see these results. I just hope that from here out these companies will stop proclaiming that they're better than the rest and that they make 20 hp more than the competition...and that these fanboys will stop jumping on bandwagons and making remarks like "PMAS or nothin". JLT has been around making intakes for a long time. They put a lot of R&D into their work. They know a few things about intakes. And for that matter, all the intake companies like Airaid, Steeda, etc put lots of work into their products. No one intake is gonna come along and be superior than the rest.
Exactly. :lol:

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
This makes me less and less interested in getting a tune. I don't plan on going headers so it's very small gains.
I did the Lund flex tune w/Ngauge and JLT CAI. The best bang for the buck by far.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
not what we saw, almost identical up to 6500.

3 pulls each, each with a lower torque hp in a similar range.

up top, timing was much more consistent, and again, we saw about 4 more hp up top with the pmas, very close other than that,

again, pick your poison imo, our favorite 2 intakes
It's like your ARH vs SW/SP headers test. Both headers (if using same size primaries of course) make the same power. That 4whp you saw up top would likely become more though with a GT350 manifold and throttle body added to the mix as that combo increases mass airflow from around 42lbs/min on the stock manifold and throttle body to close to 56lbs/min.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
It's like your ARH vs SW/SP headers test. Both headers (if using same size primaries of course) make the same power. That 4whp you saw up top would likely become more though with a GT350 manifold and throttle body added to the mix as that combo increases mass airflow from around 42lbs/min on the stock manifold and throttle body to close to 56lbs/min.
But it didn't. The dyno I posted was with my car that has 47lb inj with a ported gt350 intake and gt350tb

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
But it didn't. The dyno I posted was with my car that has 47lb inj with a ported gt350 intake and gt350tb
I did not realize that. Thank you for clarifying I couldn't remember your mods list when I was looking at your dyno.

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
I did not realize that. Thank you for clarifying I couldn't remember your mods list when I was looking at your dyno.
No problem. Maybe for an all out NA killer it will do something but it sure didn't make any noticeable change on the dyno with my setup.
Car is full 1-7/8 ARH catless exhaust, ported Gt350 intake with GT350 TB and JLT/pmas for the test.

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
so here are 3 back to back pulls, starting at 190 deg cylinder head temp, with maybe 10 seconds between each pull

i also went in and tried to pull 3 different rpm ranges, and plop them in at the low end, where the biggest gains over the stock airbox were, and toward the top.

stockstock.jpg

stockbox.jpg

jltdyno.jpg

pmasdyno.jpg

Last edited:

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you Terry for the follow up, very nice to see overlaid data.
So for tune required open box design intakes, pick your poison because they are really close.
And 09jsw, thank you for posting your dyno plot too, it is appreciated. More data is always welcome.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION], Thank you very much for posting and highlighting the data points at different speeds.

I still stand by what I said that this doesn't show me anything to convince me of tuning, as the only gains here (on 93) are at the very top end. I spend the vast majority of the time below 5000 rpm, so it'd be nice to have some more mid-range, if no gains at the low-end. 2-4 hp is within the noise of not noticeable. I suppose it'd worth it if there's noticeable improvements at partial throttle and for response.

Edit: are these all with the tune, just the three airboxes? Do you have the three pulls for stock, too?

Last edited:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
[MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION], Thank you very much for posting and highlighting the data points at different speeds.

I still stand by what I said that this doesn't show me anything to convince me of tuning, as the only gains here (on 93) are at the very top end. I spend the vast majority of the time below 5000 rpm, so it'd be nice to have some more mid-range, if no gains at the low-end. 2-4 hp is within the noise of not noticeable. I suppose it'd worth it if there's noticeable improvements at partial throttle and for response.

Edit: are these all with the tune, just the three airboxes? Do you have the three pulls for stock, too?
How can you tell tune is not worthwhile from that graph?

I assume the 3 lines are:

Tune only
JTL with Tune
PMAS with Tune

Or did I miss where it was stated what lines represent what?

Edit: just saw your edit. :)
Sponsored