Sponsored

Stock Mustangs HP actual power

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Too many variables for manufacturers to rate as wheel horsepower... transmission type, rear end ratios, tire and wheel size combos would all affect RWHP.

Not to mention this would make the ratings lower, and that ain't cool.
The driveline loss effect would make matters even worse for AWD owners. I wonder how many Subaru WRX STi owners would be turned off knowing their car rated at 305hp crank only puts down ~245hp at the wheels...
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Ah come on.. I thought we covered all of this back in 1996.

This was the biggest issue and most frustrating thing I dealt with when I had a dyno shop...

Customer: "But my car is rated at 400hp... and your dyno shows it only makes 350hp. Your dyno reads low man. It is a piece of crap and I'm going to tell everyone on the interwebs...man"

Me: :frusty:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Ah come on.. I thought we covered all of this back in 1996.

This was the biggest issue and most frustrating thing I dealt with when I had a dyno shop...

Customer: "But my car is rated at 400hp... and your dyno shows it only makes 350hp. Your dyno reads low man. It is a piece of crap and I'm going to tell everyone on the interwebs...man"

Me: :frusty:
And usually when you are hanging around car people, tuners. When they refer to a car as having "X amount of HP" they are usually referring to the wheels and not the crank. You gotta know your crowd. Sometimes I refer my car as WHP, or sometimes CHP depending on the people I talk to.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=25003]wireeater[/MENTION] Hey what's up Rich! I came from the WRX family too. You still have them? I had a 2006 WRX as my first turbo car. I'm enjoying the ecoboost so far but I do miss the boxer sound!
Nope. I got rid of my 15 when I got the Mustang. My past 3 new cars were STi/WRX/WRX, was ready for something different. I will be patiently awaiting an STi refresh with hopefully more power and the FA engine. I liked my 15 but with my mods, I was hitting the ceiling for reliability.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
Nope. I got rid of my 15 when I got the Mustang. My past 3 new cars were STi/WRX/WRX, was ready for something different. I will be patiently awaiting an STi refresh with hopefully more power and the FA engine. I liked my 15 but with my mods, I was hitting the ceiling for reliability.
Ditto. I had an 05 STi with 415whp. I knew even that was risky and i wanted more pawr. So, i traded it for the stang. The day Subaru gets their shit together and gives their pride and joy what it deserves, will be the day i test drive another one.

Sponsored

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Ditto. I had an 05 STi with 415whp. I knew even that was risky and i wanted more pawr. So, i traded it for the stang. The day Subaru gets their shit together and gives their pride and joy what it deserves, will be the day i test drive another one.
wouldn't hold your breathe for that day to come, old Nasioc guy here that had an 07 STI, 11 WRX and a 15 WRX...

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium

If the 2017 BRZ had been refreshed with a turbo FA engine, I would be patiently waiting for deliver right now instead of driving my GT.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
05, 05 and 13 STI's, all white here...lol.

I was looking at the new WRX with the FA motor, but their reliability scared me away.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Crank HP is more consistent. It's a good number to use for really basic sales comparison. This way the manufacturer doesn't need to rate every variant of the car slightly different.

Anybody who knows even a little about cars will know the difference between crank and rwhp anyway.

At least today's crank ratings aren't fudged like in the old days, where they calculated HP without all the motor's other components, lulz.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
wouldn't hold your breathe for that day to come, old Nasioc guy here that had an 07 STI, 11 WRX and a 15 WRX...
:lol: I'll never hold my breathe for Subaru to do something different with the STi.

If the 2017 BRZ had been refreshed with a turbo FA engine, I would be patiently waiting for deliver right now instead of driving my GT.
THAT would be a bold move.

I was looking at the new WRX with the FA motor, but their reliability scared me away.
I'm on my 4th Subie. I tend to like the Foresters for daily purposes these days.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)

FA is appearing to be more reliable than the EJ. FA weak spot seemed to be the rods bending with too much low end torque. I was running water/meth on my FA with the other bolt ons, stock turbo and block. When tuning we made over 400wtq but I had them keep everything under 350 to the wheels which seems to be the sweet spot for the FA. I had 57k on it when I got rid of it. Only thing I replaced was my stock clutch. Seemed like most the issues came from people running E85. Coyote definitely gives me more headroom this time when I want to build :).

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
FA is appearing to be more reliable than the EJ. FA weak spot seemed to be the rods bending with too much low end torque. I was running water/meth on my FA with the other bolt ons, stock turbo and block. When tuning we made over 400wtq but I had them keep everything under 350 to the wheels which seems to be the sweet spot for the FA. I had 57k on it when I got rid of it. Only thing I replaced was my stock clutch. Seemed like most the issues came from people running E85. Coyote definitely gives me more headroom this time when I want to build :).
Had a coworker with protune stg II pop his motor with less than 20k on it. I never had issues with mine, but I try to keep fairly close to stock power levels for reliability. Straight line performance was never my focus. I'm having fun learning to setup and what to expect out of a high hp rwd car.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Had a coworker with protune stg II pop his motor with less than 20k on it. I never had issues with mine, but I try to keep fairly close to stock power levels for reliability. Straight line performance was never my focus. I'm having fun learning to setup and what to expect out of a high hp rwd car.
It's funny, that is always the trend it seems. WRX/STi owners usually upgrade to a Mustang series car. I've always been a big fan of Mustangs and the time was right to finally move on it.

Here is my WRX. I did love the car and put a lot of work into but I seem to have more excitement about the Mustang.

https://wheelwell.com/profile/56fafb3cb1f15bfd6bbe194d/vehicles/56fafb3cb1f15bfd6bbe194f/specs/

OP
OP
Stangman21

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2016 Premium
It's funny, that is always the trend it seems. WRX/STi owners usually upgrade to a Mustang series car. I've always been a big fan of Mustangs and the time was right to finally move on it.

Here is my WRX. I did love the car and put a lot of work into but I seem to have more excitement about the Mustang.

https://wheelwell.com/profile/56fafb3cb1f15bfd6bbe194d/vehicles/56fafb3cb1f15bfd6bbe194f/specs/
Nice Rich! Subs were very fun to drive. I didn't know it was having a lot of reliability issues on the recent models.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Can you just imagine what the guys on the Camaro and Challenger forums are saying about this thread right now?:D
Sponsored