Sponsored

Stock Mustangs HP actual power

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I can't believe back in the day the L99 V8 auto camaros were putting down 310 to 330 whp rated 400 hp crank. My traded 2012 ls3 put down 368 whp was rated 426 hp at the crank, and on the same dyno my current 2015 gtpp put down 395 whp on stock tune. The temps were even lower when i did the dyno for the camaro.

I am also a believer that some cars are blessed with extra horsepower from the factory with the help of horsepower fairy dust sprinkles lol.
Sponsored

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
You like.... some sort of genius or something?! Surprised you haven't put your IQ rating in your signature yet!:D:thumbsup:
LOL, just my friend's dad was a mechanic so he was really into these things. Modifying his beater Hyundai to push more HP, how to heel and tow, and installing fart cans.

SynisterGT

Kooks + Corsa FTW!!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Mag/Redline
My GT made 391 rwhp with a corsa cbe. Roughly 450 hp engine. Car actually makes more than advertised. So there is that.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
calm down.
Use caps.

My GT made 391 rwhp with a corsa cbe. Roughly 450 hp engine. Car actually makes more than advertised. So there is that.
Too many variables trying to figure crank hp from whp.

The power they rate is before it reaches your drivetrain. To people who actually care, the power it makes to the actual wheels is the measurement they want to see because it's the actual power that makes the car move. Clearly HP numbers are just used for marketing and your average car buyer doesn't realize that.
Saying manufacturers use hp numbers just as a marketing tool isn't fair. It's a real number, and it has a purpose.

I can't believe back in the day the L99 V8 auto camaros were putting down 310 to 330 whp rated 400 hp crank ...
Auto vs. manual = drivetrain loss, it still was in fact a 400 hp engine.

... The manufacturers have every right to list the HP that the car actually makes ...
Crank hp is real, it's the hp the car is actually making at the crank.

... it would be nice to see WHP numbers in the advertisements.
Never happen.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Thank God for today's robust aftermarket. Did you know a stock 426 hemi cuda was lucky to break into the 12's it ran 13's all day long. It was rated at 425 by the factory, but the word was it was actually 500 hp which the factory refused to report due to insurance reasons. The weight of the car held it back, today you can buy a 12 second mustang rated at 435 hp...take that same engine and
mod it to 900 rwhp...wow how far we have come from the old days! Remember guys, power is nothing without control!

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a book with a reprint of every magazine road test of a Barracuda for its entire 10 year model run. A stock 340 Cuda was actually faster than a 426 hemi Cuda running in the high 13s verse the low 14s for the hemi.

No car from that era got very far into the 13s stock, you needed to do something to give the car some traction. Also the HP was measured differently than it is today up to 72 when the government stepped and mandated the measurement methods. You take 25% to 30% off the numbers before 72 to make them comparable to today's numbers.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You like.... some sort of genius or something?! Surprised you haven't put your IQ rating in your signature yet!:D:thumbsup:
IQ at the brain or IQ at the typing fingers?

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I agree with the OP here.

The manufacturers have every right to list the HP that the car actually makes, but I feel that the actual wheel horsepower should be listed as well, within a margin of error of course.

The GT makes 435 HP, but the average consumer doesn't know that they're really getting ~380 WHP.

435 HP definitely looks a hell of a lot better than 380 WHP, which is why the crank HP is used as a selling point.

Obviously, the majority of consumers really don't care, but it would be nice to see WHP numbers in the advertisements.
lol its not used as a selling point. its used because they develop the engine and that is what the engine makes.. the engine doesnt make 380 it makes 435. non of our cars technically make 380 hp. thats just the way common people measure it. but manufactures develop the motors so they need to say what the motors make.. which is 435.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
lol its not used as a selling point. its used because they develop the engine and that is what the engine makes.. the engine doesnt make 380 it makes 435. non of our cars technically make 380 hp. thats just the way common people measure it. but manufactures develop the motors so they need to say what the motors make.. which is 435.

It's not??? LOL

Take Dodge lately, their Scat Pack promotions. What do we see in their commercials and mag ads?

485HP plastered front and center...:)

Agreed on the actual numbers..Crank HP is the accepted number.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The boss 429 broke into the high 12's

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The Boss 429 was a mid 13 car show room stock. It needed better/bigger tires to get into the 12s.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
The Boss 429 was a mid 13 car show room stock. It needed better/bigger tires to get into the 12s.
Correct, mid to high 13's are what Boss 429's ran.

A period tester of muscle cars borrowed a new Boss 429 off a dealer showroom and took it to the drags. He pulled a 13.60@106 mph at Raceway Park in Englishtown, powershifting at 5500 rpm (this gave him the best ET).

The info on this (and other cars he tested) can be found in his e-book "Muscle Car Confidential."

Then a few years back, Dream Car Garage tested some old muscle cars running in bone stock condition. Among them was a Boss 429, where they netted a 13.73 ET.

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Out of all the ppl that ask the hp of my car, I almost never get asked about torque.
I hate to say this because of the typical arguments that always ensue, but engine torque is mostly meaningless. If you want to calculate how fast a car is in the quarter mile, what information do you use? HP and weight. You can't make any calculations about how fast a car will be by using just engine torque.

Horsepower is used because it tells you how much torque can be made at the wheels through gearing.
Sponsored