Sponsored

Stock Mustangs HP actual power

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Can you just imagine what the guys on the Camaro and Challenger forums are saying about this thread right now?:D
This supposes the Camaro 6G guys can lay off the Miller Lite long enough to make sense of it.
Sponsored

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Crank HP is more consistent. It's a good number to use for really basic sales comparison. This way the manufacturer doesn't need to rate every variant of the car slightly different.

Anybody who knows even a little about cars will know the difference between crank and rwhp anyway.

At least today's crank ratings aren't fudged like in the old days, where they calculated HP without all the motor's other components, lulz.
To complicate matters more, the big three used to report less HP than actual, to get better ins rates on some muscle cars. In that case, they might have actually been close to the same wheel hp as rated crank hp. Then you have the detuned versions of engines that took some simple changes to make big hp. Then there's hp and torque curve differences. Besides, advertised peak is not the whole story but that's what we are stuck with. A lot of ppl ignore tq numbers too, which baffles me. Out of all the ppl that ask the hp of my car, I almost never get asked about torque.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
To complicate matters more, the big three used to report less HP than actual, to get better ins rates on some muscle cars. In that case, they might have actually been close to the same wheel hp as rated crank hp. Then you have the detuned versions of engines that took some simple changes to make big hp. Then there's hp and torque curve differences. Besides, advertised peak is not the whole story but that's what we are stuck with. A lot of ppl ignore tq numbers too, which baffles me. Out of all the ppl that ask the hp of my car, I almost never get asked about torque.

I got you bro. Hey. What's your wheel torque rating?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
7 torques (In a Jeremy Clarkson voice)

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is why a lot of the major magazines list hp in their test as "claimed" hp, unless the magazine dyno's the car themselves-which they sometimes do.

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
somehow I've always known about the difference in crank vs wheel hp.

or maybe because I took physics in high school so when we're talking about cars in school yard we actually knew what we're talking about.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As much as you all wish that wheel horsepower is a reasonable rating, there's way more factors that go into that too. Example, if you had a car that had 3.55 and 3.73 ratios, your wheel power is going to be different. Now add in the mix for automatics vs manuals, etc etc. You really want to mill through 3 or 4 different power ratings for the same car? I'm good with crank rating and throwing it on the dyno.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
clown question bro

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
somehow I've always known about the difference in crank vs wheel hp.

or maybe because I took physics in high school so when we're talking about cars in school yard we actually knew what we're talking about.
You like.... some sort of genius or something?! Surprised you haven't put your IQ rating in your signature yet!:D:thumbsup:

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
This is why a lot of the major magazines list hp in their test as "claimed" hp, unless the magazine dyno's the car themselves-which they sometimes do.
The big three journals just list the manufacturer's hp rating, that's it.

... if you had a car that had 3.55 and 3.73 ratios, your wheel power is going to be different ... Now add in the mix for automatics vs manuals ...
To my knowledge, gearing will have little/no effect on wheel hp. But transmission and drive type (AWD vs RWD/FWD) will as a result of normal drive train losses.

To complicate matters more, the big three used to report less HP than actual, to get better ins rates on some muscle cars ...
Yeah, that was a long time ago. lol

It's interesting to note that the legendary 426 Hemi was carried over 100% intact the first year the manufacturer's went from Gross to Net ratings. It was rated at 350 Net (flywheel) hp.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Dyno runs are good for one thing... Tuning and seeing the results (If done correctly)

Other wise, it's a questionable who has the bigger tool contest.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
You like.... some sort of genius or something?! Surprised you haven't put your IQ rating in your signature yet!:D:thumbsup:
:D Well, he took Physics in High School, but I took physics in pre-school. IQ of 761. You know it is true, because it is on the internet. :ninja:

With all my IQ, I can still not tell why this thread is still alive, or at the very least, moved to Off Topic section because it is lame... :cheers:

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I always heard that BMW(and Porsche) rates their HP closer to WHP rather than BHP.. from seeing how a stock 335i can pull on me.. I'd believe it Lol.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
I've also noticed BMW's testing a lot better than they should. My guess is they are taking their advertised ratings at a lower rpm rather than at peak numbers.
Sponsored