WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Hey all,

I'm wondering whether someone who has removed their stock seats would be able to take a photo of the rails and underside of the seat?

I sold my 16' GT fastback a few months ago because it was lacking in headroom for me at 6'8". I really regret making that decision and have been looking at verts - they seem to have more room. I'd love another fastback though and was thinking of modify the mounting points on the stock seat to try and mount it lower - I literally only need an inch or so.

Unfortunately in Australia there aren't many wrecks that I could look at, hence the question on here.

Really appreciate any help. :cheers:
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think you can shave the metal stops that the seat hits when its at its lowest and potentially gain another inch, but I don't know if the seat lowering mechanism will bind if you try to bring it back up again.

phillybob232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum 2017 GT/CS
Ugh I need this too, at 6'4'' I very barely fit and could benefit from an extra inch or two to lower the seat.

Of course I don't want to give up my heated and cooled so the bucket racing seat option isn't really what I'm after.

phillybob232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum 2017 GT/CS
The Recaro's aren't that much lower.
Wouldn't some aftermarket options have a good amount of extra room height-wise? Either way, be interested to see if there's a somewhat safe way to bring the stock seats down a bit.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

MrBoogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I have the regular Premium seats, which have enough headroom for me at 6'6", but just barely. I drove a GT350 with Recaro's not long ago. The Recaro's do seem to offer a bit more headroom. The only problem was that they're a bit cumbersome to get in and out of for taller folks. It's kind of a catch-22 I guess.

Bealzabubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB / PP Platinum White
tall people problems. pfft :D
Yup - that's the problem with living in a world designed by and for "little people" (=any human male under 6'3":D).

At slightly over 6'6", I fit just fine in the fastback, but my height is in my legs, not my torso.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey all,

I'm wondering whether someone who has removed their stock seats would be able to take a photo of the rails and underside of the seat?

I sold my 16' GT fastback a few months ago because it was lacking in headroom for me at 6'8". I really regret making that decision and have been looking at verts - they seem to have more room. I'd love another fastback though and was thinking of modify the mounting points on the stock seat to try and mount it lower - I literally only need an inch or so.

Unfortunately in Australia there aren't many wrecks that I could look at, hence the question on here.

Really appreciate any help. :cheers:
Aftermarket Recaro Sport seats and a custom seat mount have me down about 3" from stock. My helmet now isn't jammed into the roof, and I don't have to recline the seat way back. Long torso, 6'4".

Off the shelf Planted brackets were ~1 in lower than stock with these seats & sliders. World have been OK for the street, but not enough for longer runs with a helmet.

Premium or standard? I would expect that the standard seat mounts would be easier to modify (less wiring and power gadgets taking up space).

Sponsored
OP
OP
WILDB

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
We only get premium over here in Oz, so heated and cooled. Awesome seats, but just too high.

A vert fixes the problem because of the higher roofline, but I do like the fastback more.

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This topic should be researched more. I'm "only" 6'4', but my head is either touching the roof or too close for comfort depending on how I have the seat back adjusted. Also, lowering the seat would allow for the stearing wheel to be tiled down a bit to get it closer to my torso.

The miata and porsche forums have threads about tall guy mods. Things like aftermarket brackets, modifying stock brackets, performing foamectomies, etc. I'd be very curious to see the underside of our premium seats and the body mounting locations.
There must be something that can be done to gain an inch or so without moving to an aftermarket seat. I like the heating/cooling, power adjustment, look, and airbags in the stock pair.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'll go out on a limb and guess that a good metal fabrication shop can adjust the seat runners to get another few inches. Even if they have to mount the runners directly to the floor.

The issue might then become the bottom of the seat. Where the motors are, etc.
Sponsored